• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your method to Charge Glow Discs

How does it hold up to tree kicks? The one and only glow round I've played, I saw glow tape fly off discs twice on tree hit.

Use the method I described above. A blow dryer cannot be emphasized enough. That will really seal your tape down. Make sure your discs are cleaned before you tape also.

As far as LED lights go, I don't have any experience using them, but I'd imagine there is a better method to sealing them down than just tape.

I've used packing tape and weather seal tape with the thin LEDs. If you hit a tree real hard, the disc folds into a taco for a millisecond. That's when the tape loosens up and ejects the LED.

A smaller piece of glow tape without the LED is better.

I haven't really bothered to read through all 7 pages of this, but has anybody mentioned the dedicated Glow Box? My play group has a couple of these that we pass around while we play. No blinding lights and it charges fully in a matter of seconds. https://glowbox.online/ If you're serious about playing glow disc, I'd highly suggest one of these, even at the higher price.

How does it hold up to tree kicks? The one and only glow round I've played, I saw glow tape fly off discs twice on tree hit.

My home course is extremely wooded and it works very well but only when the tape and LED are applied well. Name brand clear Duct tape works the best and you want to use a very small amount to a clean, dry, room temp disc. You want to stick your LED on the tape first and get all the bubbles out and then apply to bottom of disc pressing all the bubbles out. You want to use just enough tape to cover the LED and all around the disc. If you use an excess amount of tape, a corner can start to peel back. When a corner starts to peel, the friction of air while spinning through the air, it will start to peel the tape off (you can usually audibly hear it happening before you lose your disc).

I gave up on trying to trying to use glow discs for night rounds and much prefer having a nice thin LED taped neatly underneath. For the last several years, I have had a dedicated bag setup just for glow rounds and its super convenient having it always ready to go.

Using LEDs also lets me use discs that are wonderful flyers but terribly colored. (I.E. my pearly tye dyed FAF Firebird)

I wish I got to play glow rounds more often, but when I do it's the LED/packing tape plan using clear candy plastic Discs. I'm out there just goofing around really, don't care if it affects the aerodynamics or not (it most surely doesn't much, if at all, for the likes of me).

I will say glow Discs have come a long, long way since the Innova Glow Shark I have with the 1989 stamp. Oh, and a glow Cyclone I had in a player's pack. Those things barely lit up at all compared to what I'm seeing nowadays.

But, yeah, the LED thing is fun for me. I love seeing the little dot zooming off and landing next to other dots like I'm in an Atari game. I've only had it fall off once and it was right next to my Disc. Otherwise it's way easier to find Discs in the rough at night than it is during the day.

I haven't really bothered to read through all 7 pages of this, but has anybody mentioned the dedicated Glow Box? My play group has a couple of these that we pass around while we play. No blinding lights and it charges fully in a matter of seconds. https://glowbox.online/ If you're serious about playing glow disc, I'd highly suggest one of these, even at the higher price.
rhatton1 mentioned it a few pages ago:

As for what I use to Glow Discs up, we use these -

You know. When you think you have glow all figured out, disc golf deals you another tricky hand. I got out on Sat. night to play a round of glow. Snowy Michigan evening, where we had an inch or two on the ground and proceeded to get another couple as we played. The sky was very light and the snow reflecting all of it. It just was not very dark out, at all. Don't get me wrong, it was a stunning site, the snow covering all the trees and bushes and us. It was warm enough that the snow was sticking to EVERYTHING...discs, us, bags, boots....

The problem was that glow discs were just not standing out at all. Ultimately, turned out to mean we were throwing white discs in the snow...and they were burrowing on nearly every shot. Now I have a entirely glow bag, no lights. Some are better glowers than others. The only disc that was easily seen were the ancient Photon Glo Discraft. I play a few rounds of glow each year and have had great success with my bag...until Sat. It was a pretty slow round and a bit of searching. Again, fortunately such a stellar evening, the juice was well worth the squeeze, lol.

Lesson to be learned, LED lights worked GREAT. I guess the conditions need to dictate my methods.

Get out and glow. It was one of the most enjoyable rounds I have had in a while. I even shot well...shout out to a glow Comet. :thmbup:

$100 is absurd for one of those. DIY it for under $30 using parts from Amazon and a bag you have sitting around.

A lot depends on preparation, when did they tape it up? Cold discs and tape don't make for a long lasting relationship. Those last minute players who toss some tape on right before playing on a chilly night are asking for trouble. When using tape apply it indoors on warm discs. If you really want it to stick do as Nick mentions.

Use the method I described above. A blow dryer cannot be emphasized enough. That will really seal your tape down. Make sure your discs are cleaned before you tape also.

As far as LED lights go, I don't have any experience using them, but I'd imagine there is a better method to sealing them down than just tape.

Once a year I place my LED lights on the bottom side of my disc and apply two pieces of tape like a plus + sign. Little hair dryer action to heat up the glue a little bit really adheres the tape well. I use dedicated glow discs and bag so I am not applying and removing all the time. Just remove it when LED burns out at years end.