• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 PDGA World Championships

I appreciate them pulling double duty and covering the ladies, but I would prefer live streaming every day, even if that meant we go back and forth on what days they cover FPO and MPO

This needs 10 nices, and a million thank you's.

How did I know you'd have the answer? :)

Well... I did already post it last week...;)

Live Video (Rounds 3-5)

FPO Lead: SmashboxxTV

: Terry Miller, Hannah McBeth, Steve Hill

Full live coverage of the Open Women's division? You've got it. SmashboxxTV will have live, two-camera coverage of the FPO lead card starting with their Friday morning tilt at Fox Run Meadows. Stick around for Saturday's coverage down to the cut line, and watch live on Sunday morning as the Open Women's World Champion celebrates her title. Terry Miller welcomes Hannah McBeth into the booth, while PDGA Media's Steve Hill will check in with reports from the sidelines.

MPO Lead: SmashboxxTV

Commentary: Terry Miller, Robert McCall, Steve Hill

After Miller has a chance to catch his breath, he'll be back on the call for the Open lead card Friday through Sunday afternoon. Robert McCall adds both disc golf expertise and excellent hair to the booth team, while Hill will be back on the ground to report on any intriguing developments before a new Open World Champion is anointed
Was kinda surprised there wasn't a big deal made about it at the time.

In my haste, I thought it said that all rounds would be live. I sat down to YouTube today to watch some LIVE disc golf and was very disappointed. Sad Panda.

sad-panda.jpg

Here to answer a few questions.
1. How much does streaming data cost? Well, we usually push out data at 6-8 meg/second. That equates to around 12 gig of data per camera per day. So with a 2 camera coverage for 3 days... We push thru between 60-80 gig of data transfer per event. Most providers throttle you after about 15-20 gig per month. So we need quite a few accounts to cycle thru a month. I won't give out total numbers of our bills, but it isn't cheap.

2. Why are we not streaming today? PDGA asked us to be live the final 3 days, there was never an idea for us to be live for the full 5 days. Not sure why, didn't ask. On one hand I would LOVE to be live all the days, on the other hand I don't have to take off my more days of my 9-5 job.

3. Why not rotate between FPO & MPO. Originally it was going to be the DGPT model of FPO edited before hand. But due to the size of the FPO field, we couldn't guaranty that we would have the time before MPO would start to make that happen. So as of about a week ago we decided to go with both rounds live. It will be nice to highlight the FPO division finally this year too.

Here to answer a few questions.
1. How much does streaming data cost? Well, we usually push out data at 6-8 meg/second. That equates to around 12 gig of data per camera per day. So with a 2 camera coverage for 3 days... We push thru between 60-80 gig of data transfer per event. Most providers throttle you after about 15-20 gig per month. So we need quite a few accounts to cycle thru a month. I won't give out total numbers of our bills, but it isn't cheap.

Kinda what I figured. I asked that because I was trying to talk a friend down off his high horse about why the PDGA isn't going live with their biggest event of the year for all five rounds.

Thanks, Johhny. I want you to know I appreciate you guys over at Smashboxx. I didn't mean to complain, it's just the one day I can watch because of my schedule. If I were Scrooge McDuck rich, I'd throw buckets of money at you guys to compensate you for all the hard work you do. :thmbup:

To be fair, the data costs are a set cost. We are in monthly contracts so if we use the data or not, it is not like we can roll it over these days. I honestly don't know the thoughts behind why they only requested 3 days.

Anyone want to put a little something on an over/under at 400 strokes (currently avg 4.41 strokes per hole, 4.5 times 90 holes = 405) for Mr. 735's final score?

Latest posts