• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] How much does weight and plastic contribute to U/S + O/S?

SuperWookie

Birdie Member
Just wondering how much weight and plastic types can effect a discs stability?

For example, lets say I had a disc that said it was a 7/5/0/2, and it's a 175g disc. How much flip or U/S will occur with each ~5g of weight dropped? So if I dropped to a 170g disc that had those flight numbers, what would you on avg expect to see those numbers change too, everything else being the same? And then again by dropping to 165g? And even down to 160g? And what in general is the best weight ranges to stay in? Specifically for FWs and Drivers? I like heavier feeling discs, but just recently bought a Neutron 168g Streamline Trace and I can feel that it weighs less, but it's not a huge difference. But the flight path is! Compared to another Trace I have in stiffer Proton plastic at 173g, there is a moderate difference in flight path and distance. The lighter disc obviously goes farther easier, and it almost turns right, and fades less at the end. The heavier stiffer plastic is harder to get distance and definitely has more fade. But it's cool, because they FEEL exactly the same in my hand, and I know how the disc flies in general. So I'm just looking for more detailed info on this topic, in order to build my bag well and get rid of excess discs and molds.

And same question for the plastic? How much U/S will be added to a discs flight #'s if you go from C or Champ like plastic to S or Star like plastic? And then even maybe down one more to G or Goldline?

I have just been realizing that trying to bag a few molds, but in different weights or plastics is much more common amongst good players. As it allows you to really know a disc, and be used to the amazing feel you know and love. So I've ordered a few discs in different plastics finally and even a lighter weight disc. And I've seen some interesting differences in flight even with the same mold disc.

This is my third year playing and even though I still can't throw properly, I'm at least trying to get my bag sorted out to have less discs, but also cover more shots that are different from each other. I'd rather pair it down to like 3-4 molds of FWs and maybe 2 Drivers, instead of having 18-22 discs, where some of them are so close in flight to each other, and basically overlap each other, that it isn't really even worth carrying them all.

I've started this process on my own, very recently, but would love to hear more from people that have played longer and gone through this already. I really just want to add more consistency to my disc line up, not add more molds and discs, if you know what I mean. Have a 3-4 molds total for FWs and just find different weights and plastics to adjust the stability. If that is possible.

So for example, in my FW discs, I'm currently playing a Goldline 175g Lat 64 Maul as my most U/S disc. When thrown well, it turns softly the whole way. It's like if I could throw a long controlled FH.

Then I move on to a 400 175g Prodigy F5 as my slightly U/S FW disc. It turns a tad when thrown well, and stays there, but it's just ever so slightly to the right. Maybe like 5-10' off center line, then always has a very soft fade at the end. Maybe ends up dead straight or just a few feet right of center. Perfect for wood holes and when I want to mash a hyzer flip.

Then I move on to a 750 175g Prodigy F5. It is very stable for an F5 and plays almost like a stable Discmania FD, with a touch less glide, yet more control. It's basically my dead straight disc and can handle a ton of power and FH's very well.

Then I move on to a 175g Discmania Instinct. Dead straight bombs with a dependable fade of about 10-15' right at the last second of it's flight. Perfect for shots I'd throw my F5's, but need and want a touch more stability and want the disc to finish left for sure.

Then on to my FD2 Color Glow Royal Rage, etc etc etc, on down the line.

So I'm just looking for general info on how much weight and plastic could effect the same mold disc if I dropped 5g, 10g or changed plastics? Because as of right now, I've been usually just buying completely new discs all over the place trying to find discs that I like the feel of, trust, and feel in my hand. So I more or less have a good overall impression of a lot of discs now. And I've got my favorites and my not so favorites. So now, I just want to trim my playing bag down to only what is necessary, but make sure I've got most or all shots covered. I want ALL my discs to be relevant, know I can trust them and feel good in my hand.

When I've seen these IN THE BAG videos recently of all the top players, I keep noticing that they only use 2-4 total molds at most for each type of disc. So for example, Simon only has 1 or 2 putter molds. And he just finds ones that are U/S, stable and O/S. Then same thing for mids. He has like 2-3 molds he likes, then just finds discs that are U/S, stable and O/S of that mold. And same for FW's and Drivers. And same for most pros. They don't bag like 4 different putter molds, 4 different mid molds, 7 FW molds and 4 driver molds, haha. They just find lighter or heavier or domier or flatter or U/S or O/S versions of that disc they like. Which when you think about it, makes more sense then always reaching for a new mold and throwing tons of different shaped/feeling discs. It doesn't install confidence and consistency.

