• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rusty Dad's Bag - 2017 Season

Alexplz

Double Eagle Member
Hey there, I figured I'd do a writeup for my current setup, as it's been quite some time and I like to bounce some of my choices off a wall occasionally to see if I'm missing something or making illogical mistakes in my lineup.

I wrote this as though I was speaking in an ITB video, hence the long, rambling paragraphs. :thmbup:

I throw about 300' with my fairways on golf lines, absolute max is only maybe 330', maybe longer with a DX teebird, but it's been a while.

RHBH 29y/o male, looking to round out the choices in my big bag with quad straps which carries up to about 30 discs somewhat comfortably. I like to bag a lot of discs, because I am a sucker for extra equipment in any and all hobbies.

Here we go:

Putt and Approach

-Prime Judge 175g
Very mellow aviar/wizard style disc. It's a little more shallow with a little less cut at the end than the wizards I used to putt with. I just find them straighter and more consistent, and loved putting with them since I tried them out. I pretty much stick with the prime; I would consider busting out a softer blend of classic if it were really cold out, but I just think base plastic is the best for putting.

I'm kind of a spush putter, but at the end of last season I posted a putting form video and watched a couple of Ricky and Dave's putting clinics which gave me a breakthrough in pitch putting. I intend to practice my pitch putt again this year and get back to where I was.

I don't throw my putter, never have with any mold I've putted with. What I do instead is bag a disc of the same mold that I'm comfortable throwing and maybe scuffing up and hitting some trees, without worrying about abruptly changing the flight of my main putter.

The Judge is a great thrower, so not only do I bag a duplicate of my putter to approach with, I actually bag a few to drive and get some varied lines with.

These include:

-Fuzion Judge 175g
-Classic Judge 172g

This really beat up classic judge I found in a used bin has lost some high and low speed stability. I don't plan on losing this one, but if I did I'd probably throw a couple of extra judges in the bag (prime and classic) to start beating in to this level of stability.

Like I said before, the Judge is more mellow than some other similar putters and just wants to go straight with a mellow fade on a smooth throw. Obviously sometimes you need a disc to cut a little harder to accomplish the approach you're looking for, and that's why I bag an:

-ESP Zone 174g
I also really like to forehand this disc, as it's flat and beadless with a ton of stability for shaping those short flicks in the woods. I am considering picking up and bagging a soft X or jawbreaker zone for comfortable short flicks with less fade and more stick.

-DX Mirage 172g
The last putter is this awesome mirage I picked up from Sun King Discs. Some of you may have thrown a protostar mirage and thought those were flippy, and I have one of those too but believe it or not I wanted something even more flippy with that fast putter/slow mid speed and great glide. Just like I bag a utility overstable disc, which is a very common thing to do, why not bag a utility understable "trick-shot" disc? This one is amazing for low effort, smooth hyzer flips to drift right in the woods.

Midrange
Next we have the mids. I have gone back and forth between a lot of different mids in the past, until recently I realized I could have my cake and eat it too by splitting my mid lineup between rocs and comets.

-KC Roc 180g

I have this nice fresh KC roc for the stable/OS slot. I find that a good stable roc makes for very accurate approaches in the open, and I can always count on it to stay stable in the first portion of the flight and fade out no matter how much effort I put into it. I may also bag a JL RocX3 as I do like the faster flight on a truly overstable midrange.

-DX Rancho Roc 177g
Next, a DX rancho which is starting to beat in nicely. Rocs are known for continued usefulness as the stability beats out of them, turning from a stable/OS mid into something with a little more character.

-Z Comet 180g
-X Comet 170ish g

On the understable side of my mid lineup is the Comet. Off the shelf and in premium plastic, the Comet flies incredibly straight. In discraft's X plastic, about 10g shy of max weight, you can expect a little turn out of those smooth throws, or a lot of turn if you put a little stink on it. Eventually my most beat up rancho roc may bump the Z comet out of the bag once it hits that lowered level of stability, but that's assuming that the flight patterns really overlap.

