• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What would you do?

westflagator

Bogey Member
So I played a C teir tournmament not long ago and had the strangest thing happen to me. I play rec division. First round everything was good and I played with some fun guys and I was doing good. So after first round we had lunch and I learned I was in first place. I was happy and excited. I have never won a tournmament. So second round started this is where the event happened. One guy had several of his friends with him. Now this is the first event where I seen someone have friends with them during the event. Now i was leading by 4 when we started the round. So after 4 holes the guy and I where still tied. So i can see the guy and his friend whispering and looking at me. It did not bother me but out of the blue his friends just starts talking to me about random stuff. Thought it was strange since I don't know them. Then after 2 more holes it donned on me that they where trying to get me out of my game. I started laughing to myself. I play casual rounds with guys who talk, yell, and play music. Now I got pissed and definitely wanted to win. After all said and done I won. I talked to 2 other players on my card and they said they noticed that his friends where trying to mess with me.

Just thought it was the strangest thing for a guy to have his friends try and get me out of my game.

What would you do if this happened to you and how would you deal with it?

Sounds like you handled it in the best possible way....you won anyway. I'd like to think that's how I'd handle a similar situation. Fortunately it's not a tactic that most players would try to employ to win, especially in the Rec division.

Yeah you kept focused and a little chatter isn't too bad... it's just another distraction on the course luckily that doesn't bug you.

There's a couple guys here who are either super stunned or malicious I'm not sure which but they are constantly in line of sight or near the basket when people are putting.. Oddly enough they are the ones who are rarely in contention and you'd think after 5+ years and people constantly reminding them to move out of the way or not move while putting they might catch on. Or cramping the tee pad too... haha

People try all kinds of crap I've noticed, another guy tries to slow down play as much as possible partly because it's his style but I think also because he gains an advantage by frustrating others and getting in their head...

There's also a fellow that's my rival for DG, good enough guy and we are in contention often.. No worries there but I know if I show up for disc he gets rattled because he has a 2 stroke handicap and I don't just because I don't play as regularly throughout the year.

Last edited:
Sounds like you handled it in the best possible way....you won anyway. I'd like to think that's how I'd handle a similar situation. Fortunately it's not a tactic that most players would try to employ to win, especially in the Rec division.

Yeah I played many tournmaments and this is first time I've seen it happen. I love playing tournmaments but to win at all cost is not me. I play to meet fun people, have a good time. And if i do good or lucky and win then it's icing on the cake. One thing I tell new tournmament players is to have FUN and enjoy. We are not playing for our lively hood.

Yeah you kept focused and a little chatter isn't too bad... it's just another distraction on the course luckily that doesn't bug you.

There's a couple guys here who are either super stunned or malicious I'm not sure which but they are constantly in line of sight or near the basket when people are putting.. Oddly enough they are the ones who are rarely in contention and you'd think after 5+ years and people constantly reminding them to move out of the way or not move while putting they might catch on.

People try all kinds of crap I've noticed, another guy tries to slow down play as much as possible partly because it's his style but I think also because he gains an advantage by frustrating others and getting in their head...

Very sad players act like that. Like I always said Disc Golf is for fun and enjoyment. I try my best to help and not interfere with any other players. If I play with a player who acts rude I will never play with them again or I will voice my opinion and leave it.

Yeah I played many tournmaments and this is first time I've seen it happen. I love playing tournmaments but to win at all cost is not me. I play to meet fun people, have a good time. And if i do good or lucky and win then it's icing on the cake. One thing I tell new tournmament players is to have FUN and enjoy. We are not playing for our lively hood.

I'm with you... but it happens a lot more often than many people notice... it's subtle.. I'm not saying its always intentional but sometimes you start to notice a pattern. Like hey "that guy is behind the basket again".

I played a tournament last weekend same group as my rival... the guy did well at least 6 strokes better on the first half, good for him. It was really windy, I shot poor and was cranky. Pretty happy to end up in a chill group for the last 18, I was trying to keep the guy I was playing with centred since I knew he was within a stroke of beating my rival for 3rd and last payout haha. He didn't, I wouldn't sabotage my rival but I will try to pump up his competition.

I'm with you... but it happens a lot more often than many people notice... it's subtle.. I'm not saying its always intentional but sometimes you start to notice a pattern. Like hey "that guy is behind the basket again".

I played a tournament last weekend same group as my rival... the guy did well at least 6 strokes better on the first half, good for him. It was really windy, I shot poor and was cranky. Pretty happy to end up in a chill group for the last 18, I was trying to keep the guy I was playing with centred since I knew he was within a stroke of beating my rival for 3rd and last payout haha. He didn't, I wouldn't sabotage my rival but I will try to pump up his competition.

Same tournmament as earlier mentioned we had a guy severely grip lock his disc and hit a guy and his truck. Guy was cool and not mad but the player picked up his disc and threw another bad shot. I stopped him and talk to him for second and made him calm down and try and pump him up. I feel like i have more fun when everyone enjoys playing. Us players should always help each other.

Comp Maual 3.05
B. A caddie is a person who carries a player's equipment or provides other assistance during the round. Players may designate one caddie at a time during their round. A caddie must comply with the same PDGA Rules of Play and PDGA Competition Manual their player must follow, including the dress code, although a caddie need not be a PDGA member nor Certified Official.
If the "friends" at any point offered advice to the player, held a towel or disc or handed them a water bottle, would they then be considered caddies and subject to courtesy violations?

I find it hard to believe this hasn't come up before and there be some kind of rule about spectators...

Last edited:
That's when my ear buds go in. Good win, know some people are that desperate. It's about having a good time and getting better. Some chatter is okay while not shooting or walking up to shoot.

If the "friends" at any point offered advice to the player, held a towel or disc or handed them a water bottle, would they then be considered caddies and subject to courtesy violations?

I find it hard to believe this hasn't come up before and there be some kind of rule about spectators...

When I caddied for a friend the most I'd do is hold a towel or possibly a mini.

I talk during the walk up to the discs if others are chatting. Once someone goes to get ready walking to their disc I'm out of sight and shut up.

Considering the player can only designate one of them as his caddy for the round, I'm not sure the rules can be applied to all of them with respect to punishing the player for their behavior.

Spectator control is something that has to come under the purview of the TD, if there's anything to be done at all. Hard to write official rules to govern non-participants, especially when these non-participants may have no connections at all to the players or even the game. How do you classify park users just there to take a walk or have a picnic or let their kids play who stumble upon a playing group and decide to be a nuisance? What's a courtesy violation going to do about them?

What would you do if this happened to you and how would you deal with it?

Tell them to stf up. Seriously..I don't understand why you simply didn't say "hey.. man...don't feel like talking right now." This happened to ME in my first couple C tier tournaments, except I was the guy gabbing to the other players. Finally..they're like.. "dude..not now." lol...

Latest posts