• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Vibram Birdie Bash

Preview Video

We did a little preview video last night, my daughter and I, of the layout plus the junior tees/pars for my upcoming Birdie Bash. Enjoy:

So instead of the coaster minis in the player's pack I got playing cards instead. That's... interesting.

So instead of the coaster minis in the player's pack I got playing cards instead. That's... interesting.

Wonder if they are out of minis or that was specific to the tournament you went to. Hope it is not all tournaments, mine is coming up on April 18th and I was looking forward to getting the mini.

Big thanks to Chase Hayden and the Disc Golf Underground in Houston for putting on a great tournament at 1776 Park over the weekend.

I actually won the event (first time I've ever won a tournament of any kind), so it was a little extra cool for me.

Very fun event, and a lot of great guys. I think there were about 30 guys who participated. We also got to try out the new Notch and Arch prototypes afterward, which both seemed like pretty great discs.

Great day of golf!

:thmbup:

My bash went off without a hitch. Well, there was a minor hitch. As I was getting ready to start the player's meeting one of my guys disappeared. I ran all over the park looking for him (fortunately it's a small park), finally found a number for him and found out he bolted without telling anybody b/c his sister got into a car accident. :eek:

Everyone seemed to have a great time though and my Spirit Award was an easy choice. I had a Masters/grandmasters age gentleman play his first rounds of disc golf EVER that day, got a whole 2 points. :) He was stoked.

Lastly, a minor piece of advice: It might be a good idea to bring some citrus wash in case any players complain about their discs being slick. I noticed that a couple discs felt a bit greasy like they do sometimes.

I signed up for May 30th. Got a 160 Solace for power forehands, and 150 Sole for longer putts on calm days when I feel like running the basket.

Birdie Bash tournament of Champions in Michigan

Am I correct that the winner of each birdie bash gets an invite to the tournament of champions in Michigan? Sounds awesome!

Am I correct that the winner of each birdie bash gets an invite to the tournament of champions in Michigan? Sounds awesome!
Each winner and each TD!

Anyone who already ran their Birdie Bash this year recall when they got their disbursement from Vibram...the $5/per player thing? Mine is this weekend, need the funds for lunch and whatnot. Just curious.

Each winner and each TD!

Anyone who already ran their Birdie Bash this year recall when they got their disbursement from Vibram...the $5/per player thing? Mine is this weekend, need the funds for lunch and whatnot. Just curious.

I believe Steve said that it would be disbursed when the players packs ship, maybe the next day

Yep, the fufillment department for the Birdie Bash is always pretty good. In 2013 I got my disbursment about two weeks before the event, since it had sold out. Sold out this year's Bash as well so hoping for a similar outcome.

Welll all my Birdie Bash stuff gets here today. Two 50 pound boxes of rubber realted goodness. My Birdie Bash isn't for over a week, so it's pretty nice to get the stuff so early. Still waiting on the money but with that much weight being shipped I don't think I'll get back even a fraction of what I was hoping. Oh well, as long as everyone has fun!

A few things:

My discs were both lighter than than they were supposed to be, so that's pretty lame.
I got the exact same shirt as last year's Birdie Bash. That seems pretty damn lazy to just recycle shirts.

We had two people with messed up player's packs, but overall everyone was happy. They did send more bottle openers than socks, which was kind of odd, but it worked out as we were able to use them as bonus prizes. Everyone had a good time and I made a roaring comeback int he 2nd round for the 5th place finish (last prizes for mens) as TD, I gave it to the guy one point below me since 5th place was just a water bottle and a medal. Tons of fun though.

The most important thing was that with our BB and our doubles match the day before we were able to raise 659 bucks for our new courses. We also had one of our teesign sponsors donate an additional 100 dollars. All that is without the Vibram disbursement (which I haven't received yet) but that had to go almost totally to the event insurance which came out of my pocket.

Great event and I'm looking forward to next year's edition!

Our event on Saturday went rather well. There were some player packs where the discs were lighter than the player ordered. It looked like there were a few of last years shirts, but I don't think it mattered since the majority of the players were playing in their first tournament.
The coolest thing for me was not having to drive an hour plus to get to this tourney because it was in my "backyard."

I think my only major issue this year, and frankly, it's a big one, is that I still haven't seen the payout from Vibram. I e-mailed Steve Dodge about it and he said their finance department was in a meeting and I'd see it early this week. I wouldn't be too sore about it except for all the stuff they send out to TDs makes a pretty big deal about using that money to buy lunch for your players. It's not stated that you have to, of course, but it's heavily implied.

Bottom line is that I had to pay 250 bucks just for the insurance for this event several months ago. I'm not in a huge financial bind because of this, but I am dissapointed, especially since I was paid well in advance two years ago when I ran a Birdie Bash and we were able to use that money for snacks, drinks and a ton of extra prizes. Everything this year had to come out of my own pocket. It's fine, I suppose, but the longer I wait the more upset I get, you know?

I think my only major issue this year, and frankly, it's a big one, is that I still haven't seen the payout from Vibram. I e-mailed Steve Dodge about it and he said their finance department was in a meeting and I'd see it early this week. I wouldn't be too sore about it except for all the stuff they send out to TDs makes a pretty big deal about using that money to buy lunch for your players. It's not stated that you have to, of course, but it's heavily implied.

Bottom line is that I had to pay 250 bucks just for the insurance for this event several months ago. I'm not in a huge financial bind because of this, but I am dissapointed, especially since I was paid well in advance two years ago when I ran a Birdie Bash and we were able to use that money for snacks, drinks and a ton of extra prizes. Everything this year had to come out of my own pocket. It's fine, I suppose, but the longer I wait the more upset I get, you know?

My 37 lbs of 20 players packs are in the mail expected for Thursday, my event finally is this Saturday. We'll see when I get that disbursement. This year we're putting the money towards expanding and adding a basket to the course. I've bought it already out of pocket, and we'll be putting it in the ground this weekend. Hope that it comes in a timely manner.

The players packs sure did ship out fast, so that's good! Unfortunately though the 6ish players that registered toward the end could not get an Ibex. An event geared toward newer players and their options are between Solace, OLace, Lace and Unlace. My newer players will be trying to learn to throw mid to low weight Laces, so we'll see. I'll be heavily recommending throwing putters off the tee for the shorter holes.