• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

3 finger grip

How many fingers for your Big Dog(driver)

• Total voters
Did a search ,didnt find a 3 finger thread so here we go (plus a poll)

All you 3 finger guys and girls let me know how you got started .

Not sure when i started because i didnt know i was doing it , im guessing for years .:confused:

I've switched back and forth between three and four. I've finally settled on three and I feel I'm getting a cleaner release.

Pure Distance:
3 fingers-Cleaner release and a little more "D"

4 fingers:
Any shot where you need a premium on accuracy over distance.

i get so much more snap with the 3 , which for me is all about making the wind less of a factor.

would i still use the 3 if i had big hands ? i dont know:\

3 for me but it is due to my pinky being broke several times so I can not even bring it into the disc. I think the three finger is best cuz you get better accuracy with a lil less D. I rather have accuracy then a 500ft arm.

I can't grip the disc with my pinky and first finger at the same time. The first finger is more important, so I throw 3 finger. 2 on some of my approach shots.

Does anyone else change stances when using the 3 instead of the 4?

i can only use the x-step with 4 finger

with the 3 i throw reverse x-step or one step throw

I use 3 because my fingers are short and stubby. It's hard to get a good grip on a 13 speed driver with all four fingers when you have short/stubby fingers.

I use all 4 fingers for every throw. My fairway drive and big D (450+) drive is the same as far as grip is concerned...thumb on top, 4 fingers wrapped around held tightly together. My fan grip uses all 4 as well...not sure if a 3 finger fan grip would be very good. Putting is basically a fan grip as well.

I've messed around with different grips and this is what works for me.

I was actually using a fan grip for a very long time, and didn't know it. Switched to a 3 finger last week and I'm already noticing more turn and distance with my drivers. Could also be due to using later acceleration on my pullthrough (pulling from the right pec instead of the reachback).

2 fingers here

I recently moved from a 4, to a 3, then to a 2 finger drive. I get a much more consistent release, and a ton more snap then my 4 finger drive. My fingers snap every time with a 2 finger grip. I cant wait to have a full summers experience of 2 finger drives.

I use a 3 finger grip on mid range drives off the box, once I switched from a 4 to a 3, I noticed a lot more distance with the same effort and higher accuracy.

3 fingers will put less spin on the disc, creating more turn and more fade.

4 fingers will put more spin on the disc, creating a straighter line with a slightly more subtle fade at the end.

Soooo...3 = Eagle and 4 = Teebird (for analogical purposes, not saying you should use those discs for that amount of fingers)

I switched from a 3 to 4 finger power grip this year. Finding way better accuracy and release. I also started power gripping my mids. That has made a world of difference for me. I talked to Will Schusterick about his grip on Rocs , he throws a power grip and I thought why not give it a try and I am glad I did. Now I am not saying I get his distance but i am getting way better snap and releases when using a 4 finger power grip to throw my mid ranges.

Latest posts