• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Whats Next For Blizzards?

i've thrown some super light valks, leopards and an eagle. they were all flippy as hell.

blizzard technology is not just another way to make discs lighter. it's a way to make discs lighter and keep them stable as their heavier counterparts. one of the blizzard bosses i've thrown was more OS than any boss i've ever thrown.

Is it possible use the blizzard technology in heavier weights??? My blizzard destroyer is cool for open field no wind distance, but it is super tricky to throw in the wind. Could they make a 175 blizzard disc? Would it fly super overstable?

^ WUT?!?! lulz....

Anyways, I think as far as what's next is that we can hope Discraft and/or some other company comes out with an answer to the Blizzard line.

Why don't you just buy a 175 disc? The bubbles don't add stability lol. It is just a way to make discs lighter but keep stability for the most part. A 175 blizzard disc would defeat the purpose of creating a 175 disc or creating blizzard technology.

Is it possible use the blizzard technology in heavier weights??? My blizzard destroyer is cool for open field no wind distance, but it is super tricky to throw in the wind. Could they make a 175 blizzard disc? Would it fly super overstable?

so like a much denser heavier plastic that is more durable/grippy but the bubbles bring it to a legal weight limit....im interested.

i've thrown some super light valks, leopards and an eagle. they were all flippy as hell.

blizzard technology is not just another way to make discs lighter. it's a way to make discs lighter and keep them stable as their heavier counterparts. one of the blizzard bosses i've thrown was more OS than any boss i've ever thrown.

Ill agree that they keep their stability in ideal conditions but as I found out two days ago you add some fierce wind into that equation and all that goes out the window. Myself and two other guys who max out around 480' could not keep them from flipping, getting bounced around and flat out destroyed in the wind. Im not going to say that Blizzard isnt a good technology its just one that that has to be used at the right times.

Some of us have been writing about light weight drivers before Blizzard "tech" became popular.

Lightweight works on a couple of different levels. My favorite driver is a 147g DX Wraith. They don't last long but it really works well for me. The 135g Blizzard Wraith is my next favorite in the line up.

Lightweight drivers have been around for some time. Blizzard tech takes it a step forward in the durable and stability categories but the distance in sendinding lightweight has always been there.

Some of you got it marketed to and it worked out cause you tried it.

The farther away from the pin, the lighter your discs should be. There are exceptions but this is a good place to start.

Try a lightweight driver in other plastics.

They work.

Actually, if they kept the bubbles in the flight plate a 175 Blizz disc would be amazing because it would be like if MVP made a driver.
(more rim density than a standard disc letting it be more gyroscopic)
But I dont think that can/will happen.

The cross section of a ION and a Wizard is quite similar. The density of the outer rubber ring is not that much more (if any) tha day a normal one material disc.

More marketing. How many pros use a ION in play?

Blizzard tech? Pretty light discs huh, got you guys listening.

People, you or someone else need to be sold before you actually try it. Most people need to be a part of the crowd (mentality) before they will speak on their own.

That does not work for me.

I enjoy Blizzard discs because they are really light, durable and easy to obtain. I don't buy MVP discs because the "tech" they market really is not any advantage, their discs do not cover a wide range of weights and molds are limited. I am glad they are marketed to you, nice that there is a market to support.

Blizzard plastic supports the "distance" end of the spectrum. An aspect of disc golf you yourself can actually measure out in the field. That is true performance. Something you can see yourself. But then again, the same company has been addressing this with other light discs for distance, you simply have more choices now.

Marketing.

Technology.

Hmmm.

Distance is easily measurable by the end user. That is why this is working.

Distribution of weight in a disc is an attribute that can be addressed with multiple plastics and or distribution of a void or multiple densities of the same plastic.

Distance in the field is what I'm after. Easily repeatable distance. Discs that are uniform and available.

Not sure why you would want to address additional weight with air. I think a Blizzard flight plate with a more dense plastic rim might do it.

Innova will do it if it will help and they will make it available to you if they haven't already.

Why don't you just buy a 175 disc? The bubbles don't add stability lol. It is just a way to make discs lighter but keep stability for the most part. A 175 blizzard disc would defeat the purpose of creating a 175 disc or creating blizzard technology.

