• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] What is known about the Passion?

I'm actually considering pulling my passions in favor of something else, and the undertaker is one of the two up for the job (the other is the heat). How would you say the passion and undertaker compare, in terms of fade?

I haven't had a ton of throws with the passion to really tease out some details, but the undertaker seems like it has a more predictable fade in a broad range of conditions with a little less 'float'. It's a little difficult to describe, but it's like they fade the same amount but the undertaker will actually get to the ground faster? I'd say that if an undertaker is too overstable for a 'straight to fade' type disc for you, a passion would be a good candidate. The heat is a wildly different type of disc in my experience, the passion and undertaker are definitely stable fairways, they just get their distance in much different ways. The 1.0 of the passion feels correct when compared to the 1.4 of the undertaker.

I haven't had a ton of throws with the passion to really tease out some details, but the undertaker seems like it has a more predictable fade in a broad range of conditions with a little less 'float'. It's a little difficult to describe, but it's like they fade the same amount but the undertaker will actually get to the ground faster? I'd say that if an undertaker is too overstable for a 'straight to fade' type disc for you, a passion would be a good candidate. The heat is a wildly different type of disc in my experience, the passion and undertaker are definitely stable fairways, they just get their distance in much different ways. The 1.0 of the passion feels correct when compared to the 1.4 of the undertaker.

The Heat usually is a wildly different disc, but I've been throwing the Cryztal Sparkle ones from Ledgestone, and they're so different from normal heats, they aren't really a Heat...

The Passion is a great disc for the shot I need, but I'm having trouble getting the nose angle consistent with how it sits in my hand. A lot of times I don't get the height I need, and it's cost me strokes at events. The Heat I've been throwing flies like a longer Passion that's easier to grip, but it's limited edition and not being run right now. So I'm hoping the Undertaker can fit the same shot, without dumping like my Athenas do. I started bagging the Athena because the Undertaker was too flippy, but I didn't throw it enough to know whether I trust its fade on a corridor shot, where ground play could really punish me...

The Heat usually is a wildly different disc, but I've been throwing the Cryztal Sparkle ones from Ledgestone, and they're so different from normal heats, they aren't really a Heat...

The Passion is a great disc for the shot I need, but I'm having trouble getting the nose angle consistent with how it sits in my hand. A lot of times I don't get the height I need, and it's cost me strokes at events. The Heat I've been throwing flies like a longer Passion that's easier to grip, but it's limited edition and not being run right now. So I'm hoping the Undertaker can fit the same shot, without dumping like my Athenas do. I started bagging the Athena because the Undertaker was too flippy, but I didn't throw it enough to know whether I trust its fade on a corridor shot, where ground play could really punish me...

As some one who's bag is pretty similar to yours, and who currently bags an Athena, Passion, Heat and Undertaker, the Undertaker has too much fade for the shot you're looking for. My suggestion would be to find a Mantis and try that as it's the closest thing to the -2,2 flight Discraft has to offer in that speed range.

I suppose you could try an Undertow from DGA but that might be a bit faster than you're looking for.

Last edited:
As some one who's bag is pretty similar to yours, and who currently bags an Athena, Passion, Heat and Undertaker, the Undertaker has too much fade for the shot you're looking for. My suggestion would be to find a Mantis and try that as it's the closest thing to the -2,2 flight Discraft has to offer in that speed range.

I suppose you could try an Undertow from DGA but that might be a bit faster than you're looking for.

I've got a Mantis, but it's a mutant. More overstable than my old (non-SS) Avengers. Seeing how far they can do in that direction, I'm hesitant to pick up another. I'll try giving a friends one a shot though, thanks!

I threw the passion a lot yesterday on a course that has several fairly demanding drives through gaps in the woods. I kind of hate how much I like it. Handles powering up for me pretty well (pushing it out to 330-350 fairly easily) and there isn't a lot of left to right movement in any phase of the flight. It's definitely got my seal of approval as a point and shoot fairway.

There are often times where I'm not sure if a fresh undertaker or a worn raptor is right for a certain shot, and having a passion might just be something to make that decision more simple. I think the passion is what I expected a pipeline to be

After throwing the passion for a few weeks, my ESP seems to have hit the broken in phase where it actually flies like a -1/1 disc. I picked up a couple of bigZ and they seem to be straighter and can handle a bit more power when new vs an ESP. I'm not sure I like the broken in ESP flight as much now, it's a bit more difficult to judge the turn on since it's a big diameter disc. Like, it seems to turn a bit later in it's flight, which makes a hyzer flip a bit harder to parse, which is unfortunate because it's my preferred angle/shot in the woods. I might have to get the Lucid-X Mavericks back out to see how different they fly and what I'm more comfortable with.

After throwing the passion for a few weeks, my ESP seems to have hit the broken in phase where it actually flies like a -1/1 disc. I picked up a couple of bigZ and they seem to be straighter and can handle a bit more power when new vs an ESP. I'm not sure I like the broken in ESP flight as much now, it's a bit more difficult to judge the turn on since it's a big diameter disc. Like, it seems to turn a bit later in it's flight, which makes a hyzer flip a bit harder to parse, which is unfortunate because it's my preferred angle/shot in the woods. I might have to get the Lucid-X Mavericks back out to see how different they fly and what I'm more comfortable with.

Yeah that's been my experience too, but I just pair them with the Z Glo ones that they did for GMC a couple years back and those will hold power nicely...or more recently a stock run Athena.

Latest posts