• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

what scares you on a course and how have you dealt with it.

danhyzer

Birdie Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I've played over 600 courses all around the
World. And don't ussually get spooked to easy. I've been in some really seedy parks where you might wonder if your car will be there when your finished with your round. I've even played a course in Columbia, S.C. (Owens Field Park) once as when I was getting my gear on a car pulled up and 2 guys got out and went out to play the course but they started on hole # 3 instead of # 1, when I caught up to them, one of the guys didn't want me to see his face and was very clear he didn't want to recognized as he kept turning around in circles nervously when I approached the hole they we're on. I sensed with the neighborhood I was in and his actions that he was wanted by the law and that I should just ask if I could play through instead of telling them what I was doing in their area. I played the Timber Beast course in Troy, Montana. Knowing I was in bear country. And did get a little scared when a small Black Bear popped up from the bushes near hole # 6 basket as I was appoaching my disc that I just drove from the river bank.

But nothing scares me more than SNAKES :eek:. And I'm asking thoose people who have encountered a snake situation and what they did about their picticular situation. As I'm planning to go out west next year and play some courses that rattlesnakes, copperheads and moccasins are known to live and what should I do if I encountered a situation like reaching down for my disc and hearing a "rattle" or walking down the fairway and come across a poisonous snake. What do the Floridians do when playing a course that is know for Gators, I'm curious. I know what I should do and not do, but was wondering if anyone had any scary experiences they'd like to share so we all can learn from other people's bad situations.

About bears:

The Park Service advises disc golfers in Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper. LOL

About snakes and other animals:

Having been raised in south Texas most of my life, worked for a veternerian through high school and college and hunted most of the North American continent for big game, there aren't many animals that concern me except the two legged kind.

Humans can be unpredictable and violent without being provoked especially if they think you have something they want.

Having owned pool rooms and bars for over twenty years, I would leave the bar late at night sometimes carrying large amounts of money. I always carried a piece with me and never really had a problem.

A couple of times, just flashing a piece ended any problem. The retards brought a knife to a gun fight. LOL

When Texas enacted the concealed handgun law, I was probably one of the first in line to get a license. I sold my businesses some time ago, but old habits die hard. I've never had to use it but as the saying goes, I don't leave home without it. Both of my beautiful daughters are licensed also.

It's always better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

Woodpecker

Humans can be unpredictable and violent without being provoked especially if they think you have something they want.

It was my impression that bears can be the same way, though I've never met one. A bear would scare me much more than a snake.

When I was younger, I use to go to New Mexico and Colorado every spring to bowhunt for bear.

What's really dangerous is a mother with cubs. If you see cubs and no mother, leave quietly and quickly.

People don't realize how fast a bear can run. I would estimate between 15 and 25 mph. They are fast.

I have seen a bear run full tilt UP a pine tree as fast as it did across flat ground. Spooky stuff!

On my first bear hunt, I took a .357 Colt Python. After what I saw, the next year, I took a .44 Mag. I got the impression the .357 would have just made it mad.

I quit hunting about 15 years ago. I realized that is wasn't the hunting that got me going. It was just being outside in nature. I can have as much fun with a camera now.

That's probably the biggest reason I love DG. Just getting out into nature. Well, that and chunking one 300'+ right down the pipe. LOL

Woodpecker

Woodpecker

So does the young lady in your photos get spooked by you following her around and taking her picture all of the time? :D
Probably a bit, yeah ;)

snake stories

But nothing scares me more than SNAKES . And I'm asking thoose people who have encountered a snake situation and what they did about their picticular situation.

I've encountered a few snakes while playing disc golf. Water snakes, gardner snakes, rat snakes, rattlesnakes etc.

Exhibit 1a: I was playing a round at Hobson Grove in Bowling Green KY with a couple friends. My drive on hole #2 landed on the edge of the fairway near some tall grass. I grabbed my disc and as I was about to throw my 2nd shot I felt something move. Looking down, I was stepping on the tail of a 3 foot long rat snake. I jumped back and the 2 guys I was playing with took off running. Scary, but no harm no foul.

Exhibit 1b: Also, hole #2 at Hobson Grove park. Right before you reach the basket there is a sinkhole like area with lots of rocks and underbrush. As I was walking through I heard some noise but thought nothing of it. When I spotted my disc it was in an akward position. I had to bend over and reach to grab it. As I pulled my disc out I heard something shaking.. Just a couple feet away I saw 2 baby rattlesnakes curled up. Must have been their nest, I got out of there fast!

Exhibit 2a: Veterans Park in Lexington KY has a few holes that run along the edge of a small creek. In the summer it is not uncommon to see water snakes in the creek. Luckily they don't come out of the water - but I have seen quite a few of them here.

Exhibit 2b: Also at Veterans Park in Lexington. I guess these were gardner snakes... but it really scared the crap out of me. I was walking through the woods and paused near the edge of walk path. I looked back as I waited for my friend to catch up, and I saw a large green snake hanging out in a tree about 2 feet away. This thing could have dropped right on my shoulder!

I played Pease Park in Austin on Thanksgiving day with my brother. You have to go under a bridge at one point and it is where a bunch of homeless people live. There is cardboard laying everywhere that they sleep on. There are bags of clothes everywhere. You can see toilet paper thrown around and smell shit as you walk under the bridge. There was a huge sign spray-painted on one wall that said "You don't fuck with tbone cause tbone will fucking kill you" and there is a self portrait of tbone. He is even holding a stick with a bandana tied to the end like a hobo. It was pretty scary.

We found out later that the locals never go under the bridge but have created an alternate teepad up above the bridge by the road. I don't know what we would have done if tbone had jumped us.