Fairway

For my fairways, something to keep in mind is that I've made the decision for at least the first part of the 2017 season to skip the really fast stuff and work on my form to push my fairways out further.

-Champion Teebird 175g
With that in mind, I bag teebirds among other things. Included in these, I have this stock champion teebird in max weight for overstable backhand shots and some specific forehand shots. I also have a metal flake teebird that I actually don't bag because it just flew a little too overstable without enough glide for my liking.

-Star Teebird 168g
I've also got one of my favorite discs in the bag here, a seasoned star teebird in 168g. This one just flies super consistently, with that long stable to fade flight that people expect out of this legendary mold.

-Star TL 172g
My next teebird is actually not technically a teebird at all, but a TL. Every TL I've ever seen has a popped up dome like this, and this one flies with massive glide, with little fade. It's not flippy per se, but it's not HSS enough to handle a ton of OAT or anything. This one actually goes really far, like my old beat up DX teebirds used to do.

-DX Eagle X 168g
Next I have this really cool DX Eagle. Out of the box there is a little bit of turn with a healthy fade. This is one disc where the flight numbers are absolutely dead on. I wanted to try throwing a DX eagle X because I predicted that as it beat up a bit, it would gain a little glide and turn, and lose a little fade but still retain somewhat of a right-left finish, which seems to be the case.

-DX Leopard 171g
My last fairway is this 171g DX leopard. I've been throwing this one a long time and have hit a number of trees with it, and it keeps going strong - it hasn't gotten unusably flippy or anything. If I were to lose this one I'd probably replace it in my bag with a 168g leopard which I find flip pretty easily off the shelf, and maybe toss in my gstar leopard or a pro leopard to season in to where this one is now.

Utility

I define utility discs as those which I throw on unconventional shots only. The following discs are not thrown as workhorses, and typically aren't even thrown on RHBH air shots.

-FAF Champion Firebird 170g
This is a very good FAF FB - wickedly overstable, perfect for forehand cut rollers, flex shots, thumbers, whatever. Required OS utility in any bag.

-Champion Banshee 148g
I picked this one up specifically for thumbers as I wanted something super lightweight and with a narrower rim than a firebird. I need to practice with it a bit because the extreme light weight has thrown me off and prevents me from getting a lot of power behind the throw. I don't throw thumbers for distance, just get out of trouble and dicey lines/approaches in the woods.

-Star Wraith 168g
-Z Crush 168g

I know I said I have shelved the distance drivers this season, but these are used exclusively for forehand. I don't care too much about working on my forehand form, I just want a serviceable forehand shot that goes far straight and right. The crush is just there as a more stable, flat wraith.

-DX Sidewinder 168g
I found this very well loved, beat up sidewinder on the course with no number. This is here exclusively for, you guessed it, BH rollers.

And that's it. Right now as far as stuff I may change or am looking for feedback on:

I'm looking and wondering if I want to try a shield for push putting over the judge. How does the stability and flight compare?

I'm conspicuously missing a truly OS mid - should I toss in my RX3 or a gator? I know people talk about skipping the OS mid slot for a zone/firebird combo.

I also have a stack of Roc3s that I was trying to bag for a while, but I found that I was less comfortable with the lack of glide in a fresh DX R3. As they beat in, do they straighten out and gain some glide or do the gain turn and maintain the dumpy fade?

Midway through the season, I'm teetering back and forth on some stuff. At this point it's a matter of how I want my workhorses to be structured, and where I want to get rid of overlap vs where a little overlap makes sense for the sake of having just the right shot.

Putt and Approach

-Prime Judge 175g
*snip*

The Judge is a great thrower, so not only do I bag a duplicate of my putter to approach with, I actually bag a few to drive and get some varied lines with.

These include:

-Fuzion Judge 175g
-Classic Judge 172g
This really beat up classic judge I found in a used bin has lost some high and low speed stability. I don't plan on losing this one, but if I did I'd probably throw a couple of extra judges in the bag (prime and classic) to start beating in to this level of stability.

