• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

wolfhaley goes west finally, sort of

wolfhaley

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
So I'm thinking about a trip out to Billings MT in mid September to play Diamond X. I've basically only ever been east or south of WI. I'd like to play some mountain/prairie golf finally. I'd work my way back through South Dakota and plan on bagging as many top rated ones that I can there, and get a few in WY and ND as well. Thoughts, concerns and ideas welcome. Here's my initial plan.

Day 1: Drive to Bismarck ND, maybe stop to play a nine or 2 in MN or ND. Most likely just get to Bismarck.

Day 2: Drive to Billings MT.
Play General Sibley Park before leaving Bismarck.
Then Patterson Lake DGC in Dickinson ND
Thirdly, play Makoshina State Park in Glendive MT

Day 3/4: Diamond X. If anybody wants to show me around this one It'd be much appreciated. Looks confusing but gorgeous. Might stay between Glendive and Billings in case Makoshika and or Diamond X isn't in the cards for one day or the other. These are must plays.

Day 5: to Rapid City SD via Gillette WY.

Hardin Community Park-Hardin, MT
Dalbey Memorial Park-Gillette WY
Energy Rotary Club DGC-Gillette WY

Day 6/7: Rapid City vicinity

Spearfish Canyon-Spearfish, SD
Black Hills State University-Spearfish, SD
Sturgis DGC-Sturgis, SD
Jackson Park DGC-Rapid City, SD
Pagaent Hill-Custer, SD
Lacroix DGC-Rapid City, SD

Day 8: To Sioux Falls, SD

Powerhouse Alley-Pierre, SD
Steamboat-Pierre, SD
Presho DGC-Presho, SD
Dry Run Creek DGC-Mitchell, SD

Day 9: To somewhere in MN at least, Rochester maybe, not sure.

Tuthill Park-Sioux Falls, SD
Big Sioux Rec. Area-Brandon, SD
Pioneer Park-Brandon, SD
Adrian DGC-Adrian, MN

Day 10: wherever I end up staying in MN to home.

Any tips, insight or whatever you got is welcomed :thmbup:

I could be a stop on your last night if you wanted, I'd be an hour farther than Rochester - I maintain an air-bnb, so I have 2 nice rooms available. Could also throw around here if you want. When are you thinking?

I could be a stop on your last night if you wanted, I'd be an hour farther than Rochester - I maintain an air-bnb, so I have 2 nice rooms available. Could also throw around here if you want. When are you thinking?

This would be midish September. I don't have the days nailed down yet. That would be a great last stop. I'll let you know for sure when I have the days. 👍

This would be midish September. I don't have the days nailed down yet. That would be a great last stop. I'll let you know for sure when I have the days. 👍

I'll be leaving mid September sometime - currently slated for the St. Louis Open Sept, 17. Probably won't be back until beginning of Oct or so. If you're here before that, great, if not, I'll catch you next time, and the house could still be an option for lodging if you need.

I'll be leaving mid September sometime - currently slated for the St. Louis Open Sept, 17. Probably won't be back until beginning of Oct or so. If you're here before that, great, if not, I'll catch you next time, and the house could still be an option for lodging if you need.

It would probably be right after you leave then. I'll have to catch you next time I'm over that way. Appreciate the offer though.

I have a week long fishing trip in September but if this lines up I'd be more than happy to Sherpa you around Diamond X. I could also offer some advice on your course choices coming across ND. Shoot me a pm when you get a chance

Day 3/4: Diamond X. If anybody wants to show me around this one It'd be much appreciated. Looks confusing but gorgeous. Might stay between Glendive and Billings in case Makoshika and or Diamond X isn't in the cards for one day or the other. These are must plays.

Let me know what day(s) you are targeting for Diamond X. I'm happy to guide folks around when I can get away from work and family.

Looks like a real solid trip you've got planned. One humble suggestion: think about Jamestown Reservoir DGC in ND (would fit into your Day 1). It's a beat down of a course...but I assume that's ok, based on what's already on the list! If you play the Reservoir but skip General Sibley in Bismarck, that's a good trade, in my opinion.

Yeah, agree with ThrowBot re: replacing Sibley with another option...Iwen in Fargo, Reservoir in Jamestown, or Sunset in Mandan would be my suggestions, depending on how you want to split your drive and stops. And he's as good of a Diamond X guide as youll find.

Let me know what day(s) you are targeting for Diamond X. I'm happy to guide folks around when I can get away from work and family.

