Millington, TN
Bud Hill - Original Share
Uploaded By: alexaaron   (Taken 3/2011)
Entrance to Bud Hill - Sign always says closed

A MUST PLAY IN WEST TN

2-4    10/6/2009   10/6/2009
Review By: sdervan
Pros: This course has it all. You need to be able to throw well and know that every aspect of your game will be tested. uphill, downhill, water, woods, open, left, and right. You have to pull out all the tricks you have in your bag to finish close to even. Great host in Danny and wife are so nice. I love how private the course is. No passing cars. Great people out there as well.
Cons: sometimes the mosquitos can be bad but not when they spray.

Very Nice Course

2-4    8/20/2009   9/6/2009
Review By: zudalu
Pros: Very will maintained. Loved the lay out of the course. Great mixture water, elevation, long, and short, open, and through the trees. The most maintained course I have ever played.
Cons: No signs or distance markers make first time playing rough.
Other Thoughts: I like 2 hours aways, and it was worth the drive to play this course.

Thanks Bud Hill

1    6/18/2009   6/19/2009
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
Wow! Where to start?
- First of all... I emailed for reservations a week in advance and got a prompt reply. I called the day before and recieved nothing but kindness from Danny over the phone. He told the locals I was coming and had several players waiting for my arrival to guide me around the course, including his grandson Trae - the coolest disc golfing kid I ever met... an absoulte gentlemen... and, a good golfer too (he'll be kicking all our asses in a year, if he doesn't kick your ass already). I really felt like they rolled out the red carpet for me - Thanks Bud Hill.
- This course is manucured like no other private, mountainy, championship style course I have ever played. It looks like a ball golf course with woods tossed in.
- Awesome holes! Long, short, left, right, s turns, rollers, tight, open, water, elevation - can't say enough.
- The clubhouse, the parking, the privacy, the Bud Hill community of golfers I met.
- There is a state park nearby with two more courses in it.
Cons:
- The new back 9 is unbecoming of Bud Hill... to put it nicely. The shots are weird, with crazy mandies. It just doesn't fit... However, it is new and I expect that over time they will manacure it more completely and redesign some of the holes so they are of Bud Hill quality.
- Signage was lacking... there may have been maps and scorecards in the clubhouse, but I didn't check.
- That's it... it is hard to find any cons when you play a course as epic as this.
- This course immideately jumped into my top 5 - sans the new back 9.
- If you do play Bud Hill and then go to the Shelby course nearby... eat lunch at the diner on the corner approximately 2 miles after the state park entrance. Get the chicken wrap with jalapenoes... Bomb!
- Thanks Trae and Pete for the round... and Danny for setting it all up. Truly Awesome!
- My Score: -3

1    5/21/2009   5/24/2009
Review By: peabody
Pros: Too many to list. Manicured to perfection. Looks like a golf course with beautiful flowers and shrubery. Bag hangers at most tees. Good long concrete pads. Sometimes three pads on one hole. Course flows nicely and the pin positions were well thought out. ( A disc golfer designed this one, not a parks dept. idiot) Clubhouse and parking and beautiful scenery are what makes this course stand out. The finishing hole is worth the price of admission alone. Did I mention how nice Danny and Company are.
Cons: The water was up and we couldn't play 6 and 7. Couldn 't find the tee for #4. They had temporary baskets placed in spots that could have confused you. Play with someone who knows the course when the water is up.
The worst though was the Mosquitos. Billions of mosquitos that love DEET. I think they drink Cutter for breakfast. We played one round and had to leave.
Other Thoughts: I suppose when the river is down the mosquitos wouldn't be so thick. I bet I sucked down over 100 of them into my lungs! Other than that, this is what a disc golf course should be. Thanks Danny for wonderful eye candy.

Does it get any better?

1    5/2/2009   5/20/2009
Review By: Dillon_Gourley
Pros: Great variance of shot selection. Course has everything from short technical holes to more open long throws. Water comes into play on a couple of holes. Some straight shots, downhill , uphill, it has everything.

Multiple pads and pin placements.

Very well taken care of course owned by some really nice people who love disc golf.
Cons: No signs for the holes.
Some of the baskets have seen better days but can't complain because most of them were donated.

Some of the tees can be very tricky after it has rained especially if they are covered in mud.

Be sure to bring as much bug spray as possible. I have never been bit by more mosqitos in my life.
Other Thoughts: I really hate the first time I saw this course it was pouring down rain so I did not get to enjoy this course in it's full beauty.

If you are ANYWHERE near this course it is a MUST stop.

Contact the owners if you plan to drop by.

A must play!

