• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter jacket recommendations

Yup. Layers. Granted, I've never played in temps below 20 degrees because Washington, but a long sleeve under a hoodie under a hooded ski jacket liner are good enough for me. If you get cold in layers, stop standing still. Or go play Counter Strike or whatever the kids are playing these days. Halo. Fallout. Tetris.

My setup is usually upper body(1) merino wool or lambs wool. (2) Polartec 200 or 300 weight fleece or primaloft mid-layer. (3) a tightly woven nylon shell treated with NIKWAX by me. I don't wear my Gore-Tex waterproof shell it simply doesn't breathe like advertised I save it for steelhead fishing / low action activities however I have heard E-vent breathes just fine in high activities. Lower body same setup. Socks I used to go 100% wool but have found Lorpen 70% primaloft 20% wool and 10% nylon are the best and harder wearing then Darn-Tuff socks. And if I am playing a course that it hilly were I know I will be sweating alot. I switch out my wool base for polypropylene not as warm but will not absorb hardly any water. Polypropylene goes right from washer directly on me and whatever water is left in them evaporates in no time. If you want to save money on a wool base top thrift shops are great buy a size smaller mid weight sweater for a tight fit. And if anyone knows of a 50/50 wool polypropylene base layer let me know of it please. (Cotton Kills)

Dude clothing makes the best jacket for winter disc golf, hands down. The pockets keep discs dry in the rain and for very casual rounds I can hold my putter in one and driver in the other. (mid in my hand). :clap:

If its super cold out all I need to stay warm is a down sweater like this. Either by itself or under my Dude jacket in the rain or snow. like skiing, once you are moving its easy to get overheated so I find it best to go light on the layers. The down sweater is super light and non cumbersome. :D

This setup has greatly improved my winter performance. :clap:

The DUDE Tech Hoodie is really good if you wanted to spend $70. It is kinda light, but kept me warm during my tournament last weekend which was around 45 degrees

The DUDEs look nice.

I layer and mix it up on the jacket.

Surplus eastern euro camo jacket. Good for rough courses and some wind.
Hoodie. must have a zippered pocket
Lighter weight rain jacket

I wear a scarf a lot too

Merino wool is absolutely the best! However, I've found when it comes to disc golf I like synthetics like the above mentioned down sweater (not fleece) better. Synthetics are "slippery" and let your layers slide better creating less resistance and maximizing your movement when throwing. Its the lube in your layers. My merino wool feels "sticky" and impends my range of motion.

I agree that DUDE items are top freakin' notch. However, when they aren't doing a big sale, $80 for a hoodie or $150 for a jacket is pretty crazy.

dudeclothing.com is having a special right now. If you signup to their mailing list you get 10% off. Free shipping if you buy the rain jacket or spend $99+. I only paid $135 and it was worth every penny because I love my rain jacket. Being able to store a disc in your pocket is a cooler feature than I expected. Like I mentioned previously I play 3 disc rounds and use the jacket as a bag. My only complaint thus far is the lady zipper throws me off. Perhaps its because it was designed on the opposite side of the world.

I'll play down into the 30's no problem with this setup

Under Armor mock neck base layer, tshirt, microweight fleece. I'll might have some sort of wind breaker like a North Face Windwall fleece jacket but that usually comes off by the 3rd hole if I even wear it. I usually just tough it out for a couple holes so I don't have to carry it the rest of the round.

Under armor cold gear running tights with some windbreaker pants over those for the lower extremities. Some Smartwool trekking socks (much thicker than hiking socks.) and standard waterproof hiking boots.

Our Ice Bowl tomorrow should have a high in the low 20's. The morning should be in the single digits. I plan on wearing thermal long-johns, lightly insulated windproof/water-resistant pants, thermal undershirt, long sleeve synthetic shirt, wool socks and my waterproof boots.

Obviously hat and gloves, but my jacket will just be a lightweight windbreaker.

Our Ice Bowl tomorrow should have a high in the low 20's. The morning should be in the single digits. I plan on wearing thermal long-johns, lightly insulated windproof/water-resistant pants, thermal undershirt, long sleeve synthetic shirt, wool socks and my waterproof boots.

Obviously hat and gloves, but my jacket will just be a lightweight windbreaker.

QTF...... A well layered person with a windbreaker beats a jacket hands down.

I use a black diamond induction shell for a jacket. I layer under and over depending on the weather. Windproof, very water resistant. The face fabric will wet out but you'll stay dry inside. Just apply a dwr finish periodically. It's suuuuuuper soft and stretchy, no mobility limitations.you are more mobile wearing this than a hooded sweatshirt. Long arms and awesome fit for me, a taller person. Perfect 3 season shell for low mobility activities since it isn't as breathable as other softshells. Layer some merino and down underneath and you'll be toasty into single digits.

Expensive, though, at least by normal standards. Not good for a group buy, soooo....just buy one for yourself and make everyone else jealous.

Last edited:
I usually wear a wicking base layer, a UA thermal, a long-sleeved tee, and a hoodie. Maybe something thin and water resistant if there's rain. That's usually good down to 10 or 20 degrees.

If anyone is looking for a good jacket with arm mobility I found an awesome 686 snowboarding pullover jacket (designed for boarders who spin in air). It even has zippers under the armpits in case you get too warm. While not the warmest its baggy enough to wear a hoodie or vest under for added warmth in rounds below 20 degrees F. I haven't noticed any difference in my driving ability wearing the jacket vs. a sweatshirt or long sleeve. Putting with frozen fingers is another story but the jacket has a nice center pocket with two slots for both hands to keep a hand warmer in. Its really piqued my interest in winter golf as skiing has become progressively less affordable with the wife having our daughter in 2015.

Patagonia fleece. Best fitting jacket on the market. If that isn't warm enough then I'm better off staying inside.

Latest posts