• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

“The Secret Technique” to throw Roc 375’ with 15% power

HUB: Have you tried focusing on the left shoulder more than the arm? Pulling it in a straight line towards the disc at maximum reach back and let it anchor where it creates natural resistance? Just a thought.

oTtAV5N.gif
My unsolicited answer, I never want my left shoulder to reverse away from target. I'm trying to squeeze forward into the front leg to be the fulcrum of the swing.

yuF5rTz.png

ah man...sorry to hear about that. Hopefully everything healed up ok. One thing I've really liked about your form is, you have really good weight shift :thmbup: which is something I still struggle with.
I still have some lingering issues from it, but not too bad.

I have to credit Shawn Clement and Mike Maves with my weightshift, it used to be awful.

There is a surge of knee & back pain problems appearing in the S&T group... wonder why?...Bradley says they are doing the drills wrong or could it be that spinning and twisting your leg and back is not healthly....?

I heard there has to be warning about not putting your cat in the microwave oven in the manual so people wont sue the manufactor. Imo Bradley should add similar sentences in the instructions of this method he is selling.

I heard there has to be warning about not putting your cat in the microwave oven in the manual so people wont sue the manufactor. Imo Bradley should add similar sentences in the instructions of this method he is selling.

That didn't come out right, since in Bradleys instructions it's told to put the cat in the microwave oven, maybe you get the point, I blame the hangover. :doh:

Your form looks so smooth and effortless. Do you release all your shots on a hyzer because of the lower swing? Or how do you throw flat or anny shots with the low swing?

Swedish style baby. It makes it really easy to hit your line but really hard to throw anything other than hyzer.

It's a slightly different type of game, but obviously totally valid. Just ask Feldberg or GG.

I've seen that one, thx. Just wondering if anything had been tweaked or changed in the last 5 years with all the new info available.

TBH, I started learning five years ago from SW videos and still share the same stuff today. Most "new" info is just a rehashing/retelling of what it was before. I know my posts are just different descriptions of stuff others have taught me.

And really, the backhand is mimicked across so mint athletic movements, it's been understood for so long.

Today it wasn't pouring rain and I was able to throw field work. This idea of a stiff, rigid, straight -not curled in- throwing hand has merit. I felt an extra 'wiggle' or 'whip' or whatever, just prior to release. Before, I was curling my wrist in. It's weird because instead of focusing on throwing hard, it's a focus on getting in position. Form. I'm still no big arm, but I was over 385' five times. Had a dozen effortless 360' with TL and Escape. The longer throws were Corvettes and Pharaohs. I really wanted to be over 400, but 396' was my max today. But my shoulder isn't tweaked at all like it had been with strong arm shots.

I know some people curl, but I tell everyone to keep the wrist straight. I always bounce mine a couple times before the throw to get the tension right. It seems to transcend your ability to whip it consciously.

There is a surge of knee & back pain problems appearing in the S&T group... wonder why?...Bradley says they are doing the drills wrong or could it be that spinning and twisting your leg and back is not healthly....?

How many times did I say this on the fb group to be met with droves of his cult defenders?

They're doing the drills right. Spinning and slamming into your front leg just ****s up your lower right back/hip.

I mentioned that I'd share my results (good/bad/indifferent):

It was bad. Both Travis and I were stuck in muscle memory hell. My off-arm winging way too wide and other than one throw that was about 50' longer than the others, I was throwing 50' short of the prior round.

I could feel my muscles creeping into the throw and we had a 15mph tail wind that was sucking the life out of the flight, which had me throwing harder to try to keep the disc floating.

Throwing into the radar gun, it was 59mph with drivers and I could not for the life of me convince my body to relax and let the motion do the work. Pretty consistently felt as though the disc was slipping out of my grip.

Put discs at 300, 350, 400, 450' - and I was rarely breaking 400'. Tail wind certainly didn't help, but the speed on the disc wasn't really there. I think that having a wide open field or a radar gun both lends itself to a "throw it hard" mentality and after an hour, my body was complaining.

Taking at least 3 rest days to reset and then I'll get back to it. Basing that off-arm is my current war. I can pre-swing 3 times
with the arm pinned and then the actual throw has it stay too wide. Shorter stride helps.

I mentioned that I'd share my results (good/bad/indifferent):

It was bad. Both Travis and I were stuck in muscle memory hell. My off-arm winging way too wide and other than one throw that was about 50' longer than the others, I was throwing 50' short of the prior round.

I could feel my muscles creeping into the throw and we had a 15mph tail wind that was sucking the life out of the flight, which had me throwing harder to try to keep the disc floating.

Throwing into the radar gun, it was 59mph with drivers and I could not for the life of me convince my body to relax and let the motion do the work. Pretty consistently felt as though the disc was slipping out of my grip.

Put discs at 300, 350, 400, 450' - and I was rarely breaking 400'. Tail wind certainly didn't help, but the speed on the disc wasn't really there. I think that having a wide open field or a radar gun both lends itself to a "throw it hard" mentality and after an hour, my body was complaining.

Taking at least 3 rest days to reset and then I'll get back to it. Basing that off-arm is my current war. I can pre-swing 3 times with the arm pinned and then the actual throw has it stay too wide. Shorter stride helps.

I know those days, and you're right about the field changing your mentality. I am thoroughly convinced your context dramatically affects your approach to the throw in ways that are totally out of your control. The goldfish grows to the size of the fishbowl you put it in.

The GG/Swedish off-arm really comes together for me when I think about it extending my body vertically upward in the backswing (like GG in the power of posture video–tall and everything extended). The arm goes towards the sky and I get really tall and then it slams/squeezes down on the back half of the body as everything shifts forward into the power pocket... like the off-arm is squeezing all the toothpaste out of the tube forward. The swedish badfish + power of posture videos gave me a good picture.

In my normal "American" style throw, it's more horizontal and pushing/sqeezing forward like McBeth. I feel less like I'm using it to generate significant power/movement and more like it's giving me a wall to leverage off of.

To be honest, my body type probably fits the GG style better, and it certainly feels more free-wheeling and powerful... but I also have the height and length (6'5") to generate a lot of power horizontally without much momentum or vertical movement. Swedish style is certainly more consistent (and I think more powerful) but forces a hyzer-centric, let-the-disc-do-the-work, gameplan. Personally, I don't like giving up my anhyzer angles for two reasons:

1. I'm really ****ing good at them
2. I don't have a sidearm

Hmm, so I have a sidearm, I'm almost 50, little over 6ft tall and overweight. Would the swedish style suit me? I'm 4 months into playing disc golf. Technically 5, but I injured my knee from practicing too much and was out for a month, plus winter so probably more like 3 months of actual play. I've hit the 300' plateau with both arms.

So Bradley "Spin And Throw" likes this guy's form. You? :popcorn:

I do like how he rises on the left foot, but not the rest so much as he "shifts from in front" just like Bradley teaches in his One-Step vid. His hips are open in the x-step instead of slightly closed and then he leads the stride with his front foot instead of hips - Hershyzer Drills.

He seems to make some of the same points I talk about in PoP. Also the whole point of Door Frame drills and Open to Closed drill are to coil the swing back into the rear leg while striding forward.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwy1HNMfhbk#t=6m57s

If you look at the new series by Hyzeruni, he diagnoses that spin out as caused by sitting on the heels and not having the body balanced over the feet. That makes sense to me.

But BW is also seeing the spinout and saying it's because the hips rotate too late. The thing is, a baseball batter does rotate the hips closer to what BW seems to say, and gets completely around, with his back foot off the ground, so his weight must be on the front, but his body is way way behind the front foot. Confusing.

Thanks for the clarification. He has such a nice snap drill, that it"s easy to believe that all of what he's saying is correct. I actually thought that when "Bradley Walker" was mention here, I thought of Texas super pro Bradley Williams for some reason. :confused:

I read the S&T stuff and what they say "others" teach isn't always what they do. For example they think everyone teaches an actual pulling motion across the chest rather and than a fixed upper arm. Well, some do - Stokely does, but he doesn't do it IMO. So probably what others think S&T teaches has some gaps too.

I think maybe there are 7 or 8 schools of thought on rotation.

1. Rotation is caused by a force applied by the trail foot perpendicular to the direction of throw.
2. Rotation is caused by a force applied by the plant foot perpendicular to the direction of throw.
3. Rotation is caused by a force applied by either foot that moves the mass of the body parallel to the direction of throw, and the brace is slightly off center line, so when the mass of body hits the brace it is forced to rotate.

Now multiply these by two: The case where you rotate on purpose, vs the case where you focus on something else and it happens anyway. Stokely is very clear in his clinics: as long as you wait to pull until the plant leg is down, everything else takes care of itself. I asked him about nose up, and he said just don't pull until you land. So now we're up to 6.

7. Rotation is a deliberate twist of the hips unconnected to feet. This I think is the BW S&T idea, but it's also the 3X pitching idea.

I read the S&T stuff and what they say "others" teach isn't always what they do. For example they think everyone teaches an actual pulling motion across the chest rather and than a fixed upper arm. Well, some do - Stokely does, but he doesn't do it IMO. So probably what others think S&T teaches has some gaps too.

I think maybe there are 7 or 8 schools of thought on rotation.

1. Rotation is caused by a force applied by the trail foot perpendicular to the direction of throw.
2. Rotation is caused by a force applied by the plant foot perpendicular to the direction of throw.
3. Rotation is caused by a force applied by either foot that moves the mass of the body parallel to the direction of throw, and the brace is slightly off center line, so when the mass of body hits the brace it is forced to rotate.

Now multiply these by two: The case where you rotate on purpose, vs the case where you focus on something else and it happens anyway. Stokely is very clear in his clinics: as long as you wait to pull until the plant leg is down, everything else takes care of itself. I asked him about nose up, and he said just don't pull until you land. So now we're up to 6.

7. Rotation is a deliberate twist of the hips unconnected to feet. This I think is the BW S&T idea, but it's also the 3X pitching idea.

It's been mentioned in another thread (finish position?) that if you put your body into 4 or 5 correct positions sequenced throughout your throw, you can 'think' or 'feel like' you're doing anything, and still have a nice form.

So left arm cracks the "whip" of the rest of the body?

To clarify, and curious what others have to say, do you move your off arm internally before pushing off your back foot to transfer weight? Or does one do this simultaneously (push off back foot and move off arm internally at the same time)?

To clarify, and curious what others have to say, do you move your off arm internally before pushing off your back foot to transfer weight? Or does one do this simultaneously (push off back foot and move off arm internally at the same time)?

Some of that is disc lagging shoulders lagging hips.

Latest posts