Judge slot hasn't changed much, but I decided to toss in another mold to cover stable-to-overstable putter drives - a Neutron Envy. Those who throw Judges may know that even in premium plastic the mold is just extremely neutral to a fault, so a more stable, beaded driving putter made sense. I have also shelved the fuzion judge in favor of a blend to cover the straight shots and to beat to the level of my beat up classic judge, at which point the fuzion will probably go back in.

Like I said before, the Judge is more mellow than some other similar putters and just wants to go straight with a mellow fade on a smooth throw. Obviously sometimes you need a disc to cut a little harder to accomplish the approach you're looking for, and that's why I bag an:

-ESP Zone 174g
I also really like to forehand this disc, as it's flat and beadless with a ton of stability for shaping those short flicks in the woods. I am considering picking up and bagging a soft X or jawbreaker zone for comfortable short flicks with less fade and more stick.

The zone slot for short range flick approaches is in flux. Presently I have shelved the ESP zone in favor of a jawbreaker zone. Really digging jawbreaker - rubbery but firm and bright pink/red, and sticks when it hits. I feel that premium plastic zones may not be necessary with a Z buzzz OS in the bag.

-DX Mirage 172g
The last putter is this awesome mirage I picked up from Sun King Discs. Some of you may have thrown a protostar mirage and thought those were flippy, and I have one of those too but believe it or not I wanted something even more flippy with that fast putter/slow mid speed and great glide. Just like I bag a utility overstable disc, which is a very common thing to do, why not bag a utility understable "trick-shot" disc? This one is amazing for low effort, smooth hyzer flips to drift right in the woods.

Still bagging a mirage, but this time I switched back to my protostar one. DX does turn easier but the advantages of premium plastic make sense in the woods. Still nice to have a slower mid tweener disc here.

Midrange
Next we have the mids. I have gone back and forth between a lot of different mids in the past, until recently I realized I could have my cake and eat it too by splitting my mid lineup between rocs and comets.

-KC Roc 180g
I have this nice fresh KC roc for the stable/OS slot. I find that a good stable roc makes for very accurate approaches in the open, and I can always count on it to stay stable in the first portion of the flight and fade out no matter how much effort I put into it. I may also bag a JL RocX3 as I do like the faster flight on a truly overstable midrange.

-DX Rancho Roc 177g
Next, a DX rancho which is starting to beat in nicely. Rocs are known for continued usefulness as the stability beats out of them, turning from a stable/OS mid into something with a little more character.

-Z Comet 180g
-X Comet 170ish g
*snip*

I shook up my mids a bit, opting to switch back to the buzzz side of the fence. Previously, my buzzz-based mid lineup looked like:

Comet
Buzzz
Buzzz OS

But I found that there was an obnoxious level of difference in glide and stability between the buzzz and the BOS. So I did some research and was considering throwing in a lighter DX or ESP BOS or a max weight glo buzzz to bridge that gap. Then I took a closer look at some DD mids in a shop, which I had initially ruled out as beaded. As it turns out, the verdict has a microbead which does not interfere with my grip or release backhand or forehand, for power grip or fan grip. And, more importantly, the bead is small enough to be indistinguishable from the non-beaded buzzz family of discs, unlike say a wasp or a roc3.

I also picked up a Fuse in a trade, which I feel fits nicer into the 5-speed unbeaded lineup than a Comet, even though it is a bit more domey as compared to the buzzz family.

New mid lineup:

Z first run buzzz OS 180g
Lucid Verdict 173ish g, with a gentle dome
some kind of buzzz or combination of max weight Z buzzz plus an X buzzz - the max weight Z buzzz comes close to overlapping with the verdict, so I might prefer just a big Z or ESP buzzz here; something in the sweet spot of stability between X and Z
GL Fuse 172g

The nice thing about the buzzz family, including the verdict, is that they are easy to forehand, unlike my rancho rocs and comets. I might switch back to ranchos/comets one day, or incorporate roc3s in some way at some point.

Fairway

For my fairways, something to keep in mind is that I've made the decision for at least the first part of the 2017 season to skip the really fast stuff and work on my form to push my fairways out further.

