• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Ledgestone NT presented by Discraft

Also: Could McCray have made the final 9 any more uncomfortable? Rhetorical.... the answer is- No, no he could not... well, he could of dropped his pants, but other than that....

Not on the course we are talking about (Eureka Temp)

He took a 6 on hole 17, the All American righty hole. A par and he was in the finals.

When you can't play safe for par, it's a bad hole.

I agree with you 100% but it looked like he has a pretty good flick. He showcased it a lot in round 2 at McNaughton.

"Classy"?!?! I dropped in just to say the opposite actually... I think Terry needs to rein it in. His boner for calling out McBeth was getting in the way of the mic... and who "calls it" when there are three more holes to go and only a two stroke lead? Terry does.... repeatedly.

Well, to be honest, Terry "called it" after McBeth went OB and was two strokes down while Simon had thrown IB and had an easy hyzer putter throw for par. Simon was up 4 strokes at that point with two holes left. "Barring a meltdown from Simon, he has won" Pretty accurate statement.

And yes, VERY classy compared to crazy John earlier this year.

I never would have expected Feldberg to be the guy to go all Tin Cup on #6. He makes the final 9 if he just gets a 3.

And Cat ties for the hot round in the Womens Final 9 with a 11 (yes, a 11), a triple bogey and a double bogey on her way to winning the tournament.

I agree with you 100% but it looked like he has a pretty good flick. He showcased it a lot in round 2 at McNaughton.

He does. But a 325-350' placement pure hyzer forehand in dicey wind conditions is something that a very small percentage of players have. Oh, and the other really unfavorable to lefty hole (#11) ate him up too.

For me personally, how often I cash dictates how many tournaments I play each year. I have fun and love to play, but if I am dropping a couple of hundred dollars into entry fees each month and not making any back, that is a prohibitive investment for many people, including myself.

He does. But a 325-350' placement pure hyzer forehand in dicey wind conditions is something that a very small percentage of players have. Oh, and the other really unfavorable to lefty hole (#11) ate him up too.

I agree its not anywhere near easy or maybe fair, I was just saying it looked like he had a decent forehand.

Risk/reward should give you to option of making a safe play and advancing to the hole. The shorty par four at Northwood (5? I think) where you had to land in a small roped landing zone or retee is a hole where they failed to grasp risk/reward. There is no reward on the first shot, just risk. Same thing with with the creek hole on the temp course, there isn't much option on reducing your risk and increasing your reward. You have to hit the window or retee. Same with 17. Any forced carry should give you a bailout option or move you a drop zone after failing the shot. That's the one item USDGC has figured out, give them a bailout option (even if they aren't smart enough to use it).

Risk/reward should give you to option of making a safe play and advancing to the hole. The shorty par four at Northwood (5? I think) where you had to land in a small roped landing zone or retee is a hole where they failed to grasp risk/reward. There is no reward on the first shot, just risk. Same thing with with the creek hole on the temp course, there isn't much option on reducing your risk and increasing your reward. You have to hit the window or retee. Same with 17. Any forced carry should give you a bailout option or move you a drop zone after failing the shot. That's the one item USDGC has figured out, give them a bailout option (even if they aren't smart enough to use it).

That hole 5 ate discs for lunch. It was only like 328 but I don't know how many guys went OB on it. It was a small green and people missed long, right and to the left of it.

I do agree about 17. There could have been a drop zone or make the landing area a little bit wider on the right hand side of the green to make the carry shorter. That said, it was a NT and the carry wasn't that far.

Hole 5 at Northwoods is such a great hole without the dumb OB. Make the creek OB and call it a day. You are still going to get some bigger numbers on the hole but it takes a lot of the luck out of the hole that the TD put in there.

Risk/reward should give you to option of making a safe play and advancing to the hole. The shorty par four at Northwood (5? I think) where you had to land in a small roped landing zone or retee is a hole where they failed to grasp risk/reward. There is no reward on the first shot, just risk.

I keep wondering if this whole risk/reward design for the course was influenced at all by the fact that it was sponsored by an insurance company.

Hole 5 at Northwoods is such a great hole without the dumb OB. Make the creek OB and call it a day. You are still going to get some bigger numbers on the hole but it takes a lot of the luck out of the hole that the TD put in there.
Yup. Heck, I'm fine with the "island" area of the pin and a drop zone if you miss the island.

Ok, so here is my deal. Some are calling this garbage and its in insult to golf etc etc.

Why? Well, because its all luck is what they say. All luck? I watched multiple throwers go for the green multiple times and watched it inflate their scores. Then, they'd risk it all again for it to inflate the score even more. Obviously, some of the holes can be improved but overall, the courses were set up to destroy you if you had a bad throw. Why is that a bad thing? Why do some advocate for a course like Fountain Hills in ALL the national tour events? Does that show who the best golfer is?

Well, to be honest, Terry "called it" after McBeth went OB and was two strokes down while Simon had thrown IB and had an easy hyzer putter throw for par. Simon was up 4 strokes at that point with two holes left. "Barring a meltdown from Simon, he has won" Pretty accurate statement.

And yes, VERY classy compared to crazy John earlier this year.

Granted but when compared to someone who includes the word 'crazy' in his name it's hard not to come out looking like the "classy" one... but to the point: There were some loopy scores on nearly every hole, single hole scores we've haven't seen the likes of, what with all the mando's, OB's, re-tees and what have you's...so yeah, I thought he was "calling it" too soon. You know I never like Howard Cosell or Bill Walton as commentators either....

^^^^Howard Cosell? :eek:

Showing your age! :p

Half the folks on here weren't even born the last time he commentated!

Granted but when compared to someone who includes the word 'crazy' in his name it's hard not to come out looking like the "classy" one... but to the point: There were some loopy scores on nearly every hole, single hole scores we've haven't seen the likes of, what with all the mando's, OB's, re-tees and what have you's...so yeah, I thought he was "calling it" too soon. You know I never like Howard Cosell or Bill Walton as commentators either....

That's true. The only two holes left were ones that Simon made look easy in the round before. His throw on 11 during the 4th round was stupid. Then, in the final 9 all but Doss tried the same route. Hahaha

I agree. I heard a lot of complaining about hole design at Northwoods and Eureka Temp but honestly I think they were all fair holes except hole 5 at Northwoods. That is arguably the best par 4 in the Peoria area as it is because it gives players the option to lay up or go aggressive. It tested accuracy, shot shaping, and scrambling skills. With the 3 island OB areas it basically forced a player to play a specific game instead of getting creative. To make things worse, the first and the last islands (the most important ones) were pretty much all hardpack so discs would skip, slide and roll as soon as they hit. You can argue that with some spin control you can land a disc on hardpack but go ahead and try it for yourself... I've seen many players absolutely pure the first shot only to have their disc barely slide OB. Repeatedly. Even if their disc landed at a good angle with good spin, there were random trees on the island that kicked your disc up and had it roll OB. Way too much luck brought into play on a hole that is just great as-is.

That being said, again, I thought all the other holes were fair. Were they hard? Yes. I know after playing a practice round at Eureka Temp I told my buddy that the course was designed for players on a different level than me. Distance only helped on a couple holes, but you really had to be accurate with your placement and you were punished pretty heavily if you misfired.

I felt bad for JohnE on hole 2 (3rd hole of the final 9?) where he hit one of the spectators. He yanked his drive a bit far right, so it wasn't the perfect shot, but the disc would've gone in bounds. Everyone scrambled to get out of the way of the disc except one guy that for some reason just laid down on the ground...right on the rope...and the disc hit his back. That hole was stroke and distance.