Looks like a real solid trip you've got planned. One humble suggestion: think about Jamestown Reservoir DGC in ND (would fit into your Day 1). It's a beat down of a course...but I assume that's ok, based on what's already on the list! If you play the Reservoir but skip General Sibley in Bismarck, that's a good trade, in my opinion.

Yeah, agree with ThrowBot re: replacing Sibley with another option...Iwen in Fargo, Reservoir in Jamestown, or Sunset in Mandan would be my suggestions, depending on how you want to split your drive and stops. And he's as good of a Diamond X guide as youll find.

I was actually hoping either of you 2 would respond. That's why I threw it out there. It'll be September 13th or 14th.

And as far as the suggestions I actually played Jamestown and everything in Fargo last year. Loved that Jamestown course. I think I did worse at Iwen somehow lol. But both excellent courses. That's why I was starting the bagging in Bismarck.

Wooooo, multistate bagging trip! We took a family vacation/road trip to Yellowstone some years ago that included your Billings - Gillette - Rapid City route (in reverse order). Pretty part of the country, in a wide-open-spaces sort of way.

Day 5: to Rapid City SD via Gillette WY.

Hardin Community Park-Hardin, MT
Dalbey Memorial Park-Gillette WY
Energy Rotary Club DGC-Gillette WY

I will be very interested to hear what you think of those courses and Spearfish Canyon. We have friends near Gillette, WY and I expect to be back out that way again. But this time I'll bring discs. :D

Random factoid: Locals pronounce Pierre, SD as "Peer".

I will also be interested in your thoughts on the Sioux Falls, SD area courses. One of my retirement projects is a bagging trip up I-29 from Omaha, NE to Fargo, ND.

Sounds like a great trip, hope y'all have a blast!

And I would put a great deal of trust in course recommendations from brentjacobs and throwbot. :thmbup:

And as far as the suggestions I actually played Jamestown and everything in Fargo last year. Loved that Jamestown course. I think I did worse at Iwen somehow lol. But both excellent courses. That's why I was starting the bagging in Bismarck.

Ah, nice.
Given that constraint, brentjacobs's suggestion of Sunset in Mandan, ND is a fine idea. But definitely get Patterson!

I've got 9/13-14 tentatively penciled in on my calendar.

I'd recommend going all the way to Idaho, to play Farragut and Caliber!!!

Oh trust me, those are on my wishlist. I'll probably only have 11 days though, so that'll be a different trip. But it crossed my mind.

Ah, nice.
Given that constraint, brentjacobs's suggestion of Sunset in Mandan, ND is a fine idea. But definitely get Patterson!

I'll look into Sunset when I get home. I don't remember seeing that one.

And that would be greatly appreciated if you showed us around Diamond X. It looked like it might be tricky to navigate. 👍

Did no discing out there but Glacier is out of this world.

Really enjoyed Waterton Lakes NP across the border too.

Wooooo, multistate bagging trip! We took a family vacation/road trip to Yellowstone some years ago that included your Billings - Gillette - Rapid City route (in reverse order). Pretty part of the country, in a wide-open-spaces sort of way.

That was part of my initial plan, seeing Yellowstone. I was thinking of driving to Bozeman MT at first. Wanted to get Blue Mountain and possibly sneak a course in in Idaho, you know, like Beaver Dick because I'm very mature :D

I seen that you played that one too. It just made more sense with the time I had to stay a little closer to make sure I have enough time to bag courses and see the sights. The wife can bag courses with the best of them, but we're not getting any younger. Better to pace ourselves a little bit.

Sunset in Mandan

Ok, I actually did look at that one real quick when I was mapping out some road trip routes. Mandan threw me off a bit, but that's right by Bismarck. I'm going to add that to my itinerary right now. :thmbup:

Course bagging aside. Glacier National Park is one of the most spectacular places I have been on this earth.

Did no discing out there but Glacier is out of this world.

Really enjoyed Waterton Lakes NP across the border too.

I checked out some pictures and WOW!!! That place looks amazing. The only problem is we'll be in SE MT only. That's more NW MT. But I do want to go (fly) over to play northern Idaho at some point, and that gives me all the more reason to do so. And the wife agrees which never hurts.

I was actually hoping either of you 2 would respond. That's why I threw it out there. It'll be September 13th or 14th...

Ah, nice.

I'll put the dates down as well. I should be moved back to Billings by then. Taking the following week off so won't be able to swing an all day deal but will shoot to be available to play the X. Happy to hit some other rando pelts if time/itinerary allows.