• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

WHY is it so addictive??

UFO51

Bogey Member
Forgive me if this is already a thread, I did search for awhile before posting...

More often than not, anybody thats pushed through the initial learning curve gets somewhat addicted to this sport.... but why? Before finding dg forums I thought I might have a problem but its just the norm here!

I can't quite verbalize but I think its something about watching the flight of a disc, its mostly you but definitely the character of the disc at work as well. The tight lines, throwing straight at a hazard but just knowing that particular disc will break left or right at the last moment.

Other than that I think the next biggest thing is just being out in nature with friends, and its free for the most part.

I am addicted because I like the satisfaction of pulling off a great throw, and because I like to push myself to be better (and see improvement). If I ever plateau in this game I think I will lose interest.

I have two friends that love this game simply because they love to watch the disc fly. One of them throws a drive and just stands there on the end of the tee with his hands on his waist watching the disc fly, usually uttering "wow, look at that". The other one is more silent about his joy of watching discs fly, but you still get the hint. Once in a while he'll totally shank a drive and you may say something like "oh man, that is way off" to which he would reply "yeah, I know. I'm okay with that though, it still looked so good flying".

There definitely are many reasons to love this game.

I think part of its addictive nature is that it satisfies our primal instincts. We throw a projectile at a target, and then walk through the fields and woods to find where it fell. This is what a hunter does.

This, as well as the beauty of the flight of a disc, the satisfaction of simply being out for a walk, the excitement of competition, the bonding with your fellows, the ability to collect discs, and the sensory feedback of the happy sound the chains rewarding a successful throw, all contribute to the sport's addictiveness.

But I think the hunting elements are what get men in particular hooked so desperately.

(Not my original ideas -- I read about the hunting concepts on a related thread in this forum.)

Personally I love seeing new courses in new places. I have the most fun when I'm seeing a new course for the first time. Remember that just the fact that you found this place puts you in the addicted camp, many casuals never get more than one or two discs, never play more than one or two courses, and would never think to get online and talk about disc golf.

3rd the emotion on the primal targeting instinct.

I assumed this was a thread about the Marketplace. Stay away from there and you can spend more time on the course and being productive at work

Hunting eh, thats interesting. Most discs have cool animal names or violent/destructive names to kinda go along with that theory. Reminds of the other day we were thinking of the worst possible disc names - beaver for instance.

Personally I love seeing new courses in new places. I have the most fun when I'm seeing a new course for the first time. Remember that just the fact that you found this place puts you in the addicted camp, many casuals never get more than one or two discs, never play more than one or two courses, and would never think to get online and talk about disc golf.

When I first got hooked, I played every course I could find. Still have yet to meet anybody in the DFW area that has played amigo - I think its a pretty cool little spot. The explorative element of it is cool. Some people I know - no BS, play the same course mulitple times a week and rarely another course at all. they can play at night with no lights and not loose a disc - weirdos.

A simple concept and it is cheap (when you begin.)
The outdoors and nature aspects of it.
Competition with yourself, the course, and against others.
Playing a round with your friends (especially road trips to new courses.)
Round colorful pieces of plastic look cool, not only in flight, but in large quantities on a shelf or a wall.

When I first got hooked, I played every course I could find. Still have yet to meet anybody in the DFW area that has played amigo - I think its a pretty cool little spot. The explorative element of it is cool. Some people I know - no BS, play the same course mulitple times a week and rarely another course at all. they can play at night with no lights and not loose a disc - weirdos.

I hear you. I don't understand the folks that pick one boring 9 hole course and play nothing else, though if that's how they have fun playing disc golf more power to them.

I have often wondered why its so addictive. I like playing other sports but I definitely don't post on forums for them, or play them 6 times a week.

Throwing that perfect shot is great feeling, but I think a lot of it has to do with fun of buying new discs, and investigating and buying certain kinds of discs to perform certain shots. If we had to use just one generic disc like one ball is used in soccer or basketball, then I don't think I would be nearly as addicting.

I definitely wish I had found out about this sport much sooner.

I think that we all have an addictive nature. And maybe more for men than women, but that is debatable. There are many factors within the sport that combine to form a highly potent superdrug. The nature, competition, comradery, mutual interests, desire to be recognized, beauty of flight and courses, and the exploratory drive all work together

All of the above! There are two things I like about it:

A. It's a great way to see different parks around the country when I travel. Seeing the various types of landscapes from Appalachian, Low Country, Mississippi Delta to the Midwest. I like to take it all in!

B. I like how we are our own sub-culture. We are different, but yet people find what we do fascinating! Everyone from Dr's and Lawyers to High School students.

My favorite situation is handling a skeptic. They can be skeptical all they want, but with most of them, when you put a disc in their hand and show them how to throw it. It becomes a game changer!

I like being in the woods. Disc golf gives me something to do when I'm there. Sometimes I think I sub-consciously shank a drive into the woods just to wander over there. :rolleyes: