• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] 130 Blizzard Champion Katana?

spinnin' discs

Bogey Member
Anyone have any insight on how 130-139 weight Blizzard Champion Katanas fly? I haven't throw Blizzard Champion plastic yet and I'm looking at trying something extremely light. I usually throw heavier, close to max weight discs for distance.(172g Nuke, 175g O-Lace, 168g Star Boss, RHFH). Recommendations?

Last edited:
My very limited experience has been poor throwing blizzard forhand or into the wind. FH 250 or less was possible with my blizz destroyer, but above that very touchy and unpredictable.

The thing to remember is that you'll be able to bring these discs up to speed a lot easier making them a lot more sensitive than their max weight counterparts so your form will have to be very clean to keep from turning them into rollers.

I threw a 132 for a while. Super understable. When I first got it, tried to throw if flat, kept turning and burning. I kept it for a "water disc" (don't play that many courses with water) but didn't throw it for a long time. Got it out, and hyper flipped it - and the thing flew.

I do not have a huge arm or great form. I can get putters out about 250 - 275, and my fairway drivers 300-325. I play wooded courses. You can see the course below is a 300' hole with a relatively tight fairway. I have hyper flipped this out to 280 or so, landing at the bottom of the hill.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_pics/2821/bb9bc931.jpg

This is throwing from a standstill. Nice easy turn to the right, then fade at the end. My disc is pretty domey. Out in an open field, I can get 350+ if I rip it right (keep it low, etc). Can't go into a head wind.

I have recently been throwing an upper 160s unlace for this shot, as I get a similar flight path, but can do an x-step and crank the disc a little more.

I like that katana though - if I shank my unlace, I sometimes take a second shot with it - just have to dial it back a little.

I can get my Nuke out around 430'. The others I can get out close to 400 as well, but not nearly as consistently as my Nuke. Backhand, I think the farthest I've thrown was 380' with my Boss, but other than that, I can only throw around 320 on average with my backhand.

I already have 2 Bosses, (155? gram beat to death R-Pro and 168 gram Star) so I figured I'd try out a Katana before picking up yet another Boss. If I like the plastic, I'll probably wind up getting one anyway.

I love blizzard Katanas. I have two. A 149 that is more understable and a 158 that is more overstable. I don't have the biggest arm but I get 350 pretty consistently with both of them.

They're not great wind fighters at all. When it's windy I'll break out my Star Wraith and hit around 320.

The blizzard Katana is definitely my distance disc of choice and when you learn how to use them you can get a huge amount of control with them.

there super inconsistent. my buddy found a blizz katana barely used. its his headwind disc. like 140g and beefier than his champ metal flake fb.

he busted one out at a tourny cuz there was a stiff headwind. everyone looked at him like he was stupid, and he was the only one not to flip his

also i have thrown some that are paper plates too. screw blizzard plastic

I'm looking for some overstability. Something I can throw at a hefty anyhzer line in an open field and have it come back instead of crashing and burning off to the left.

Huh? Your getting 430' out of a max weight Nuke. WHY would you want to throw a not only a blizzard disc BUT a super light weight, light weight blizzard? And, a Katana at that?

Something fishy... this makes no sense. There's no reason really

No offense of course.

Huh? Your getting 430' out of a max weight Nuke. WHY would you want to throw a not only a blizzard disc BUT a super light weight, light weight blizzard? And, a Katana at that?

Something fishy... this makes no sense. There's no reason really

No offense of course.

I just want to try something new. I keep buying the same types of discs over and over and I want to switch it up. Up until a month or two ago, I hand't bought a new disc in 4 years. I recently switched out my 177+g X Comet and replaced it with a 166g X-Link Medium Ibex, and started favoring my 150g Star Teebird as opposed to my 170g Z XPress. I've also started working my backhand and have taken a liking to (of all things) a Champion Monarch. So I figured why not try a Katana just to do it?

I agree, if you're throwing 430, not sure what the problem is other than you need to develop your backhand more. I would just work on throwing your putter nice and level at full power bh, when you accomplish that move up to mid ranges, then fairway drivers and finally distance drivers. Once you're throwing max drivers straight and level then you can start developing max distance lines either by hyzer flipping or throwing high flex shots. I'd stick with 160-175g discs.

My friends and I all bought blizzard discs when the first came out and they bombed 50 feet farther than our normal throws..for about a week or until you hit a tree. Then they become floppy pieces of crap. They are also no very accurate at all because they are so light its hard to get your release points right.

If you have your heart set on trying them I will say I had my best results with blizzard plastic that had all the bubbles in the rim(flight plate)

The most stable blizzard katanas are the pink ones thats what stab mcdaniel told me hah i have one of his old ones its pink and 159 and at 400 it shows hardly any turn

I guess I still don't understand. If your throwing 430' your doing what your supposed to be doing in this game of disc golf (in regards to driving). Why regress and change just for the sake of it? Do you have an arm injury, is that the reason for 45 gram lighter discs?

.I know a guy who throws a blizzard Vulcan and throws it thumber and it does a full roll and pans out and rides like a backhand after the initial roll. He can throw it over 500'. Does he ever use it in a round, no...

Is Blizzard Champion really so bad that some of you are trying to talk me out of a disc I'm just buying for the hell of it?

I threw a Blizzard Katana today for the first time, and throwing it RHBH, I had to almost release it at a 45 degree tilt, if not more just to make it fly straight. And it still curve off right and didn't come back before it fell. I was able to get it around 300 (which was pretty good at the time since I was out testing a buddy's disc supply and had already thrown out my arm quite nicely). The guy who owns it was able to get it probably closer to 400 on a throw that never actually faded.

If anyone cares, this is my bag

Drivers:
Champion Sidewinder, 172g (My goto disc)
Gateway Assassin, 175g (Evolution Pro line) (Under 300 foot accuracy drives)
Champion Monarch, 175g (Backhand drives)
Vibram O-Lace, Medium, 175g (holes where I would use a Sidewinder, but need more distance and speed)
R-Pro Boss, 155g (So beaten all it does is roll on the ground)
Star Boss, 168g Well Seasoned (Forehand shots that need a huge hook at the end, occasional long backhand drives)
172g Nuke, Whatever plastic has the Gas Mask on it (Used for distance shots)
Pro Beast, Unknown weight, probably around 168-170 (Hyzer flip backhand shots where fade is needed at the end)
Z Avenger, 173g (rarely used, Sidewinder backup)
Champion Groove, 171g (I don't know why this is still in my bag)
Z Nuke OS, 175g (For when I need a meathook)

Fairway Drivers
2x Star Teebird 150g (Short Holes that require accuracy where my Assassin would be overkill)
Echo Star Teebird, 175g (Strictly Backhand teebird)
DX Leopard, 175g (Doesn't get much use anymore)
Champion Banshee, 175g (Wooded hole disc)

Midrange (all thrown backhand exclusively)
Star Coyote, 180g (straight, short midrange shots)
X Comet, 177+g (general purpose midrange)
Medium Ibex, 166g (newcomer to the bag, used for any shot where I need to plant my disc under the basket within 250 feet. currently making my Coyote and Comet useless)
X Stratus, 172g (Rollers)

Putters
DX Aviar, 170g
Soft Voodoo, 168g

I'd kick out my R-Pro Boss for the Katana if I chose to get it. The Boss is a dog disc at this point.