• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 USDGC

I know the course is tweaked each year. But what is the current record for Winthrop Gold? Sexton and Ricky are completely shredding it today. Too bad we all have to wait until tomorrow to watch this unbelievable round. I really wish it was live.

Considering the changes on a yearly basis, plus the multiple pin placements that change round to round, I'm not sure it's worth identifying a single score as the "record". At least not with any degree of meaning behind it. I mean, Anthon threw a 53 a decade ago, but I wouldn't call it the course record for the purposes of deciding how good the hot rounds today are.

I bet Chuck could enlighten us with the highest rated rounds at the USDGC. That might give us a better scale on which to judge any hot rounds today.

He got a huge cut on his finger yesterday. Super glued it today instead of getting stitches to try and make it through but it busted open again and he decided to DNF and get stitches.

That is a total bummer for him. This is not an event you want to sit out.

Because he DNF'd there's a very good chance my buddies are going to be on the same card tomorrow (they're brothers so this will be fun for them to duke it out at Winthrop). Without his DNF they would be on separate cards. This is assuming ties sorted by best previous score then PDGA#.

And your 2X 3-day champion is....Nate Sexton! Way to go Nate. He's playing better than he did in 2015.

Considering the changes on a yearly basis, plus the multiple pin placements that change round to round, I'm not sure it's worth identifying a single score as the "record". At least not with any degree of meaning behind it. I mean, Anthon threw a 53 a decade ago, but I wouldn't call it the course record for the purposes of deciding how good the hot rounds today are.

I bet Chuck could enlighten us with the highest rated rounds at the USDGC. That might give us a better scale on which to judge any hot rounds today.
McBeth with a 53 in 2014 at 1095 rated better than his 52 in 2013 at 1094. Anthon had the hottest round from 2009 to 2013 with a 53 rated 1088.

Scroll to bottom: https://www.pdga.com/files/best_rounds_may_2017.pdf

Performance Tracks Through three rounds.

attachment.php

Attachments

• USDGC17Tracks123.png
    USDGC17Tracks123.png
    128.5 KB · Views: 262
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many feet of OB rope is on the course? Wouldn't be surprised if there's close to a mile of that stuff.

I can attest that we used more than 24 spools of bottom string, each spool being 800 ft; that 18,200+ ft-- about 3.5 miles.

Round 2 is complete and here are the top 5:

Nathan Sexton
Jeremy Koling
Gregg Barsby
Devan Owens
Richard Wysocki

4 of the best forehanders in the game and 1 lefty - should one assume this course favors the forehand/lefty ?

At the end of Round 3, top six players -

Nathan Sexton
Richard Wysocki
Philo Brathwaite
Jeremy Koling
Gregg Barsby
Max Nichols

All forehanders and lefties, except Philo.

People who are posting that Climo won in 1827 is not really relevant, the rise of the controlled power forehander had not occurred to the level it has today.

At the end of Round 3, top six players -

Nathan Sexton
Richard Wysocki
Philo Brathwaite
Jeremy Koling
Gregg Barsby
Max Nichols

All forehanders and lefties, except Philo.

People who are posting that Climo won in 1827 is not really relevant, the rise of the controlled power forehander had not occurred to the level it has today.

And the course has become more and more side arm and lefty friendly over the years

Does it bug anybody else when discs hit a rope stake and arbitrarily become either a rewarded shot or a punished shot, depending on how the cookie crumbles? I feel like this would bug me less if they make that rope more flush with the ground but I'm guessing that there's some practical reason why it is the way it is.

Does it bug anybody else when discs hit a rope stake and arbitrarily become either a rewarded shot or a punished shot, depending on how the cookie crumbles? I feel like this would bug me less if they make that rope more flush with the ground but I'm guessing that there's some practical reason why it is the way it is.

I've thought about this a bit. Truth is, it could have been a branch. The secret is, don't leave it up to chance, don't hit the stick.

I've thought about this a bit. Truth is, it could have been a branch. The secret is, don't leave it up to chance, don't hit the stick.

That's not even remotely comparable. There are a gazillion stakes brought out there for 3.5 miles of rope, they're everywhere. Sticks/branches are organic, natural elements of the course that are there 24/7; you generally know where they are (at the end of trees) and how to avoid them (throw away from the trees). The rope stakes are intentionally placed near salient landing areas and practically indiscernible from long distances. It just seems to inject unnecessary flukiness into an even that is really concerned with rewarding skill and not luck.

That's not even remotely comparable. There are a gazillion stakes brought out there for 3.5 miles of rope, they're everywhere. Sticks/branches are organic, natural elements of the course that are there 24/7; you generally know where they are (at the end of trees) and how to avoid them (throw away from the trees). The rope stakes are intentionally placed near salient landing areas and practically indiscernible from long distances. It just seems to inject unnecessary flukiness into an even that is really concerned with rewarding skill and not luck.

I understand your point. But there's also a gazillion branches. At DeLa there's a gazillion roots. Often enough they're around baskets.

There was a whole discussion on errorless play. Truth is, theres no such thing. Designers make courses so that they supersede the human ability to complete an errorless shot. That includes risk and some random. One player hits a tree and goes left, another goes right. Every player plays the same course, sticks and all.

For me, a good player overcomes random with calculated play and staying away from risk. It's that simple. I realize that doesnt work for you. Your options, lobby Harold, build a movement to complain, or turn off the Youtube.

So it was called within 2 seconds of the release?

Hard to know... the exchange I witnessed was after the OB flag was raised. I was standing there and heard Philo say, "You stepped on your mini dude." He may have said it quieter earlier, but it seems like it was a late call. Definitely helped Seppo out as he re-threw and made the par. I told Philo it was good karma, but he kept shaking his head like he regretted the call.

The practical reason is that it is there for visual purposes. There is rope on the ground that serves as the actual OB/hazard line. The line on the stakes is there so players can see it from afar.

The practical reason is that it is there for visual purposes. There is rope on the ground that serves as the actual OB/hazard line. The line on the stakes is there so players can see it from afar.

This year several stakes were replaced with red or yellow whiskers as visuals in many areas vulnerable to stake hits (not quite as visible as the top rope). Likely, most of the stakes will be disappearing in the future.

Dang. Barsby, Philo AND Sexton have been deserving of that signature win. Pulling for all three, and for Ricky to take like a 20 on 17.

Latest posts