But I feel like I haven't explored or know that much about how weight and plastic type can effect a the same mold of a disc. Or even domey vs flat? Or parting line heights? Etc. I mean, I know the basics: that a stiffer harder C like plastic will usually be more O/S, and a heavier or max weight disc will also usually always be more stable. Domier usually glides more than flat tops. And higher parting line heights usually make a disc more O/S. But I don't know how those variables change the discs flight by how much?

The main determining factor for stability is the height of the wing, also known as PLH. There is no universal truth in that lower weight discs flies more understable, although it might be (marginally) easier to get a lighter disc up to speed. There are wicked overstable 150 class discs out there.

If you go from 175 to 169, you'll barely be able to throw it faster. Drop to 154 and you will be able to throw it faster. If you can throw a disc faster, then it will turn a little more out of your hand.

The most crucial data point for stability is

The main determining factor for stability is the height of the wing, also known as PLH. There is no universal truth in that lower weight discs flies more understable, although it might be (marginally) easier to get a lighter disc up to speed. There are wicked overstable 150 class discs out there.

Parting Line Height

If two discs of the same mold have the exact same parting line height, the one that is much lighter, 15 grams or more, will turn a little more. I have a 150g Teebird that is as stable as any other weight. I have two Wraiths at 168g. One will flip up and glide right. The other will stay on hyzer.

TLDR: buy discs in person where possible.

Given the same mold, you can definitely get different stabilities right off the shelf depending on weight and plastics.

While I'm certain as others mentioned the parting line height is a big factor, getting a little more speed out of the lighter discs can make a difference.

I currently have several Trespasses in the bag in various weights and plastics and they cover everything from hyzer flip to turnovers to beefy Destroyer type flights and everything in between.

Sometimes you just have to throw a bunch of different stuff to figure it all out.

If you go from 175 to 169, you'll barely be able to throw it faster. Drop to 154 and you will be able to throw it faster. If you can throw a disc faster, then it will turn a little more out of your hand.

The most crucial data point for stability is

Parting Line Height

If two discs of the same mold have the exact same parting line height, the one that is much lighter, 15 grams or more, will turn a little more. I have a 150g Teebird that is as stable as any other weight. I have two Wraiths at 168g. One will flip up and glide right. The other will stay on hyzer.

TLDR: buy discs in person where possible.

Ugggghhhh, I was afraid of hearing this response. I don't live ANYWHERE near a good disc golf store, and order all my discs online. So I guess I'm SOOL as far as this goes. Guess I'll just have to start buying discs 2-3 at a time and find the one with the higher or lower parting line height, depending on what stability I'm looking for, then return the others.

But just to be clear, I wasn't talking about different weight discs throwing farther or shorter based on weight. I'm strictly talking about stability. I don't know much about this stuff yet, but I have a few discs where I have a light weight one, and a heavier one, and in every case, the lighter one is less stable, and is more prone to turning right, or at the very least, not being as O/S as the heavier one. So that is more what I was asking about. I mean, I could just be an idiot and extrapolate my super small personal sample size and assume that always going with a lighter disc will lower the stability. But that isn't a very good/scientific way to make decisions. So that's why I asked here. To see if most people agree that lighter weight discs usually are more U/S than the exact same disc in a heavier weight. But so far, nobody has answered that question. Just that PLH is the most important part. Which I've recently been reading more about.

Plus, another self inflicted problem I have, is that I only bag teal, green/blue, seafoam, mint, and white discs. So this is another problem for me and being able to find discs just in general, and then also have them fly in different stabilities.

Thanks for the response though. If anyone knows how weight affects the stability, please feel free to chime in.

Given the same mold, you can definitely get different stabilities right off the shelf depending on weight and plastics.

While I'm certain as others mentioned the parting line height is a big factor, getting a little more speed out of the lighter discs can make a difference.

I currently have several Trespasses in the bag in various weights and plastics and they cover everything from hyzer flip to turnovers to beefy Destroyer type flights and everything in between.

Sometimes you just have to throw a bunch of different stuff to figure it all out.

Yeah, as I've explained, I've been throwing a bunch of different stuff for 3 years now. I've bought and sold well over 40 discs and still have a HUGE bucket full of them I don't even use except for field practice, haha. I have 20 discs in my bag, plus another 20-30 in my bucket. Plus all the ones I've sold. So I've gone through a TON of different types of discs. Just not different weights or plastics per say.