-Champion Teebird 175g
With that in mind, I bag teebirds among other things. Included in these, I have this stock champion teebird in max weight for overstable backhand shots and some specific forehand shots. I also have a metal flake teebird that I actually don't bag because it just flew a little too overstable without enough glide for my liking.

-Star Teebird 168g
I've also got one of my favorite discs in the bag here, a seasoned star teebird in 168g. This one just flies super consistently, with that long stable to fade flight that people expect out of this legendary mold.

-Star TL 172g
My next teebird is actually not technically a teebird at all, but a TL. Every TL I've ever seen has a popped up dome like this, and this one flies with massive glide, with little fade. It's not flippy per se, but it's not HSS enough to handle a ton of OAT or anything. This one actually goes really far, like my old beat up DX teebirds used to do.

-DX Eagle X 168g
*snip*

-DX Leopard 171g
My last fairway is this 171g DX leopard. I've been throwing this one a long time and have hit a number of trees with it, and it keeps going strong - it hasn't gotten unusably flippy or anything. If I were to lose this one I'd probably replace it in my bag with a 168g leopard which I find flip pretty easily off the shelf, and maybe toss in my gstar leopard or a pro leopard to season in to where this one is now.

I tried a DX teebird for a hot minute in this lineup as the ones I used to have were by far my farthest flying fairways - as it turns out I think a lot of that distance came from the popped top of some of my old DX teebs, which while amping up the glide also made them less predictable - the new DX teebs I picked up had less glide and flew just like my seasoned star teeb. So out with DX, and in with:

MF teebird 173g
Star teebird 168g
Star TL 171g
GStar leopard 171g
DX leopard 171g

I am considering incorporating some kind of eagle here for flip to fade S shots, but I will probably skip them in favor of throwing a speedier disc.

Mid season I decided I wanted to throw some kind of distance driver lineup back in the bag, but I didn't want to go back to my Terns just yet, preferring something slower with a deeper rim, but still with that high glide to squeeze extra distance out with.

Did an advanced search on infinite discs for drivers with at least a 1.2 depth rim and 6 glide. I arrived of course at primarily Swedish plastic:

GL Saint 171g: finishes left for me
Opto/GL underworlds 170g/168g: I throw these like understable distance drivers - I noticed the rim is listed as 1.9mm just like the saint. Admittedly when you compare the width, the saint rim does seem wider, but I still throw these in the same lineup.
X heat 168g - more stable than one would expect, but I intend to beat this in and see if one of these US drivers emerges as the favorite for hyzer flips and rollers etc.

I also picked up a 172g fortress to throw for distance into headwinds - the sharp rim and rim width attracted me to this one to replace my JL thunderbird which I previously bagged in this slot.

Utility

I define utility discs as those which I throw on unconventional shots only. The following discs are not thrown as workhorses, and typically aren't even thrown on RHBH air shots.

-FAF Champion Firebird 170g
This is a very good FAF FB - wickedly overstable, perfect for forehand cut rollers, flex shots, thumbers, whatever. Required OS utility in any bag.

-Champion Banshee 148g
I picked this one up specifically for thumbers as I wanted something super lightweight and with a narrower rim than a firebird. I need to practice with it a bit because the extreme light weight has thrown me off and prevents me from getting a lot of power behind the throw. I don't throw thumbers for distance, just get out of trouble and dicey lines/approaches in the woods.

-Star Wraith 168g
-Z Crush 168g
*snip*

-DX Sidewinder 168g
I found this very well loved, beat up sidewinder on the course with no number. This is here exclusively for, you guessed it, BH rollers.

The firebird is still there for OS things, as is the banshee which I have since figured out for thumbers. Star wraith is still awesome for FH distance, but the Z crush has been shelved in favor for flicking the fortress for general OS forehand duty. DX sidewinder is out in favor of rolling my other US drivers.

At this point the biggest question marks include - is it worth it to bag a premium zone alongside a Z buzzz OS and a jawbreaker zone? Which speed 9ish understable "distance drivers" are here to stay? What am I going to throw for my stable midrange shot, a Z or X buzzz I already have or will I pick up something inbetween?