• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your method to Charge Glow Discs

seedlings

* Ace Member *
I haven't played a glow round. If you charge glow discs, did you use a UV, or regular white LED flashlight?

If you use glow tape, what kind?

I use glow discs only and use a a black light LED flashlight and it works well. I tried the led lights and packing tape and it works okay but makes the discs less stable due to anti gyro effect.

I did this with LED uv rope light and a 12v drill battery. I would close the lid on my bag when most of the time too.

Sorry about huge images.

YR5YuHZ31qzHDH1wFtL2rRxgOdR-5F_E_jLL-ZZRsnfSZHdcQKFVsPB2TQJu6UWdMN8hf8a-8D6ST3e8-cPYQWAnvkPuLWXngGsjuJVHPiHKtAe-qtU-sv2dvl1KYcka0pS7w41TbkeoEJW2FWmlXexhvcolIwByIJ7JNW92qK05hDsbWrBjJab1ZSYfWh9MPHB5JHEJQhkA0sf7MGVaZP5DqQLmXKpelCItIPskIE0bdqyKFNN1N-8GQ6Ihm15F2BBsIYxm5kQffi-xE0tEk376cIgj2V5MIDKkBpE7EpRc4PMT8C_Uu4g3_7KrTiiUkl-HpGtcgViQnY1gVaWcOX61KKcFI9tG-CGlOJ3FJWZ5-MtuFZW86W5k1n9ERrWaC92IdB36MHQgk2AHACnZ50Hi9dN-pgo3OA7KZpwWrphbyL2GXaEHGor956USjQuJL2c7vYwADXRY7x3JooU3BuM55P0fM6t9K4Wmp49YQD7h22not4G6kYrgOwWlsvN2gZuti2xKioHmlWZEuIdXD2VxU51aMlGfMpdc3OjhlXJdnynHIYzq9cdaZydwmO8-hqO8WjfwrKa3y6ASL_85B9t4exowXWEoqgyUE0KZdsxAx3MvOeIxQBPumMRAuxVryvykUnOPwUEPS2kS1fzvC4CSS2XlaZvBLdw8wkAMK-2DoYwzEPrOrtLAOFFfj_n0Hz7lBExb83qfJqYtOROXo_g=w955-h1695-no

1SCJ5DD_16_xa7BblmRO2kjCWUz1w5qJoWOthm-_anDNTJtVDJ3sNg8I55670aT-rvRaWP5-6tuL0r6HiJOALFtEQzXoV6MutpsWq0z6F3ir8-wWTtK5xjyE1PI_SkUe1_tUbzz-HCZJIf-3p6pN2hcWzZPvG6TdGvtjiajMqI0Ifd0ROd7TaJqHoKdIlA4V_YHwh6tG7ywQ_HFYtj2c5f3VZA36s5AsIodkOHGhQwht18PBztFH1s3avSwEqlJzTOr_vpmkhlI7BnM1yGcOXtghEWbZsjozTwZ0EPUfYiRkzPdNd4BslSbBY7U7N4hCx30szmi6aVg5TCqvrItp5qsJE3weN6wdQA0maP2nt6oZPDT0S7quFphtOE7q0HV_Txp1zn4WkjuuXtthONimrymOAPSZo3Uja-JmsKGQtdXEm-F1zuSF0g35Rxj4oN2L1BYs-7cUB6CxPph6DDyDmHYoMXx6g_C4ZjgQotLPf1LD0_hA43aTn1gniLtesDKG0TXfzD_n5L2gGqTeDCpUct2-FWiJr4jgOzkkNXSpklHT9FXMdNI_PoKbiUHbTbE3ajC26YykgcRH7lDQDB4pA-W31fN_ypoxlkXzwzBGGRevSyrvkR7G0JItF4fc27qSIx8RcyWK5XzQTDX8oVZRWYdh-dUuRURWTtpUMfTk7-yRofJ85Fxbpd_kbxVs98_rVLkKgFRjMUeJ6tE6UFbfPmc=w955-h1695-no

I use glow discs only and use a a black light LED flashlight and it works well. I tried the led lights and packing tape and it works okay but makes the discs less stable due to anti gyro effect.

Yep....same here. I spent a summer collecting glow discs as player pack and tournament winnings. I actually have some different discs in my glow bag. I throw a Monarch, Gator and Colossus in glow. They are not in my regular bag.

