Eddyville, IA
Sandy Dunes Disc Golf Share
Uploaded By: Donovan Hole #5 (Taken 6/2009)

Share URL:

Ace Run course

1    1/1/2017   1/2/2017
Review By: RussMB
Pros: Good beginner course
All skill levels can play here
Concrete tees, Basic Signage
Hole #3 Throws from on top of a hill for a nice down hill run
On a school campus, which allows for the school to introduce Disc Golf to students
Mostly easy to navigate, follow the trail to the right after you hole out on 3
Plays quick
The Ace runs, do have a technical approach to them. You'll have a few pinch points to throw through
Cons: Plays around a baseball field, with a couple shots that could end up going into a ball field
Busy days could prevent or hinder a round
#9 plays with a parking lot to the right and and ballfield to the left. An errant throw could leave a dent or asking a left fielder to toss you your disc.
Ace Runs get redundant after a while
School hours could prevent play
Other Thoughts: I don't want to come across as being to hard on this course. It is pretty vanilla and basic, but it has a little spark to it. Someone took the time to install and lay out this course. I can see some thought was given to the layout of the fairways. I believe this course maximized and utilized the area given. Some of the Ace Runs require you to hit a gap. Not that it's difficult, but a deflected shot can sting a little bit.

If I lived in Eddyville, I'd probably be out here quite a bit. I consider this a small town rec course. It's meant for people in the town of Eddyville to play. It's not a course I would drive out of my way to play, but if I found myself in Eddyville, I'd definitely break my discs out and throw here. Despite being small, a good time could still be had here at Sandy Dunes.

Not-So Sandy Dunes

1    6/23/2009   7/10/2009
Review By: Donovan
Pros: First off, there is some sand on the second hole with a hill to go up that has sand on it. However, I would not let the name fool you into thinking you will be playing in real dunes. There is couple of open holes and some in the woods. There are a couple of fun little birdie shots here. There are cement tee pads and simple tee signs. Navigation was fairly simple and the holes were somewhat inventive.
Cons: This course goes around a fenced in baseball field and near a dumpsite for grass trimming and such. So especially on #9, you have to be careful of losing your drive in the ball field. Not a place to play if there has been a big rain. No bathrooms on the course or trashcans available.
Other Thoughts: The fun factor here was fair. Having a birdie run on almost every hole was a bit repetitive but the shots needed were different. When it is all said and done with the land they had to use, I felt it was a smart layout. It is just a real short 9 holes and unless you live near by, it is probably not worth the trip.