• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

WHY is it so addictive??

It's actually quite simple. We are satisfying one of our most basic primal instincts. The disc represents the seed. The basket represents the egg. The more eggs we can fertilize the happier we are at the end of the day.

I have often wondered why its so addictive. I like playing other sports but I definitely don't post on forums for them, or play them 6 times a week.

Throwing that perfect shot is great feeling, but I think a lot of it has to do with fun of buying new discs, and investigating and buying certain kinds of discs to perform certain shots. If we had to use just one generic disc like one ball is used in soccer or basketball, then I don't think I would be nearly as addicting.

I definitely wish I had found out about this sport much sooner.

^^^^^
But I wish I would have taken it more seriously sooner.

I'm addicted because it gets me out of the house, and because Disc golf is just generally fun. I mean how many people can say they threw a disc 300 feet and landed in a 3 by 3 foot area.

I totally agree, its the "thrill of the hunt" primative aspect.

Whether your "hunting" for a longer drive, a lower score, or that elusive ACE.
Our addictive minds thrive to be fed with more.

Watching the "weapons" soar towards the targets while surrounded by nature only add to flooding our senses with joy of achieving perfect execution.

Getting regular doses of fresh air can be "addictive". Along with the mild cardio you get from throwing & walking, your body could actually have a biological "cravings" to play.

And it's F¿€KING AWESOME!

I made bird on the first three holes I played today at a tough course and I felt so good it was like a drug. Rimmed the putt on the fourth..

People addicted to golf of any type are addicted to frustration.

Just a bunch of frustration addicts. :\

It's pretty bad for me. I'm 250 miles into backpacking the Colorado Trail, and i'm thinking of taking a disc or two to try off some 14'ers (14,000+ feet peaks) or through some woods/aspen groves just for the hell of it. And you know how backpackers count grams, so this is just adding silly weight to my burden.....

It's pretty bad for me. I'm 250 miles into backpacking the Colorado Trail, and i'm thinking of taking a disc or two to try off some 14'ers (14,000+ feet peaks) or through some woods/aspen groves just for the hell of it. And you know how backpackers count grams, so this is just adding silly weight to my burden.....

sounds like your just gonna have to take less food.....

People seek and love mechanical efficiency.

For example, bicycles and any form of sliding are way easier than we should have any right to expect self-propelled travel to be.

Similarly, the flight characteristics of the disc allow it to go way farther than your hand will tell you it should.

I kinda feel like we should all be sitting around in a circle....DGAA....

had a crappy day, just took 3 matching putters out in a parking lot for some night target practice...all better now...just needed my fix!

I love putters, used to be my least favorite disc though.

I think it's just like ball golf in some ways. In ball golf a great shot will keep you coming back. In disc golf, my one month of playing, a great throw keeps me thinking and wanting to get back out to the course. I hope it continues for more than a year

Funny that my other favorite pastime[whitewater kayaking] also involves lots of plastic, although in much greater quantities and much more expensive.
The emotion of discing resembles kayaking too. A new course, not knowing what future holes are bringing, not knowing on the first hole if your game is on.
I'm in coastal MS temporarily, and the nearest course is 25 miles away. In the woods behind my house I'm building a pole course, am collecting materials for a portable basket, am writing two proposals for disc courses for the two nearest towns, and am planning golf tours to Mobile and upstate MS courses. By bicycle.
I've got it bad.

Last edited:
that ching sound...
I wonder if i could train my dog to salivate at the sound of the chains...