Glow discs and UV flashlight.

Prior to using only glow discs I would use champion plastic and tape the LED to the underside of the plate. It seemed to me at least they flew better taped underneath than on top.

Packing tape and LED's work fairly well, but at some point you're bound to have one come flying off for whatever reason. Can be a giant pain finding your disc when that happens. Never used glow tape myself, just wanted to avoid any potential situations even though I haven't played in a PDGA sanctioned event in years.

I think most people tend to roll with a fairly minimal glow bag compared to their regular one. Find a handful of core molds you can get in glow plastic and go from there.

Honestly I throw 90 of my shots with the Felon/Justice/Stego/ Envy

I have a Slab, Nuke SS, Teebird, Reactor and Talon in the glow bag, but only use them sparingly.

UV flashlight for sure. Way better than any standard light for a solid charge.

Also, you'd be surprised how handy the UV light is for spotting even non-glow discs in those dusky hours right as the sun is going down and you're trying to finish your round.

Honestly I throw 90 of my shots with the Felon/Justice/Stego/ Envy

I have a Slab, Nuke SS, Teebird, Reactor and Talon in the glow bag, but only use them sparingly.

Yup the glow bag is a different beast for sure.. Mines Comet, Crave, Envy, glowfly, pilot, nuke and stalker. Oddly enough the Nuke is my best driver since I've beat the crap out of it for 10+ yrs.

UV flashlight for sure. Way better than any standard light for a solid charge.

Also, you'd be surprised how handy the UV light is for spotting even non-glow discs in those dusky hours right as the sun is going down and you're trying to finish your round.

As long as you're running fluorescent discs yah.

I haven't played a glow round. If you charge glow discs, did you use a UV, or regular white LED flashlight?

If you use glow tape, what kind?

For the benefit of everyone playing avoid using white light. It will kill everyone's night vision and could bother other cards playing the course. Buy a UV flashlight to charge discs, glow tape and to navigate course at night only when really needed. Your eyes will adapt quite well to the darkness only use light when needed for safety or looking for lost discs.

Glow duct tape works great and holds a charge very well. Easy to put on and peel off. Both glow discs and tape tend not to hold their charge below freezing so be careful if winter glowing. Thin LED lights taped on to discs work really well in all conditions. Good luck!

Seriously worth repeating for those who those new to glow:
For the benefit of everyone playing avoid using white light. It will kill everyone's night vision and could bother other cards playing the course. Buy a UV flashlight to charge discs, glow tape and to navigate course at night only when really needed. Your eyes will adapt quite well to the darkness only use light when needed for safety or looking for lost discs.

Glow duct tape works great and holds a charge very well. Easy to put on and peel off. Both glow discs and tape tend not to hold their charge below freezing so be careful if winter glowing. Thin LED lights taped on to discs work really well in all conditions. Good luck!

It's all about letting your eyes adjust, and stay adjusted to the dark. Everytime a relatively bright light hits your eye. It jacks up your night visions and takes another while to get readjusted.

Seriously worth repeating for those who those new to glow.

It's all about letting your eyes adjust, and stay adjusted to the dark. Everytime a relatively bright light hits your eye. It jacks up your night visions and takes another while to get readjusted.

Even some of the cheap UV lights have enough visible spectra that they can wreck your night vision. At my old job we had a giant UV light for doing fluorescent penetrant inspections, man that thing was a true black light. Unless it hit something that fluoresced you couldn't tell where it was shining. The lamp portion weighed about 2 lbs and it was powered by a transformer approximately the size and weight of a brick.

My preference for night course nav is a red LED light.

The plus of glow tape right now is it's hard enough to find some mold, plastic, and weight combinations as it is, add getting it in glow and good freaking luck. I lost my color glow Thunderbird a couple weeks ago, no chance of replacing that unless I'm willing to spend some $$$ on eBay maybe

I don't know enough about red LED's to say anything, but I already have a UV light for charging. I don't need or want another light, besides the moon.

UV is fine, as long as people keep them pointed down. The key is to be aware of where you're aiming. Keep the light source aimed toward the ground.

Last edited:
You would be the coolest guy on the course rocking this type of gear for your night rounds.

2ed76e0a48c2875046c7946f46e0f16d.jpg