• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

what scares you on a course and how have you dealt with it.

if you see a snake, poke at with a stick, or try to grab it by its tail and swing it around over your head as fast as you can and launch it.

There is a park near me, Barnett Park and it's in the hood. A few holes parallel some back yards and they tell you to go to their houses rather than hop their back fence. Some have big dogs so it is advised to knock. Anyway, we had to do this one day and the lady that answered was some form of Caribbean islander. She made my brother say with hear as a hostage while I went to look for the disc! She was spouting some babel about a million dollars or something so I had to hurry up and look. Exact words "him! he stay with me while you go...million dolla, now go." She really wouldn't let him leave or help me. Their back yard was a full garden with loads of rabbits and chickens for eating. There were also some weird animals I've never see before. After no luck finding the disc I make it back to my brother and he is sitting there on the ground with this lady looming over him. We start to walk away and she insisted we stay for dinner! Long story short we didn't and when he plays with me, he now skips that hole. He never really told me what happen while I left to look for his disc either.

This incident didn't actually happen on the course, but it was while I was on a disc golf road trip and I was in search of a place to stay for the night in Rock Hill, SC where I was going to visit Innova East the next morning. I had just finished spending the day at Winthrop, playing a couple different layouts, so I had the time of my life at the world renowned course. Went to get a bite to eat at a nice restaurant and then it was dark and time for bed. I found an exit that was fairly close to the Innova headquarters with several hotels that looked like they may be in my price range, but definately not some run down crime infested lodging. I started out checking two different hotels prices but they were a bit high for me being on a college student budget. I then went to a third hotel and as I was pulling in I saw in the shadows the figure of a man chasing another man with what appeared to be a gun. I decided this may not be the hotel for me either, so I proceeded to leave quickly. A few seconds later, out of nowhere, an undercover cop car flew up on me with the lights flashing. I pulled over right away and they yelled at me to step out of the car. I did with my hands up as they requested, very slowly. With a gun now drawn on me pointed at my head, a second officer slowly approached me yelling fiercly and asking questions at the same time. "Who are you, what are you doing, let's see your license". I said I was from Wisconsin and I was on a disc golf road trip. After showing them my license and them checking my background, they calmed down and finally housed the weapon. I had done nothing wrong, so I wasn't too scared. In a way it was a bit exhilarating, ha. Well the story goes, there was a car jacking and they had caught the guy (which is what I had witnessed in the darkness), but when they saw me pull out of the parking lot, they thought I was an accomplice who dropped off the car jacker. After they decided I was not involved, they started talking disc golf with me. Innova has done such a tremendous job with promoting disc golf in Rock Hill that nearly everyone knows what it is and enjoys it. Evidently a decent part of the force and the firefighters play often. Moral of the story, disc golf is not a crime :) Oh, and I decided to stay at one of the more expensive hotels.

OK, here is the thing...Kansas City has the weirdest "gay" paranoia I'm aware of. Back when we were in college, there were always rumors that the KC people would spread about the KC athletes being gay. If George Brett had played in St. Louis, no one would have dared say a bad thing about him. But he played in KC, and the folks from KC seemed to love to say "he's gay you know." When Joe Montana played for the Chiefs at the end of his career, I heard a thousand "Joe Montana is gay" rumors...all started by Kansas City people. So from my experience, Kansas City just has a weird homophobic vibe. Anyway, back when Kansas City had two courses (three really, but Oceans of Fun really didn't count) the short story was play Swope if you wanted to get shot and play Rosedale if you wanted to score a gay prostitute. Since then, I've heard "gay prostitute" stories about Waterworks and Cliff Drive as well. For me, it's just part of the Kansas City "everybody is gay" paranoia. I never really noticed anything all that much weirder than you would see on a disc golf course anywhere on any of the Kansas City courses...other than that old dude that one day at Rosedale.

Parks seem to attract gay men. I asked a gay guy I knew about this and he said that before they had bars to hook up in and it was not as acceptable of a lifestyle that guys would hook up at parks. Unfortunately, some still practice this. I've been approached in Nashville at Cedar Hill Park and a couple times at Swinney, here in the Fort. I even found a note on my car once that asked if I needed a caddie or wanted to play some darts to give him a call. I try to just block it out, but sometimes it's just too weird.

There is a park near me, Barnett Park and it's in the hood. A few holes parallel some back yards and they tell you to go to their houses rather than hop their back fence. Some have big dogs so it is advised to knock. Anyway, we had to do this one day and the lady that answered was some form of Caribbean islander. She made my brother say with hear as a hostage while I went to look for the disc! She was spouting some babel about a million dollars or something so I had to hurry up and look. Exact words "him! he stay with me while you go...million dolla, now go." She really wouldn't let him leave or help me. Their back yard was a full garden with loads of rabbits and chickens for eating. There were also some weird animals I've never see before. After no luck finding the disc I make it back to my brother and he is sitting there on the ground with this lady looming over him. We start to walk away and she insisted we stay for dinner! Long story short we didn't and when he plays with me, he now skips that hole. He never really told me what happen while I left to look for his disc either.

Dude that story was awesome. You should have stayed for dinner just for the sake of having more to add to the story.

I played Pease Park in Austin on Thanksgiving day with my brother. You have to go under a bridge at one point and it is where a bunch of homeless people live. There is cardboard laying everywhere that they sleep on. There are bags of clothes everywhere. You can see toilet paper thrown around and smell shit as you walk under the bridge. There was a huge sign spray-painted on one wall that said "You don't fuck with tbone cause tbone will fucking kill you" and there is a self portrait of tbone. He is even holding a stick with a bandana tied to the end like a hobo. It was pretty scary.

We found out later that the locals never go under the bridge but have created an alternate teepad up above the bridge by the road. I don't know what we would have done if tbone had jumped us.

This was very funny but there is a place like this on hole #7 at the Hoyt Grove Park in Stillwater, Ok . There is no painting and no Tbone that I know of but about 5 or 6 homeless beds. I threw my disc in the creek and it floats. But it floated to the other side of the creek which is about 25ft across. I looked of a place to cross but the only place was under the bridge on the rocks between the pillars. There was 3 beds on the southside and 2 or 3 on the northside, They have stacked the rocks up to make little walls so I was hoping no one was there. There was crap everywhere, cloths, trash, shoes, and everything else. I got my disc out and got back to the hole to finish. I fugured it was to cold as its been about 10 degrees at night here but during the summer I bet they're there.

What scares me?

Going into the last hole, being down $50 with $10 in my pocket, doubling up on the bet and shanking my drive deep into the woods.

Now, that's really scary!

Woodpecker

Evidently a decent part of the force and the firefighters play often. Moral of the story, disc golf is not a crime :) Oh, and I decided to stay at one of the more expensive hotels.

I did a bunch of mooching this summer on a thru-hike on the PCT. You should have tried to crash at the fire station for free. Who knows you might even get in a round with some firefighters.

I think that in the Disc Golf directory or in the description of any courses on this web site, it should be noted if the course is in a good neighborhood or a bad one, cause I might wanna bring a lady friend along and what if ?? I always ask this question when asking a local player via the web or some close facsimile of what kind of neighborhood the course is.

At my home course in Kingwood, TX (River Grove Park) the Banana Spiders get really bad in the summer. This keeps most people away from this course. The spiders don't bother me anymore, but the snakes do. While going from the #15 basket to the #16 tee, I noticed a 4ft Copper Head comming right for me. I neither jumped out of my skin. My brother yelled "Whats wrong" and was shocked to see the hair on my arm standing straight up. I used to be afraid of spiders, but now I will take those spiders any day over those snakes

I think that in the Disc Golf directory or in the description of any courses on this web site, it should be noted if the course is in a good neighborhood or a bad one, cause I might wanna bring a lady friend along and what if ?? I always ask this question when asking a local player via the web or some close facsimile of what kind of neighborhood the course is.

I rather to see notes about any wild/dangerous/poisonous wildlife animals in DG courses that I might be encounter rather than knowing what kind of neighborhood/people that I should be watching out for. I cannot discriminate the DG courses based on people/neighborhood itself. Its not fair.

Humans - Can talk to them, can call police onto them, can beat them up or play with them.

Wildlife animals - Can't talk to them not to bite or attack you, they don't tell you that they are right under your nose/hands/feet, they don't care what kind of person you are, or they can't even play game with you!!

People/neighborhood can change all the time through the years by the power of influences. Animals don't because its in their natures.

I rather to see notes about any wild/dangerous/poisonous wildlife animals in DG courses that I might be encounter rather than knowing what kind of neighborhood/people that I should be watching out for. I cannot discriminate the DG courses based on people/neighborhood itself. Its not fair.

Humans - Can talk to them, can call police onto them, can beat them up or play with them.

Wildlife animals - Can't talk to them not to bite or attack you, they don't tell you that they are right under your nose/hands/feet, they don't care what kind of person you are, or they can't even play game with you!!

People/neighborhood can change all the time through the years by the power of influences. Animals don't because its in their natures.

I think both should be noted so people know what to expect. At the same time I don't think either should lower a courses score.