• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter jacket recommendations

clubcarib

I know it's a hundred degrees today, but I'm on the search for the best hooded sweatshirts/Jackets for our winter disc golf league.

First off, no vests. That's been the consensus from the team.

With that being said, I'm looking for something that is easy to move and throw in, offers some flexibility in the material, and is moderately water resistant. Any and all suggestions are welcome. We've gone with cotton sweatshirts in the past, but heavy wet snow and cold winds rip right through them.

you said no vests... but...

my best winter setup was a down filled vest jacket that was kinda poofy but kept my core very warm. I'd wear a technical (sports style) hoody with thumb holes under that... this allowed me to be super warm but also have freedom of arm movement...

I am definitely the kind that believes in layering clothes with different qualities for winter. I snowboarded and lived at Snowbird (Utah resort) for several years and learned how to dress minimally while still being fully protected from the elements. Disc Golf is different from skiing so the layers will be necessarily different for each activity... but the layering theory still holds.

anyway, good luck with this... and :p to anyone that doesn't like vests!!!

Hands down the best outer layer I have ever worn was the Northface windbreaker that was also waterproof. They run about $100 though... it in itself is not warm however, you can wear a thermal underneath and/or any thicker yet loose hoody and it's the perfect combo.

Get something with PrimaLoft. Its synthetic down that is super warm... not the same as cheap poly filling at all.
Also better than down because it stays warm when wet.
I used a jacket like this to ride to work all winter on my motorcycle in Ohio, and it was far better than a down jacket I had that was more expensive. It also feels like you aren't even wearing a jacket, its so light.
Outdoor Research was my favorite overall and the Patagonia Nano Puff jacket was also great.
You can get one of these right now for around $100.
You can also find PrimaLoft in waterproof jackets, but its going to be less comfortable for throwing, imo.

What Noill said about the vest and keeping his core warm makes sense, but I have more of an issue keeping my arms and hands warm much more so than my core.

I typically wear 3 layers:
1st: one of the newer high tech mock turtlenecks as a base layer. They're thin, light, and very comfortable I when properly sized. Some have a very thin (but surprisingly effective) fleece layer in the inside that really helps to keep you warm.

2nd: a sport fleece... you can typically pick these up on sale at Gander Mountain. Nothing bulky at all, because it has to fit comfortably below layer 3.

3rd: A loose fitting, heavyweight hoodie. I'm fine with cotton or cotton-poly blend because it won't be absorbing much sweat because of the first two layers.

That combo keeps me warm and happy down into the low 20's, and really doesn't restrict my movement much.
The amount of warmth that 2nd layer adds is very noticeable.

If it's particularly damp or windy, I'll add a wind/water resistant soft-shell as a 4th layer, and then I'm fine into single digits.

I don't play many rounds in wind chills below zero because keeping my hands warm becomes a bigger problem, but I'd just wear a heavier 4th layer in that case.

Last edited:
my arms and legs never seem to get cold... just my core.

Ppl do different things for hands... some where gloves and take them off and put them back on for each throw... I use those hot hands bag things and put them in my pockets. I just keep my hands in my pockets holding those hot hands things between throws...

btw, winter discing is my favorite but it does take some forethought to keep warm throughout the round(s)...

This is an expensive example, but my company uses Elevate brand corporate wear. The jackets we have are insulated active wear. They have moisture wicking sporttek type outer shells, then a poly fleece inner lining. Very light weight and quite warm. Any rounds in the 20s-30s here in Michigan that's all I wear with a long-sleeve T under it. Very good insulation, non-restrictive for active movement, and light weight. I never feel like my rotation is being impeded when throwing in these jackets. When it gets colder, I throw a sport sweater under it and I'm good down to about 10 degrees.

440x330-178-TM19554.jpg

Elevate Ortega Insulated SoftShell

Again, Elevate is an expensive brand, but there are plenty of options out there to get similar items (Champion at Target has some good options) and then silk-screening/embroidered logos are usually not terribly expensive if you find local shops that do short runs for local bands and the like...

My winter gear is just layers of long sleeve thermals. I can move much better wearing 4 thermals than with a jacket or even a sweatshirt, and stay just as warm. I've made it through -10 degree rounds without issues.

To just double down on my suggestion of Primaloft, I regularly wore it with nothing but a t-shirt under it while motorcycling in the winter.
So, if you aren't looking to have multiple layers, its the best thing there is.
(FWIW it was developed for the army as a replacement for down.)

I'd recommend a medium/heavy weight polyester fleece layered with a waterproof shell...two separate pieces, but can be gotten for the price of a winter jacket or less. The ability to layer gives you options; it's easy to stash a light shell in the bag as you warm up throughout the round. Polyester fleece handles moisture really well, and it's stretchy so not as restrictive as traditional winter outerwear. With minimal lining in the shell (mesh, or just none) it will slide easily over the fleece surface, which again offers less restriction to movement than a traditional winter jacket.

Last edited:
To just double down on my suggestion of Primaloft, I regularly wore it with nothing but a t-shirt under it while motorcycling in the winter.
So, if you aren't looking to have multiple layers, its the best thing there is.
(FWIW it was developed for the army as a replacement for down.)

I have a 60g pirmaloft jacket and it is sneaky warm. Still one of my favorite jackets after a few years of abuse. I will occasionally substitute this for my fleece layer mentioned above. The benefits are that it's lighter and more packable; the only downside is that it's not as stretchy.

Don't forget wool. I play through the winter here in Pennsylvania, and my standard outfit is a lumberjack-style wool shirt under a fleece pullover.

I personally have always loved just a cotton hoodie over a thermal layer. Somewhere to put my hands in between throws and I can pop the hood up when the snow starts, although I'm also a drifit/poly fan in the summer so I can see the advantage.

Our price range is about $100 per jacket. We also have to be able to embroider or heat press our team logo on it, but I'm pretty sure you can press any kind of material.

I've had down vests that I love, but no hood is no good.

It's good to get an idea of manufacturers that I can start looking at. Thanks for the info.

Get something with PrimaLoft. Its synthetic down that is super warm... not the same as cheap poly filling at all.
Also better than down because it stays warm when wet.

I used to have an Arcteryx winter jacket that had a fill similar to Primaloft. I believe it is their own proprietary material but man was it warm. It felt like I was wearing a comforter

Last edited:

Latest posts