• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

50-200' Low Ceiling Sharp Corner Approaches

Throw a understable disc at a lower power. The extra glide will help it carry more on a hyzer line and no need to torque a firebird hard or finesse a putter. I have a very beat up axiom crave i use for these kind of shots. They also skip much better vs slower mids. Nose up low flying hyzers are great for wooded courses!

For once we agree on something! This shot is a technical shot for sure and takes time to learn and get to the point where you execute it at a 80% of the time ratio. Most of the successful players I know that do this shot throw it from a standstill. Depending how far left I will use anything from a buzzz, drone, firebird, flash, predator, wraith;I guess it really doesn't matter that much when you have a set bag with discs you know well enough.

I've actually done well with this type of shot lately. I throw a soft Harp fairly hard and it cuts the corner well and doesn't skip that far or land that far where it hits. I also just picked up a G* Gator which I'm using for this type of shot and throwing it lower and getting a little more skip at the end.

I'd practice using thumbers thrown less overhand and more sidearm...Schwebby has mastered these shots...really good to know how to do them. Wicked turning skips.

Pro shop ring of gators, champ Gator. It's about all that I use it for other than hellacious head wind approaches or get out of jail overhands.

The fade is as strong as a functional disc can be and the skip is moderate (10-15') and predictable, even in deep grass. Also, good luck throwing it much past 200' without a rip-n-a- half.

Last edited:
If I can't get a Gator to make the corner, I'm throwing a roller. Usually with a wizard. I throw wizard rollers all the time to get out of trouble.

Forehand putter rollers are ridiculously easy, you just need to practice a little bit to get a feel for how far they'll go before curling left. Backhand ones are a little trickier because it's not as easy to get the landing angle consistent, but they still aren't too tough.

If you need it to stay straight for longer, move up to a midrange or overstable driver. All you need to do is practice this shot a few times and it will save you from a ton of trouble spots.

I'd practice using thumbers thrown less overhand and more sidearm...Schwebby has mastered these shots...really good to know how to do them. Wicked turning skips.

These bounce to the right for righties.

I've tried just mellowing out some hyzer shots with mids and it's working ok, still need to practice FH rollers more too. I tried one with a Firebird and it went 350' dead straight and tipped over onto its top without even curving around. Super crazy to watch for someone who never does them. It certainly wasn't a loop around the corner roller but it showed me that rollers can accomplish lots of different things with disc choice changes.

I've tried just mellowing out some hyzer shots with mids and it's working ok, still need to practice FH rollers more too. I tried one with a Firebird and it went 350' dead straight and tipped over onto its top without even curving around. Super crazy to watch for someone who never does them. It certainly wasn't a loop around the corner roller but it showed me that rollers can accomplish lots of different things with disc choice changes.

Completely agree, I practice those rollers daily when playing fetch with my dog. Great way to learn those shots without the "effort" of going and getting them or emptying a whole bag...yes it's lazy. Mine are all FH rollers as well...good tip on the Firebird...will try.

Non-cut rollers have a maximum amount of corner cutting ability. Kinda like hyzers. Cut rollers can go a LONG way left or right; kinda like anhyzers.

The Firebird resists turning over, so it can run out of steam and not cut the corner (like you experienced) more easily than a flippy disc. However, I think OS stuff has more corner cutting potential.

Have you tried a forehand hyzer-flip?

Non-cut rollers have a maximum amount of corner cutting ability. Kinda like hyzers. Cut rollers can go a LONG way left or right; kinda like anhyzers.

The Firebird resists turning over, so it can run out of steam and not cut the corner (like you experienced) more easily than a flippy disc. However, I think OS stuff has more corner cutting potential.

Have you tried a forehand hyzer-flip?

Yeah that's exactly what happened. Coasted the whole way with a 20 degree angle below vertical, and kept resisting the turn. By the end it was going so slow it just tipped over.

When you say OS has more corner cutting ability, is that on a cut roller, or on a normal roller that you just start more tipped over? Or both? Obviously it would be in opposite directions.

I have not tried FH turnovers, interesting idea. I'm just getting to the point of being able to flick my putters ~200' straight so I should be able to do that with an US mid.

It's cool that there's so many different options to get to the same spot in disc golf.

When you say OS has more corner cutting ability, is that on a cut roller, or on a normal roller that you just start more tipped over? Or both? Obviously it would be in opposite directions.

I was talking about a flip-roller. After it flips, it still seems to resist flipping over, and doesn't fall over as quickly.

For cut rollers, I'm not really sure. I always throw OS to avoid flipping them. I think it would be different in the way anhyzers are different. Both can go over there, but they're going to look a little different.

FWIW, I use the flipping of the disc to control the distance (like using hyzer to control distance on air shots). That's usually when I use flippy discs; just to get them on their top quickly.

Latest posts