• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] 2018- What is everyone's longest disc these days?

Gstar shryke for turnover or Axiom Tantrum for an Anny shot. Threw the Tantrum 450 or so on an Anny yesterday in a slight tail. Was one of those throws where you stop and watch in shock.

Gstar shryke for turnover or Axiom Tantrum for an Anny shot. Threw the Tantrum 450 or so on an Anny yesterday in a slight tail. Was one of those throws where you stop and watch in shock.

Those are fun.... and I've had a bunch of them with Shrykes. The Shryke bends to the right and flexes forever before finally fading back a little.

I've still yet to find another mold I can throw as consistently far as Shrykes.

Another vote for the Shryke: easy distance disc. I've found the Champ plastic to have the most glide. I throw Shrykes between 160g-170g for max distance. The only downfall is wind. I would not trust this disc unless it's a straight tail wind...

What weights is everyone using for the Shryke?

165-175g. I have several Shrykes in that range. One thing I notice is that even max weight Shrykes aren't very beefy. They'll still turn over and flex out quite a bit. My only concern with lightweight Shrykes is that they get thrown around too much in cross breezes and can get blown offline. In calm conditions they fly absurdly far.

The Shryke is just a pure open-hole bomber disc for me. I won't throw it in any sort of headwind.

156 Fission Volt is my go to DD, followed by a 138 Fission Tesla that I can shape at little better at need.

Alright so I have been messing around with sheriffs and tried ballistas for the first time today. I think that ballistas have the potential to go farther but I think I am liking the sheriffs better. This is a really weird complaint for a disc, especially a max d driver, but the ballista doesn't finish hard enough for me. My local course, all of the long holes have a rhbh hyzer finish so the ballista was just too straight. I have been pairing either of them with a pair of defenders, but I feel like there is a little bit of a gap in between the sheriff and my bio defender. What would you guys say is the most overstable sheriff?

My beat up 5/10 valk thrown on a steeeeep hyzer flew about 300 feet in a tailwind finishing right (lhbh). That's pretty good (I'm a righty forced to play lefty). On that same day with 15 mph tailwind I threw a phenom shot 330. Righty when I was playing I was throwing around 280. Maxing at around 300. I haven't played for a while righty but I learned a lot more about form when starting lefty. I imagine if I could throw righty (which I can in a month or 2) I would be at 350 in a tailwind, 300 in a headwind, and 330 regular. Lefty I have to throw a pretty steep anhyer but I can get a thunderbird 280 in the wind.

Alright so I have been messing around with sheriffs and tried ballistas for the first time today. I think that ballistas have the potential to go farther but I think I am liking the sheriffs better. This is a really weird complaint for a disc, especially a max d driver, but the ballista doesn't finish hard enough for me. My local course, all of the long holes have a rhbh hyzer finish so the ballista was just too straight. I have been pairing either of them with a pair of defenders, but I feel like there is a little bit of a gap in between the sheriff and my bio defender. What would you guys say is the most overstable sheriff?

Lucid, Lucid Sparkle, or Moonshine Lucid (if the Moonshine exists for the Sheriff).

So far I'm more into the Ballista. Its noticeably faster than a Sheriff with all of the glide. The opto Ballista has more late fade (and less high speed turn) than the gold line.

Ballista is a legit bomber. Granted, I haven't really thrown the Sheriff enough to come to a hard conclusion on it.

So far I'm more into the Ballista. Its noticeably faster than a Sheriff with all of the glide. The opto Ballista has more late fade (and less high speed turn) than the gold line.

Ballista is a legit bomber. Granted, I haven't really thrown the Sheriff enough to come to a hard conclusion on it.

I got a metal flake opto and a gold line and the metal flake is about as understablr as my bio sheriff. Maybe I got a fluke.

I got a metal flake opto and a gold line and the metal flake is about as understablr as my bio sheriff. Maybe I got a fluke.

Interesting. I was throwing a 169 opto Ballista the other day and it was fairly stout. It would turn a little on hard rips, but overall it held a line nicely. My 2 gold Ballistas will flip if you really get aggressive.

Discraft Crank, preferably flat and in the upper 160s, thrown RHBH on a bit of a Hyzer. It will flip up to flat, turn gently while penetrating further down the fairway than you think it should and finish with a slight forward fade.

Interesting. I was throwing a 169 opto Ballista the other day and it was fairly stout. It would turn a little on hard rips, but overall it held a line nicely. My 2 gold Ballistas will flip if you really get aggressive.

I ordered a 172 opto today so I will give it one more shot. I want it to fly like how you are describing so I hope it does. :thmbup:

I ordered a 172 opto today so I will give it one more shot. I want it to fly like how you are describing so I hope it does. :thmbup:

I guess you can only hope. Frankly I think Westside, Dynamic, and L64's discs lack consistency. Some will be overstable, but most seem to be noticeably less stable than the numbers assigned to them.

The opto Ballista I've thrown feels pretty true to the numbers so far and I like it.