You could conceivably make a large diameter wide rimmed disc that doesn't violate the weight requirements. That's something I might get pretty excited about.

The cross section of a ION and a Wizard is quite similar. The density of the outer rubber ring is not that much more (if any) tha day a normal one material disc.

People, you or someone else need to be sold before you actually try it. Most people need to be a part of the crowd (mentality) before they will speak on their own.

I enjoy Blizzard discs because they are really light, durable and easy to obtain. I don't buy MVP discs because the "tech" they market really is not any advantage, their discs do not cover a wide range of weights and molds are limited. I am glad they are marketed to you, nice that there is a market to support.

Blizzard plastic supports the "distance" end of the spectrum. An aspect of disc golf you yourself can actually measure out in the field. That is true performance. Something you can see yourself. But then again, the same company has been addressing this with other light discs for distance, you simply have more choices now.

Marketing.

Technology.

Hmmm.

Distribution of weight in a disc is an attribute that can be addressed with multiple plastics and or distribution of a void or multiple densities of the same plastic.

Distance in the field is what I'm after. Easily repeatable distance. Discs that are uniform and available.

Not sure why you would want to address additional weight with air. I think a Blizzard flight plate with a more dense plastic rim might do it.

Innova will do it if it will help and they will make it available to you if they haven't already.

I don't think you understand the concept of an overmold, and how it works. It's totally different from Blizzard technology, and choosing one over the other doesn't make sense. Gyro technology isn't designed to make lighter discs, it's designed to take weight from the core and put it around the edge of the disc. That makes discs hold their lines longer and glide farther. If you don't think that is an advantage, well...

I don't buy MVP discs because the "tech" they market really is not any advantage, their discs do not cover a wide range of weights and molds are limited. I am glad they are marketed to you, nice that there is a market to support.

i haven't thrown a ton of mvp discs - axis and ion - but the thing i noticed immediately is the pronounced difference in glide. the molds were designed to be made in premium plastic, which is not the case with the overwhelming majority of discs. especially putters and mids. this is a distinct advantage IMO.

Marketing.

Technology.

Hmmm.

One more thing.

How many pros use an Ion? That is a really silly question/argument. MVP is a really new company, only a few years old. They only have a 4 molds so far, and certainly aren't big enough yet to sponsor any players. Of course no mainstream pros use Ions. The ones that have even heard about MVP and understand the concept are sponsored by bigger companies with more mold selection. Until MVP gets bigger, there is no logical reason for pros to switch from what they're comfortable with. With that said, there are several unsponsored pros like gcrussell (I think that's his username) and discspeed who use MVP in competition.

"Ill agree that they keep their stability in ideal conditions but as I found out two days ago you add some fierce wind into that equation and all that goes out the window. Myself and two other guys who max out around 480' could not keep them from flipping, getting bounced around and flat out destroyed in the wind. Im not going to say that Blizzard isnt a good technology its just one that that has to be used at the right times. "

I'm curious to know which mold(s) and weight(s) you were using, and how windy it was.

I have tried the Blizzard Boss (138), and Destroyer (132) in both headwinds and tailwinds, and they reacted exactly as I would expect a 158 Champ Boss, and a 152 Champ Destroyer would act. Actually, the Boss was more overstable than I expected, even into the wind. I'm not talking crazy wind though.....only about 10-15 miles per hour.

We've had some really crazy winds lately. Like 40-50 miles an hour. I took a CFR Glow Champ Xcaliber out in that and it was super flippy. Just kept turning, and never came back. Nothing is going to handle that kind of wind with any consistency.

One other thing I've noticed about the Blizzard discs....more bubbles in the flight plate = more overstable.

I do believe I understand the distribution of weight in the cross section of a disc.

Call it overmold or anything you desire, it is their manufacturing technique (and marketing) for getting weight out to the edge to enhance gyroscopic effect.

The wide rimmed discs addressed it first.

This is about making a good disc and selling it.

I have no I'll will for any disc company or anyone.

Good luck MVP, I hope you sell a million discs.

I use what works for me. Screw HYPE.

Lightweight works for distance.

GYRO, Blizzard, whatever...

A good disc is a good disc.

Latest posts