I'm just trying to figure out now, of the molds I DO LIKE, will changing the weight 5g, 10g make a difference in stability? If so, how much? And same for plastic. And I know both WILL affect the flight, I'm just not sure in general how much? Like a perfect example would be a FW disc that has 7/5/0/2. And lets say I can throw it exactly as it states in C type plastic, would moving down to a 170g in S plastic make a small, medium or huge difference in the flight path and stability? That's the type of answers I'm looking for here. And obviously it isn't the same for everyone. But I'm just asking: In General?

But your response about the Trespass leads me to believe my theory that lighter weights in less stable plastics WILL make a disc fly less stable. So thanks for that nugget of info.

Plus, another self inflicted problem I have, is that I only bag teal, green/blue, seafoam, mint, and white discs. So this is another problem for me and being able to find discs just in general, and then also have them fly in different stabilities.

Unless your sponsored by those colors a mixed color bag will open up options.
🤷

PLH is king but, lighter discs will turn and fade more. The difference is not great and likely not even noticeable between two 5 gram discs though. 25 grams, you'll likely notice a difference.

I know your struggles, although not to the extent I have 20 discs. Basically I tried to find/use only 4 discs in my bag that fit the most variety of shots, and it was a headache comparing weights, stabilities, plastic types, etc. Here is the video I started on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvpdTf_FjjM&t=4s

It basically told me a lot of what you already know. I recently had a blizzard destroyer @ 157g, a second champion @ 162g, and then found a third champion @ 173g. The 157/162 fly very similarly. Seemingly it is moreso the OAT that determines where the discs flies. However, the 173g version is noticeably more stable. Here would be my thoughts on flight numbers:

157: -1.5 / 3
162: -1.25 / 3
173: -.75 / 3

So to answer your question, I would say 5g adds about 0.25 HSS. But there is no telling if that trend works for star/dx plastic or for slower discs.

Ugggghhhh, I was afraid of hearing this response. I don't live ANYWHERE near a good disc golf store, and order all my discs online. So I guess I'm SOOL as far as this goes. Guess I'll just have to start buying discs 2-3 at a time and find the one with the higher or lower parting line height, depending on what stability I'm looking for, then return the others.

But just to be clear, I wasn't talking about different weight discs throwing farther or shorter based on weight. I'm strictly talking about stability. I don't know much about this stuff yet, but I have a few discs where I have a light weight one, and a heavier one, and in every case, the lighter one is less stable, and is more prone to turning right, or at the very least, not being as O/S as the heavier one. So that is more what I was asking about. I mean, I could just be an idiot and extrapolate my super small personal sample size and assume that always going with a lighter disc will lower the stability. But that isn't a very good/scientific way to make decisions. So that's why I asked here. To see if most people agree that lighter weight discs usually are more U/S than the exact same disc in a heavier weight. But so far, nobody has answered that question. Just that PLH is the most important part. Which I've recently been reading more about.

Thanks for the response though. If anyone knows how weight affects the stability, please feel free to chime in.

You can throw a lighter weight faster, and that speed will make it turn more. 5 grams will not be noticeable. 10g maybe a little noticeable, but 15+ will be noticeable (given same PLH).

You didn't ask, but I'll add that big dome will be more overstable than flat (given same weight and PLH for the same mold). You can find retailers that list dome.

Base plastics shrink more during cooling, so they are less stable. Champion/Z/Proton plastics shrink least so they are more stable. The in-between blends vary somewhere in-between stabilities.

You didn't ask, but I'll add that big dome will be more overstable than flat (given same weight and PLH for the same mold). You can find retailers that list dome.

Generally. Maybe. Sort of.

I have some domey discs where the dome actually pushes the leading edge of the wing down effectively creating a lower parting line than its flatter counterparts.

All of this plastic stuff has so many variables that affect the flight.

Ezra Aderhold did a mph per gram video, it's on youtube. He takeaway was along the lines of 2 mph gained per 10 gram reduced or something similar. Numbers might be off. It's also probably not linear; a 0 gram disc would break the maths.

It held true in a linear-enough sense though.

My gut feeling is that the softer plastics are able to deform more to the wind forces, and this makes their wingform slightly different.

But in reality, we need a throwbot to resolve these weighty discussions.

Lighter discs will fade more?

JFC your disinformation knows no bounds.

Everyone would be wise to ignore this disinformation charlatan.
He's not wrong.

The reasoning is that a lighter disc has less kinetic energy and will slow down faster than a full weight disc, which in turn makes the disc fade harder.

In my mind heavier discs just fly straighter lines, less turn and less fade than lw ones.

PS. This works when the two discs have similar HSS. It can be confusing, because often the lighter disc is much more understable.

Last edited:

Latest posts