• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's your favorite "get-out-of-trouble" shot?

I'm not sure what it's called, but if I am several feet off the right side of the fairway and I'm blocked by trees directly in front of me from throwing RHBH towards the basket, I like to turn by back to the basket and put my left heel behind my lie. Then I can lunge towards the fairway and throw RHBH behind me towards the hole. With a little practice, it works surprisingly well and can give you quite a bit of extra reach towards the fairway. And it's better than throwing LHFH or just pitching out a few feet to get back in the fairway.

I like to carry a chainsaw with me, I find it helps the most. Beyond that, I am working on my thumber technique as I have used it a couple of times when in trouble and got some great results.

Man I like your style!

If I can get away with it I flick or scoobie. If they are not available then I can tomahawk or thumb it.

Patience for me is the key. I am learning it is better to take one then to try and make a nearly impossible shot and have to fight my way out again. But my patience is not good.:(

someone wanna explain this 'grenade' and 'scoobie' business???

otherwise, the best way to get out of trouble is to have the fastest legs :D :D

/remember the old ball golf maxim: "he who has the fastest cart will always have the best lie" :p

Forehand roller number 1 and then a thumber

A grenade is a back hand upside down shot. They are generally thrown near vertically, and used to go up and over an obstacle. They land w/backspin - so they have a tendency to stop right where they land.

Scooby is a term that has been appropriated by upside down thumber throwers - changing what many understood the term to mean from many years ago. Originally - a scooby/scoobie was a type of roller. Kind of hard to explain - but basically - take a backhand grip, cock your wrist/do a wrist curl, and put the cup of the disc against your throwing shoulder. As you unfurl your arm - you pop the disc out vertically. The scooby roller is a shot used to get out of trouble - and basically allows you to set the disc down with a lot of spin -right in front of you - and will curl sharply to the right. This is a very awkward throw - that not many people understand or use any more .

Most old-schoolers know what it is - and sort of laugh when newbies start calling their thumber upside down shots scoobies - but whatcha gonna do?

Even a 100' forehand hyzer will be a huge help. I've Also, any of those little rollers you can perform from a tomahawk or thumber grip can work wonders for getting you out of the woods.

these problems are why I carry a flat top Roc. I can get that disc to hold a line out of the tiniest of windows.
I really suck at overhand shots, but sometimes I'll throw a short overhand roller if it's worthwhile. Otherwise me and my Roc are finding some way to fly out of the shule.

I turn towards a lefty tomahawk w. a 175 sidewinder to get out of tall, thick cover. Usually 200' and in... works pretty well, but if I have to "recover" several times a round, it can do a number on my shoulder!

depends upon where I'm at as far as "trouble" But some of the shots that do it for me......forehand anhyzer shot <if you are on the edge of the woods, or can stretch out enough>.....forehand roller, for where you have little to no ceiling, or a thumber shot, where you have some ceiling, or a gap that you can throw through. I was lucky enough to play once with a pro woman <ranked in the top 10 nationally>, and she gave me and my friend one great piece of advice when getting into "trouble" and getting your way back out. 1st, have several different shots in your bag <forehand, backhand, thumber, and roller>, and KNOW what disc you need to use, and what it will do for you. 2nd when you are in a spot and are not sure what to do, find the biggest gap, then use what shot what get you through that gap to get you out. It may not always be the one to get you the most distance, but at that point, getting out is priority #1. Once you are out and "safe", go back to your game. 3rd, once you have the gap spotted, be confident. Got into a few situations after she told me that since then, and sure enough, 90% of the time her advice really paid off. Sure, you have a spot, see the gap, use what should work, and it either doesn't, or you just mess up, but I'll use the percentages to my advantage anytime!

I like to grab a putter. arch it up and follow through. I have bad shoulders so can only tomahawk about 150 feet, its even more embarising to watch, trust me.

My number one get out of trouble is thumber with a few different discs. Unfortunately a friend of mine lost my #1 thumber recently and I've yet to replace it (the Illusion)

I use a Teerex or Banshee. Leopard or Whippet works well. I also use DX plastic for my fairway thumbers, DX is by far the best tomahawk plastic in my opinion.

I also use an extremely fast flick in tight spots where I see a hole. I just grab the Buzzz and just flick it hard. I find backhand shots not good get out of trouble throws because it requires more arm movement than forehands or even tomahawk/thumber. However if i'm on the edge an anhyzer rhbh is fine, but I don't consider that a whole lot of trouble.

if being "in trouble" is off the fairway with no direct shot at the basket - ill take a Whippet or Gator (or Flick/Force if its really far) and either FH or BH out of the woods depending on the side and let the predictable fade carry it a tad closer to the hole.

Well...a forehand flick with my buzzz if I can see a good line out and/or towards the basket. If I'm buried deep in the trees I'll throw a thumber, but usually only as a last resort.

My new favorite is the "Hey look it's Elvis!" shot.

You exclaim loudly to your group that you see Elvis and point away from where you are in trouble. You then run out of the woods and back on the fairway and take a quick shot while everyone is still looking.

Also known as the "Is that chick naked?" shot and the "I can't believe they are doing that out here" shot.

There are many other names.

;)

My new favorite is the "Hey look it's Elvis!" shot.

You exclaim loudly to your group that you see Elvis and point away from where you are in trouble. You then run out of the woods and back on the fairway and take a quick shot while everyone is still looking.

Also known as the "Is that chick naked?" shot and the "I can't believe they are doing that out here" shot.

There are many other names.

;)

Haha...I'll have to try it the next time I'm on the course.

If I have a good chance of getting it out and down the fairway I will throw a thumber or a tomahawk whichever is needed. Also on more than one occasion I have used a grenade. Of course I often find myself doing the good ole' 10 foot putter shot back into the fairway.

Latest posts