2-4    5/6/2009   5/19/2009
Review By: tdortch
Pros: This course is my favorite to date. As others have said, it offers everything you want from a course without being intimidating while still being challenging. Uphill/downhill, water, precision shots, etc. It's all there. The owners are very cool and do a wonderful job of course maintenance. I'm not a big fan of risky water shots, and the water on this course is just about perfect for me. There's only one on there that kinda scares me, but in the 3 or 4 rounds I have played, I have not gone in yet - it's a downhill shot to a water-side basket on the left of the pond. Another water hole is kinda the reverse - you start level with the pond and the basket is on the side of a hill on the other side. So, even with my water phobia (i've lost 6 discs in the last month, mostly to water), I still enjoy those holes. The layout is well thought out also and the course flows really well.
Cons: I don't really have any cons for this course. Some of the baskets only have one row of chains, so I guess that's a negative. But, the last time I played there, some of the club members had added inside rows on a few of the one-chainers, so it seems they are taking care of this too. I really didn't want to put any cons on here, because I love this course so much, but I'm trying to be as subjective as possible.

Other Thoughts: The icing on the cake is the community. I have not met anyone yet that wasn't really cool. It's just a unique experience in that you feel right away that you're part of some secret DG club. Please make sure to donate when you come here, because they really do put a lot of work in this course and it's worth every penny. If you don't come here to play at some point, you're really missing out on something special.

Thanks, Danny and Barbara! I'll be back for sure.

Dogwood Classic

1    5/2/2009   5/4/2009
Review By: manglin
Pros: Great course design. It has an excellent variety of open and wooded, short and long, flat and hilly. This course has everything. Lots of trashcans and benches. These are great people to have opened up their private land.
Cons: The hole numbering was a bit confusing, but I think it had to do with the tourney I was playing in at the time. The signs also were not very descriptive of the hole locations and obstacles.
Other Thoughts: This course is on private land, so it may not always be open. I think they are there most of time. When the Daniels are there, they are very inviting. The course is very fun and challenging. It has a bit of "homemade" feel with a variety of baskets and tee pads. It has several epic type holes (one open and two or three wooded holes). Water is play on at least two holes, so beware.

The elite course...for the rest of us!

1    3/24/2009   3/30/2009
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: This course has multiple tees, multiple pin locations and defined fairways to reach them all. The atmosphere is 100% disc golf. Since it is private, there is no need to fear hitting small children or innocent bystanders. There are a variety of holes, requiring shots of all shapes. Good uses of elevation are abundant. This is a course where water is prevelant, but not to an annoying point. Each throw over water is manageable...even by those without huge arms. However, an errant shot is punished, occasionally by water. Hole #18 is a fabulous finishing shot over a small pond and really puts the "icing on the cake" of a splendid round.
Cons: There were some scattered random baskets that looked like they were there for no reason. Baskets are not consistent as most are donated. (I don't care about this, but there are some that might)
Other Thoughts: So far, this is the best course I have played in Tennessee. I only wish I lived closer. There is a donation box, and for the level of course that Danny maintains, it is worth the donation.

This course is not "perfect" and I cannot quite give it a 5 even though I would love to. (I have only given two 5s ever...Idlewild and Winthrop) I enjoy Bud Hill more than either of those courses because it doesn't make the round so difficult that it loses enjoyment. Those other courses challenge the top pros, and that does not include me. But for the beauty of the land, the maintenance and design of the course, the hospitality of the folks, and the enjoyment of the round Bud Hill is my favorite place that I have ever played. Not only would I suggest this course to those in the area, but this is truly a destination course.

Everything I expected and more

2-4    12/14/2008   12/17/2008
Review By: johnogorrell
Pros: This course has every shot you could possibly want. Tunnel shots, long rips, ace runs, wide open fairways and a couple water shots. The locals are extremely friendly. I played this course on a fairly windy (lots of gusting) and there were only a couple holes that the wind actually effected my shots.
This is really just a course that you need to experience.
Cons: Because of a lack of tee signs it can be a little bit difficult to find your way from hole to hole, as well as hard to find the pin from the tees on a couple as well. There are sponsors signs on just about every hole, it really wouldn't be that difficult to put up a tee sign as well.
There was also at least one tee that was built into the side of a hill that now has a substantial drop off at the end, making it difficult to do much more then a stand and throw, and personally I just throw better when I can follow through.
Other Thoughts: My cons are pretty nit picky, but a course is going to have to be something pretty amazing to get a perfect 5, but this is currently my absolute favorite course that I have played. The course is fun, the people are great, and the views aren't that bad either.
This is a private course, and the owner has done a lot to make this course absolutely amazing, but he can't do it all on his own. Make sure to leave your donations in the lock box near the info board and hole 1 tee.
This is for sure a MUST PLAY for any player!

LOVE THIS COURSE

1    12/14/2008   12/15/2008
Review By: darnella
Pros: this is one of my top 5 ever. it has everything a course needs length water elevation and good people who support the sport
Cons: only one complaint but not big one no tee signs but the course flowed so well it was not a bid deal
Other Thoughts: if you are within 300 miles play this course........also it is not a pay to play course but they do a lot of work to keep it going so throw them a buck or 2 when you play..thanks Danny you will definitely see me again