• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 Master Cup Santa Cruz, CA

Well Streets, your boy Ricky won. Great last round from Paul, and several players above him crumbling to give him 3rd.

What happened to Simon?

And what's going on with James Conrad? He was a force to be reckoned with, and he's come back down to earth.

Wow, i had it ALL wrong. . i thougth Paul would kill it on the DGC and loose a few on the golf cource.

I can't wait to see Pauls round! Safe to say that will be the highlight of the tournament! There's Paul then there's everybody else even when he's not quite on top of his game.

^ McBeth wasn't on the lead card in the final round. So, unless Jomez heard that Paul was having a really good round, and got someone over to his card to get some video, it is unlikely you will be seeing it.

I won my division! nyuk nyuk!

DeLa was spectacular this weekend. There's nothing lucky about that course, unless you throw a bad shot and get a good kick.
My friend told me: You didn't go to DeLa to lay up, but lay up.

I know who Val's caddie was.

Congrats, Major. :thmbup:

That's cool that you were there for the ace. I bet she was pretty stoked.

I won my division! nyuk nyuk!

DeLa was spectacular this weekend. There's nothing lucky about that course, unless you throw a bad shot and get a good kick.
My friend told me: You didn't go to DeLa to lay up, but lay up.

I know who Val's caddie was.

I told you not to give him that beer.

Oh, and congrats two!

As Major pointed out, DeLa is DeLa. If you attack it like it's a golf course it will eat you. It requires strategy. Those who play smart have an advantage. That is one of the many reasons it's one of my favorite courses.

As Major pointed out, DeLa is DeLa. If you attack it like it's a golf course it will eat you. It requires strategy. Those who play smart have an advantage. That is one of the many reasons it's one of my favorite courses.

I feel like Dela is all about surviving. It would be way cooler is masters cup was just three brutally grinding rounds at dela. It just seems silly to switch up the play style so drastically for the last round.

Congrats, Major. :thmbup:

That's cool that you were there for the ace. I bet she was pretty stoked.

I was on the next hole (9). I didn't see it. I didn't even hear the ace or any yelling. It's a short blind anny. She showed me the Westside disc, but I can't remember the name of it. She was pumped, definitely.

Shout-outs to Jomez and CCDG for the excellent coverage. Getting easy to say "excellent as usual", and y'all make it look easy, but we know it's not and y'all work hard to make it happen. :thmbup:

Commentary has been good so far, as well. Kona Paris did well in her debut, and will be a commentary superstar as she gets more experienced with it.

Per the article on PDGA.com, Wysocki was called on a foot fault on the 15th hole. It was on the tee so I'm curious to see the video to see what happened. Kudos to those on his card that called it and kudos to Ricky for taking it in stride and not letting it cost him the tournament.

Figured it was worth mentioning given the non-call controversies earlier in the season and the potential for it to be overshadowed by Val's DQ.

Wysocki launched his shot into the pit, meaning he was already sitting on his third shot. After the drive, though, Brathwaite called Wysocki for a foot fault, and Meintsma seconded it. Wysocki amassed two penalty strokes on one throw, then converted on his 15-footer from the sand trap for a rare two-throw bogey.

Two penalties on one throw?

A throw or an action that is subject to penalty under more than one rule is played under the rule that results in the most penalty throws; or, among rules that call for an equal number of penalty throws, the rule that was first violated.
https://www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/80102

Yeah, that doesn't seem right. I didn't look at the stats or apparently close enough at the article to notice he landed in a hazard on the foot fault throw. He should have only taken one of the two penalty throws. Still ultimately didn't matter as he won by multiple throws either way.

So much for the players finally getting a call 100% correct. I think this just illustrates the one flaw in the stance violation rules...that you keep the result from the illegal stance. Should still be a re-throw + penalty IMO.