• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the worst shot you've ever thrown?

I was having a bad round and stupidly decided "screw it, I'll throw a roller on the most uphill hole in the course." The disc flew about 100 feet, landed, rolled uphill a bit, and then turned around. Over the next 30 seconds, I watched the disc slowly switchback down the hill, ending up about 5 feet in front of the tee box.

I had a 150' wide-open simple upshot throwing across a hillside. I messed up the arm angle standing on the slope and threw an accidental big turnover with an Aviar. It turned and turned, went into some woods, somehow missed everything, kept turning over a creek through more woods, kept turning and kept turning. The hillside kept sloping away so even as it dropped there was no ground for it to crash into. It was the most seeing eye shot I've ever thrown; it never did hit anything despite flying through heavy woods. It was kinda cool in that once it had turned back so far that it was even with me, I was above it looking down at it. It eventually landed down at the base of the hill by the creek about 100' behind where I had thrown it from. It was so epically horrible that it was funny before it even landed. I couldn't throw the same shot again if I tried.

Last edited:
back to back boomerang rollers

I was playing Veterns in arlington texas on a windy spring day. Because of the steady 25 mph wind (gust probably in the 40's) ,on one of the few wide open holes, I decided the best option was to attempt a roller. As I let it go I was quiet happy as it hit and ran forward for a bit. Then it did a reverse curl. Usually my rollers, will curve towards the inside of disc back to the right. This one decided to start rolling into the upside of the disc to the left making on of the longest turns I had ever seen. The wind kept pushing it back. By the time I finally walked to where my disc had stopped my playing partner had holed out. I am now further away then what my tee shot was. I then tried a second roller. It did roll back right but ended up only about 20 feet infront of me...after its long return to me. It hit and ran about 100 feet infront of me but came back as well. Two boomerang types of throw made me decided maybe the rollers where just as bad of an idea

The worse shot I have ever seen was thrown by my cousin. He takes his run up on the tee and throws his disc RHBH and rolls his wrist so badly while at the same time having the lip angle pointed up that he skys the disc it breaks right and fades to land about twenty feet behind the tee. I have also seen him miss and fall down on a drop in putt.

so many

Anytime I'm behind a wall of trees and I try the utility shot rather than the smart lateral toss back into the fairway for the 4, disc ends up behind me or next to me - lather rinse repeat...that has to be the worst
Yet - what about all the times I DID throw the smart shot back into the fairway only to Geek the next shot, two putt and take 5 for " playing smart" :doh:

For a Specific shot though, it would have to be in a doubles tourney I was in this summer. Hole plays along side of a road to the right, and all the room in the world on the left. The basket is 30' left of road and 30' behind the only tree in the fairway 365ish. My partner, a flicker, releases too flat and squirts OB right. All I ,RHBH, have to do is be in play in what is basically a football field left. For some inexplicable reason I decided to be a hero and pipe one down the road and skip in at the basket rather than just keep left. I get an OB slider in the middle of the road and a pissed off partner. :wall: :wall:

Last edited:
More people need to use the optional rethrow rule and a lot of the 6s, 7s, and 8s, would turn into 4s and 5s :doh:

Hole 13, Bellamy Park is considered a difficult 3 but it's technically a par 4. A few months ago in a league round I parked the drive about 3ft from the basket for what I thought was a drop in Eagle. The pin is on a steep, wooded hill so I think you can imagine what happened. I went to drop it in but apparently wasn't paying any attention at all because I missed and it flipped off the rim of the basket and rolled. And man did it roll! The thing rolled about 125ft down the hill, over a log, through a swampy area on hole 12, and into the friggin river. All said and done I turned a drop in 2 into a 6. :doh:

Especially here where you rethrow from your previous lie and drop in for 4 :popcorn:

Any water carry where I think that I can make it over, but don't.

One of my worst throws was probably one of my best on hole 15 at Seven Springs. An 810' hole down the double black diamond run at the ski resort. I decided that I needed a driver to reach the whole and pulled out a beast. Threw it on a beautiful line right at the basket... and over... and over the trees... and over the road... and over more trees... to who knows where. I had to of thrown it easily 1200 feet.

c8cba14f.jpg

There are so many I can't pick just one so I picked one approach & one putt (Any Drive on Hole #14 at Rotary Park - That hole kills me!).

Approach : Alum Creek Hole #9 - 2010 Am Worlds.
Great Tee shot through the woods and in the open on the other side. Laying 75'-100' away from a very easy 3. Right before throwing I notice one small dead limb hanging down about 20' in front of me and may a mental note "Don't hit that". If I had not seen it I would have been OK, I proceed to throw straight at the limb (which didn't look big enough to deflect anything!) and my disc kicks hard right no where near the basket. I was frustrated and didn't refocus so through my next up-shot (I'm still 75-80 feet away!) 40' past the basket and missed the comeback putt. Easy 3 turned into a 5
because of one brief mental malfunction - Finished one shot behind the last spot in the finals in MM1!

Putt - Rotary Park #6 CSX Tourney 2009
Tee shot 35' from the pin with a crazy drop off 3 feet behind it. Noticed the wind so decided to layup and take my 3 - Terrible decision/execution. Tossed the putt to the short right of the basket and landed on a small clump of grass. Putter bounced up, kissed off the pole and started it's long journey over the hill 100' away to the OB. Crazy layup turned a 3 into a 6! Lost in a playoff!

