• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter sucks

How sucky is winter?

• Total voters
I would rather play in 5 degree weather than 30 degree weather. Yeah the air's colder, but the snow doesn't melt and get you and your discs wet so I find it's easier to stay warm and dry.

When I lived in Iowa and Minnesota, I thought the grey, gloomy skies and early darkness were the worst part about winter. That and talking to my family in Arizona on the phone. I remember one call to my brother on a particularly cold February day.

Me: Hey Steve, how ya doing? It is currently 15 below zero here in Rochester without the windchill.

Steve: It is getting hot here. I had to turn on my cooler yesterday. It is going to be 85 again today.

Me: F**#%$$ you. The high hasn't been above freezing since before Christmas and the inside of my house hasn't been above 68 degrees since... [starts to sob].

And this is why disc golfers from Minnesota want to go to the Memorial.

I voted "bring it on" because that's typically my position. But... this year with a broken foot, snow can go to hell and melt all over and flood hell.

I live in a very unique area, Northern Arizona. We get several feet of snow every year, but I live about 2 hours from Phoenix.

Shovel off your labia, gents, and get outside.
Don't be checkin' out my labia!
I ain't no yarnie. :p

I throw normal and track that shizz down by the lines in the snow where it lands. :cool:
Bloodhound Juke... I hear he can sniff discs (and Marmots) out from under two feet of snow.

When I lived in the midwest I was perfectly happy to play in snow or ice, it didn't take away from my playing enjoyment at all. I don't particularly miss it though, you won't hear me complaining about playing in 60 degree weather in December.
Mashie's gettin soft...:p

One advantage of winter golf: I can skip drives on water carries I normally have to work around... but there's only one or two of those around here.

Well I'm just a p***y from California, but the rain has finally come now, and it sucks for Disc Golfing... I play through it sometimes because I count on DG for exercise, but there is nothing fun about it.

I tried DG in the Snow in Tahoe once and loved it, but was happy to get back to the warmth of shelter and a hot tub. Could see it not being fun on a daily basis.

One advantage of winter golf: I can skip drives on water carries I normally have to work around... but there's only one or two of those around here.

Hole 10 at Willow. Practice round before a tournament and it was a hockey rink. My strategy was to throw a putter about 100' and let it slide up to the pin.

The pro I was practicing with kept trying 50' putts. They all landed under the basket and slid another 50' away. Like 5 times in a row. It was hilarious :D

Well I'm just a p***y from California, but the rain has finally come now, and it sucks for Disc Golfing... I play through it sometimes because I count on DG for exercise, but there is nothing fun about it.
Cold, snow, and ice I can deal with, but heavy rain just plain sucks, especially when it's hovering around freezing, because... there's just something about cold rainy weather that chills to the bone. Wearing the right clothing only goes so far, but eventually you and your stuff get wet and it just plain sux.

Shorter days suck worse than snowfall. I hate getting off work and the sun has already vanished. That being said, I've only played in snow ( Texas Slush really) once and It sucked massively.

Cold, snow, and ice I can deal with, but heavy rain just plain sucks, especially when it's hovering around freezing, because... there's just something about cold rainy weather that chills to the bone. Wearing the right clothing only goes so far, but eventually you and your stuff get wet and it just plain sux.

Agreed. Doesn't matter if it an inch or 50 inches of snow, I'll be out there. The only thing that stops me is the rain. Rain and mud suck. Everything else is cool. :p

I voted "snow is the devil", but I'll play in it. Snow interferes with other stuff I want to do more.

I've enjoyed winter long before I started playing disc golf.

Disc golf is just another thing I can enjoy now in winter.

I went with "Bring it on", only because I live on the gulf coast and the odds of being snowed out is fairly small. I think I've seen snow once in the last 8 years. :D

I live in Central Wisconsin. Winter Disc Golf isn't so bad. Although I usually enjoy doing other things during the winter. Snowboarding, Snowshoeing, Cross-country skiing, etc.

This winter I've taken some time off as I re-injured my back during the fall. I also started a new job, but tomorrow I'm getting back on the horse. Got a sweet tag match set at my friends private course.

Can't wait. I need the practice for our upcoming Ice Bowl. It's a bring your own partner deal. Don't want to be the weak link.

There isn't much to worry about here in the Atl metro. I have played two rounds in the snow this year though. One in MN and one night round in WI thanks to Martin Dewgartia. IT was my first snow round and at night, but my biggest challenge was playing in my overcoat seemed to make all the discs turn over more easily. Think it made me roll my wrist some.

It's been wet this winter but not terribly. Actually been shooting reasonably well.

Latest posts