• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Your best disc "discovery" of 2016.

Wizard. Only used for putting at the moment, but the main putter is starting to get pretty beat up, so it may become a thrower.

Gyro/Overmold

I was given a MVP Tangent by an internet friend and immediately liked the flight characteristics, which seem to compliment my throwing style. I added a few more MVP molds and an Atlas and Nova. Hooked.

I would say it was the Star Mirage. Easy to throw when powered down, it almost has too much glide, and when it is powered up it has a nice right turning flight and fade for me ( rhbh ).

Jokeri - great approach disc. I didn't used to have a forehand approach game, but I do now. Beadless, flat, constant angle rim with rhyno stability. Not sure why this isn't in every bag.

My game actually improved more, however, from rediscovering / re-bagging these molds this year :
Avian PnA
Saint
Champ Viper/MOAB
Star Teebirds

Well I really started playing this year, so everything has been a discovery haha. But what I'm liking the best lately:

1. Orcs - a great stable driver for my 10ish speed arm that will show a little turn but hold up and finish left. Love love love orcs right now.

2. Rocs/Roc3 - I get the hype over the seasoned roc. Money money. Roc3s are awesome too

3. KC Pro aviar - I searched and searched for a driving putter, and recently started throwing my beat in KC aviar off the tee and it's beautifully straight. Bought a fresh one to putt with.

Jokeri - great approach disc. I didn't used to have a forehand approach game, but I do now. Beadless, flat, constant angle rim with rhyno stability. Not sure why this isn't in every bag.

My game actually improved more, however, from rediscovering / re-bagging these molds this year :
Avian PnA
Saint
Champ Viper/MOAB
Star Teebirds

A great OS putter, no doubt!

...way under the radar

No particular order:

Seer: Like a Westside Leopard with a super comfy rim, ungh.

DDx: Randomly found one a little while ago, in C and a color and weight I like for distance. Really reliable distance and as a PD thrower I love the anhyzer top.

Plutonium: Also a new arrival, extremely strong contender for my putting putter (of which I am picky as hell).

Destiny: verdict's still out but possibly the stable King I've been looking for.

Verdict: Really nice stable mid with a comfy rim. If I ever run out of Nebulae, this might be 1st choice up.

Heat: I loved my first one, not crazy about my replacement (Big Z). I might get a heavy Z to see if that replicates the magic of the tourney stamped one I lost.

Macana: Underrated putter. Feels a lot like a Voodoo.

Photon: Maybe a 2015 discovery but it's a great driver.

Wave: Straight as an arrow.

Matrix: My fave of the Circuit this year, versatile mid.

Signal: The incredibly flippy MVP driver I've been waiting for.

Spin: The out of the box flippy putter that feels a little like an Ion/Anode I've been waiting for.

Since I only started this year, all of my discs are, technically, discoveries for me but my most recent is the Mako3. My first throw in a round got me a near ace, hitting the basket from 250 feet. I continued to throw it well all day. It may replace my Comet and my Verdict as most favored mid-ranges. Avenger SS is another disc I recently got that I have fallen in love with. Easy distance.

Trilogy plastic.

River (easy hyzerflipping fun for tunnel shots and line shaping fairway shots)
Saint/Saint Pro (most consistent distance for me)
Bolt (furthest thing I have ever thrown)
Warrant/Truth/Verdict (every mid shot I need in a consistent feel without the work of beating anything in)

Discmania really go to me this year.

FDs: I had one when they were new, but never clicked with it. 2016 has been a different story...
P2s: got one at a Simon Lizotte clinic. Stayed in my bag since. Very versatile putter - can hold straight, can turn, can hyzer.

Scale - Great for controlled upshots. Has helped me work on consistency with BH throws.

Makani & Li'l Wiz - Just for funsies: throw & catch, also the "what the heck is that?" factor.

All the Star Wraiths! - Bagged a star wraith for years, but they've finally taken over all of my distance driver slots.

For me, definitely the MVP Axis. I've been in flux with my straight-OS "go-to" mid for a long time. Mold x is too US, mold y is not consistent, I don't like mold z in the hand, etc etc.

Everything about this mold is perfect. Low profile, very straight with consistent fade, forces me to have clean form, and (with much bias) available in the best plastic out there ;)

Reptilian disc Golf - Serpent / Scale / (element) Iridium, all similar in shape and style, slow putters, great for throwing/approaches. Serpent 2/2/0/1 - Scale or iridium 2/2/0/3

MVP/Axiom discs - I've tried a handful. I'd recommend most of them. MVP Atom is a great throwing putter/putting putter 4/3/0/0 (<-as it wears) Axiom Proxy is VERY similar. Axiom Envy 4/4/0/2 almost like a shorter stable mid type flight, very nice.
Axiom Crave 6/5/-1/1.5 nice straight disc that has a lil s shape, but stable. Wrath, laser driver 10/4/0/2 (can be used in many lines of flight) Defy 12/4/0/2 longer wrath

Discmania - FD, really nice glidey straight fairway. 7/6/-0.5/1 sneaky long. DDX, basically a nice Tern. 12/5/-2.5/2 Bombs, usually more Understable in flight

Prodigy A4...fits nicely between my Atom and Envy. 4/4/0/1.25 really workable , feels nice. Slow high speed subtle turn, reliable fade, not OS, not US

the Justice for me
I was hesitant to try them because I already threw a zone and a firebird and didnt see a need. Got one in a players pack at a tourney and started goofing off with it in casual rounds and found it to be a very useful disc. Sort of a slow firebird for me. Love it for FH shots and approaches, skip shots etc

I would also go with the Westside Harp. One of the best forehand-approach discs. 2 friends of mine also bagged them this year.
Preferably in VIP plastic, as Tournament is a bit to slippery (especially when wet) and BT wears in too fast.

In the past I've gone over a year without any new molds making the bag. This year (to my surprise) I've added three new molds.

XT Nova - I never tried a Nova until 2016. I cycled KC Aviars as my driving putters for years. The Nova made me decide to stop. It's great off the tee & amazing for upshots. I love how it "hits & sticks". Its laser straight when thrown with proper form. It is a great tool for letting me know when my form is off.

Champion Rhyno - A rediscovery for me. A few years ago I had one in my bag. I wanted an overstable driving putter in premium plastic to compliment my Nova. It's great for windy approaches & short drives off the tee. I like that it's low glide. I don't have to worry about it flying past the basket on upshots.

Recon Mortar - I always wanted a premium plastic beadless Gator that was in regular production. I used Champion Gators for many years. I like the Mortar better for sidearm shots. I have issues getting a consistent release sidearm with beaded mids. The Mortar solved that issue. It's a little less beefy than a Gator but not much. I can get a little more distance out of it as well. I'm also getting a Frontline-X Mortar to test out.