Last edited:
Deerfield in Irvine

I think it's hole 4 or 5, been ages since I played there.

Crappy designed course had u shooting over the volleyball sand court. I launched a massive anhyzer but my purse got in the way and it came down short and fast. Ol school champion plastic came down like a bolt of lightning from the hand of Zeus and hit this kid in the grape as my friends and I screamed warnings. Kid (maybe 12 years old?) immediately punches his friend in the face after being hit w/ the disc. Kid is shocked he got belted and points out disc in sand to friend.

We all lol our faces off.

I bounced a FB off a mando tree 7 feet from the tee on wednesday night. Bounced left off the tree and smashed the window in a shed. Fail on my part

More people need to use the optional rethrow rule and a lot of the 6s, 7s, and 8s, would turn into 4s and 5s :doh:

I never knew this rule until a few weeks ago when it was making its rounds on this site. I will def keep this in the back of my mind for one of these catastrophic failure/unlucky break holes like this.

It's a rule you NEVER want to have to use....but its great that 1-2 times in your life (hopefully that's it) that you have to use it.

I was playing doubles yesterday with a local high school club. These kids haven't played much, some have never played. My partner parked an upshot and I said,"I'm not sure I want to embarrass myself by throwing now." I decided to actually do it too. I proceeded to throw an upshot into a tree, completely out of my line that was about 5 ft away from me. It was quite hilarious.

I had a drive land in some nasty shiat at a tourney this year. Tried an escape sidearm and ended up hitting a tree during my pull. Clocked my self in the neck and the disc landed on my mini.

i often hit myself in the chest on my pull through when im trying to put alot of power on it and usually ends up right in the ground in front of me. coolest bad drive ive seen is when my buddy drove a putter and hit the first tree and it just exploded.

I had been bragging to my younger brother that I had figured out a thumber-skip shot with my Orc that works perfeclty on a tough hole on our local course. So when we showed up at that hole in the BYOP alternate shot doubles, of course it was my throw off the tee. I pull out my Orc, throw the thumber that's supposed to land upside down and make an elegant skip down to the basket. Instead I grip-lock my thumb and the disc smashes into the ground next to my feet. So my brother got to take the 2nd throw from the tee pad, and has yet (2 years later) to forget about it.

Same course for intimidation doubles. Wide open 300' field hole. One guy kneels about 50' in front of the tee pad and waves his arms to distract the guy teeing off. He throws a screaming drive (strong headwind, threw a destroyer) that cathes the guy kneeling right on the bridge of the nose. Broken nose, stitches, lots of blood.

At a tournament last month, a friend of mine threw his favorite vector off the tee for a spike hyzer over a small pond to the basket maybe 225' away. He deflected off a tree on the far side of the pond, bounced off an upside down canoe on the edge of the pond, and splashed down in the middle of the pond. Had the canoe not been there, he probably would not have found the water. This pond was man-made and was about 20' deep in the middle and had very muddy water. No discs ever come back from it.

i often hit myself in the chest on my pull through when im trying to put alot of power on it and usually ends up right in the ground in front of me. coolest bad drive ive seen is when my buddy drove a putter and hit the first tree and it just exploded.

Thats pretty damn awesome. What was the putter?

I saw a drive hit a boulder and almost split the disc in two.

i was playing with the best player in town and was ready to throw my drive on the first tee. Trying to show off i really tried to let one loose and threw one with all i had. The disc got stuck in my hand and went 275 right and backwards. The best player in my town laughed at me for 5 minutes. :wall: :doh:

Lets see if anyone can beat this. At a tourny at Veterans Memorial Park in Parma, OH earlier this spring, they set up an additional hole as an "island" hole on an open field. They set a basket up on top of some hay bales maybe 5 feet off the ground and then drew a 60 foot diameter circle (30 feet to the basket) around it. The tee was maybe 175' from the basket. Your drive had to land into the circle (the island) to be good, or you got a penalty stroke and you re-tee from the original tee. No drop zone and no maximum amount of tries. You throw untill you make it. And you were not allowed to collect your thrown discs to use again. In practice I nailed it over and over but during play it was a different story.

Well, my first drive I thought was golden. landed in the circle but then skipped out. The wind was blowing pretty good making drives crazy. M 2nd drive was headed right for the basket until a gust of wind lifted it over the basket and soared past the circle. Now I am throwing discs that I didn't want to throw and nothing was working. I ended up emptying my bag! All 11 discs that I carry! Including putters! The TD comes by and I ask, What now? He says collect my discs and try again. Of course I hit the circle on my first drive of the 2nd batch but I am now rattled beyond belief. I 3 putt it in and end up with a 25 for the hole effectively putting me out of contention for the 2 day, 3 round event and though I finished out the day, I pulled out of the tourny and did not return.

Most people felt that a tournament should not have a single hole that can take you completely out of contention, and I heard they changed the rule for the 2nd day with a 3 drive max ajnd then a drop zone. They learned their lesson and so did I. Stay cool and make your shot that you know how to make.

Rick G

Latest posts