• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2022/2023 Ledgestone Nebula

The Mickstar

Berg Gang
Does anyone have experience with either the 2022 Big Z or 2023 Z Swirl Ledgeatone Nebula?

I'm looking for an OS (but not super beefy) mid to slot between my Neutron Hex and Star Caiman. I'd prefer something smaller diameter, shallow, beadless, and more of a pushing fade than a dumpy fade.

Others I'm considering are the Mint Bobcat, DGA Quake, and Axiom Pyro, so comparisons to any of those would help. I've thrown a couple of different Prism Pyros and they're on the verge of being more OS than I'd like for this slot, though.

I recently helped a buddy work through similar choices so these thoughts are pretty fresh.

The nebula (cannot speak for ledgestone specifically, though I hear they are similar) fits pretty well between caiman and hex but there was some variety in stabilities batch to batch/color to color. While the rim isn't particularly deep, it feels deeper or taller in the hand than a hex or caiman.

Quake feels closer and flies amazingly but is not quite as small diameter. Unless you bag it along side some typical larger diameter mids it may feel like a bigger disc. Most will start a bit closer to the caiman in stability (a touch less than the pyros for sure though), but they are workable and can carry a ways straight. They break into amazing straight to predictable fade mids.

Bobcats are also great, feel similar to the nebula, a touch bigger around but more available and consistently stable.

I believe most pyros are a little less OS than a prism, but still probably the most stable of the choices (as long as you avoid specifically OS runs of quake)

If feel, FH grip and depth is more important the quake is probably best bet. Bobcat is the compromise. Nebula is closer to what you described.

If you want basically a Nebula that is cheaper/always available look at the Phoenix line Yao. It it's nicely stable, small diameter and can be counted on in most situations.

I bag an OOP, Limited Edition Z Nebula. It is a solid stable midrange. It has medium glide and is difficult to turn over for my 300ft powered arm. I do have a couple Ledgestone Swirly Z's...they are very comparable to the Z that I throw. I don't bag one, for my nausea of supporting Heinold, is too great. I think they are a terrific midrange, with reliable fade.

I bag an OOP, Limited Edition Z Nebula. It is a solid stable midrange. It has medium glide and is difficult to turn over for my 300ft powered arm. I do have a couple Ledgestone Swirly Z's...they are very comparable to the Z that I throw. I don't bag one, for my nausea of supporting Heinold, is too great. I think they are a terrific midrange, with reliable fade.

Acetone?

The Swirly Z's and the Big Z are decently OS for a Nebula but should slot nicely between a Hex and a Caiman. They're running Nebulae every year for Ledgestone now so availability is pretty good.

They fly like 0 or - .5 turn and 2 fade. They definitely fade but mostly forward and a few feet left of the centerline. It's a really good "rip hard and flat or slightly hyzer for gradually left turning holes" kind of disc.

The Swirly Z's and the Big Z are decently OS for a Nebula but should slot nicely between a Hex and a Caiman. They're running Nebulae every year for Ledgestone now so availability is pretty good.

They fly like 0 or - .5 turn and 2 fade. They definitely fade but mostly forward and a few feet left of the centerline. It's a really good "rip hard and flat or slightly hyzer for gradually left turning holes" kind of disc.

It sounds like you've thrown the recent releases.

Can you comment on depth/feel?

What is the bottom of the rim (where a bead would normally be) like? Rounded/smooth or squared-off/sharp?

It sounds like you've thrown the recent releases.

Can you comment on depth/feel?

What is the bottom of the rim (where a bead would normally be) like? Rounded/smooth or squared-off/sharp?

Like a Buzzz basically. I'd say more rounded than sharp. If you've never held a Nebula the rim is like a Buzzz but a little less clunky, smaller.

The Big Z feels better to me than the Swirly Z. Z Nebulae like the swirly and LE ones are a little slicker and the "zipper top" bottoms are more pronounced. (The bottom plate of Nebula have this texture to them like a vinyl record).

Like a Buzzz basically. I'd say more rounded than sharp. If you've never held a Nebula the rim is like a Buzzz but a little less clunky, smaller.

The Big Z feels better to me than the Swirly Z. Z Nebulae like the swirly and LE ones are a little slicker and the "zipper top" bottoms are more pronounced. (The bottom plate of Nebula have this texture to them like a vinyl record).

Huh... I didn't even know the bit about the "zipper top" bottom. And I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm somewhat intrigued...

Any stability/flight difference between the Swirly & Big Z that you've noticed? (Both are still available on OTB.)

Haven't thrown a nebula but can help with the others.

Quake has most glide and is my current favorite backhand mid having replaced my verdict.

Bobcat is smaller diameter and basically a 5 speed zone. I've thrown the tacocat and the double sunglasses most recent sublime run. The taco is a little less stable but these are basically zones. I don't really throw the quake FH but you can with these. Quake and pyro are longer IME.

Pyro is a weird one. It's really a 6 speed and def faster. It is beefy enough that I like throwing FH. My biggest problem with it is that it doesn't adjust to different power as well as the quake. If you hammer it, it is dead straight. If you back off, it can fly much more over stable. I do enjoy the versatility but as I like to bag 7 speeds, I generally skip this one.

I think the bobcat, at least the runs Ive thrown is probably shorter and similar need to your caiman. I think quake is your best bet but I am biased. I carry a quake/buzzz/buzzz ss/zone combo

Huh... I didn't even know the bit about the "zipper top" bottom. And I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm somewhat intrigued...

Any stability/flight difference between the Swirly & Big Z that you've noticed? (Both are still available on OTB.)

Very negligible. I think the Biz Z has a bit more glide because the swirly Z's are a little flatter.

Latest posts