Bears shmears... I'm not scared of bears or snakes I just spent the last few months living in the woods with hundreds of bears and snakes. Mountain lions are what ya gotta watch for, they'll sneak up on you and BAM you won't even know what hit you.
I was hiking with a guy that told me a friend of his got into a fighting match with a smaller one. The guy was a wrestler in high school and just put the lion in a pin after getting a little scratched and bit up. The lion didn't really expect that and they both just sat there for a bit. When he finally let got it just took off but he was pretty messed up. Their teeth and claws are razor sharp. I always practiced stabbing motions with my hiking poles just in case I had such an encounter.

As for being a Floridian and having to deal with gators... There are only a few lakes in Florida with gators that will eat you. Dogs are another story, gators have been know to go after smaller or medium sized dogs. Most of them run away from humans. Gators are in every lake down here and if you are scared of them you will never be able to swim. What you gotta watch for is those damn crocs in south Florida. They live in the brackish water and have even been seen out in the surf. They'll eat you so quick it'll make jaws look tame.

I'm also scared of large homeless people with that evil monkey look in their eye... I was thinking about sharpening my bosses edges and using it as a weapon since I can't throw that pos.

I played Pease Park in Austin on Thanksgiving day with my brother. You have to go under a bridge at one point and it is where a bunch of homeless people live. There is cardboard laying everywhere that they sleep on. There are bags of clothes everywhere. You can see toilet paper thrown around and smell shit as you walk under the bridge. There was a huge sign spray-painted on one wall that said "You don't fuck with tbone cause tbone will fucking kill you" and there is a self portrait of tbone. He is even holding a stick with a bandana tied to the end like a hobo. It was pretty scary.

We found out later that the locals never go under the bridge but have created an alternate teepad up above the bridge by the road. I don't know what we would have done if tbone had jumped us.

Thats just scary ... seriously scary

Snakes

I encountered a large 5' to 6' black snake sunning himself shortly after playing through a couple playing. Scared the crap out of me because I almost stepped on him and he didn't move. Waited two more holes listening for the scream. And just when I thought it wasn't coming I heard the beautiful screech of an absolutetilty terrified female and the laugh of her male companion

The scariest thing I ever see on a course are trees, water, steep drop offs, OOB and did I mention trees. But seriously, I think the reason I enjoy disc golf the most is because of the very friendly community of people. In a way I hope the sport never gets too popular and hence too spoiled/ruined.

But nothing scares me more than SNAKES :eek:. And I'm asking thoose people who have encountered a snake situation and what they did about their picticular situation. QUOTE]

Recently on the course i was playing with my friend who is 6'4" and weights about 300 lbs. (hes petrified of snakes) so as we were finishing up hole 12 in South Landis Park (Vineland, NJ) i noticed a piece of rubber tubing that kind of resembled a snake so i picked it up and tossed it to. he saw it coming and fell to the ground while shreiking like a girl. he then scooted backwards and was cursing at me for not being funny. I about pissed myself. he then saw it was a piece of rubber and wanted to kill me even more. good times.

I threw a disc in the shule at Jefferson Barracks...hole 16 I think. Anyway, when I went in after it there was a family living in there. They looked pretty scared of me, but I had to have looked at least as scared of them. It was super awkward.

At Rosedale once this older guy was in the parking lot. Rosedale always had a reputation for being a hangout for male prostitutes, so I tried to steer clear of him. He just kept showing up places around the course, like he would go hang out around a tee and when I'd ignore him he would wander up two or three tees and wait for me there. I just kept ignoring him and hoping he would go away. Finally, when I was on the back 9 another guy showed up and he went to preen for him. He was scary. I'd rather take my chances with the bears than have to play another round with him hanging around.

At Rosedale once this older guy was in the parking lot. Rosedale always had a reputation for being a hangout for male prostitutes, so I tried to steer clear of him.

Um, could you tell me where this Rosedale which you speak of is? You know located, maybe a map link or something, so, um, I too can, um steer clear of it. Any idea how much they charge? You know, for a conversation topic and such.

I think EricJ posting a pic to his online gallery than seeing what he actually looks like in spandex biker shorts scares me a bit.

..ok, quite a lot actually.

;-)
"spandex biker shorts"?!? Clearly you have me confused with someone else.

Yeah, Randy also has his Dallas Cowboys dyed discs and a leather belt holster... for his mini.

At Rosedale once this older guy was in the parking lot. Rosedale always had a reputation for being a hangout for male prostitutes, so I tried to steer clear of him.

Um, could you tell me where this Rosedale which you speak of is? You know located, maybe a map link or something, so, um, I too can, um steer clear of it. Any idea how much they charge? You know, for a conversation topic and such.
OK, here is the thing...Kansas City has the weirdest "gay" paranoia I'm aware of. Back when we were in college, there were always rumors that the KC people would spread about the KC athletes being gay. If George Brett had played in St. Louis, no one would have dared say a bad thing about him. But he played in KC, and the folks from KC seemed to love to say "he's gay you know." When Joe Montana played for the Chiefs at the end of his career, I heard a thousand "Joe Montana is gay" rumors...all started by Kansas City people. So from my experience, Kansas City just has a weird homophobic vibe. Anyway, back when Kansas City had two courses (three really, but Oceans of Fun really didn't count) the short story was play Swope if you wanted to get shot and play Rosedale if you wanted to score a gay prostitute. Since then, I've heard "gay prostitute" stories about Waterworks and Cliff Drive as well. For me, it's just part of the Kansas City "everybody is gay" paranoia. I never really noticed anything all that much weirder than you would see on a disc golf course anywhere on any of the Kansas City courses...other than that old dude that one day at Rosedale.