• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] A beginners first distance driver

wims

Double Eagle Member
Good day
I started playing disc golf perhaps a couple of months ago, I have been playing it (and thinking about it) a lot in that time period tho. Perhaps too much (is there even such a thing as too much disc golf?). I started out with an Innova starter set (dx 150g, aviar - shark - leopard), and I have bought a couple of discs after that, a champ roc 3 at 170 and super stingray, I believe it's 166.

Now I'm looking for my first distance driver. I'm thinking about something like a Destroyer or perhaps a Tern, but I'm not too sure how those discs would perform with a novice like me. Does anybody have any other suggestions, and if so, why? I would prefer the suggestions to be Innova discs tho, as thats the only brand my local brick-and-mortar sports stores carry. I *could* buy other brands on the net, but I much prefer to buy in a store, then immediately go and play with my new toy.

wims

I reccommend avoiding all the flashy fast stuff like Terns and Destroyers and looking for a nice Champion Beast or a Star or Champion Valkyrie. Maybe even a Champ Roadrunner. All of those are similar in stability to what you are throwing but have enough balls to get you out a bit further without developing poor technique and crippling your development.

How far are you throwing? A Destroyer is going to be overstable if you're not getting it closer to 400'. A lighter Tern might be ok but I'd say a Valk, Roadrunner, Sidewinder, or the like. But if you're bombing your Roc 350' then a Destroyer might be a good option

champion monarch is what I went up to early on.. lots of choices really and depends a lot on how far you throw those other discs regularly. nothing over speed 9 should be needed yet tho and stay away from the left side of the innova flight chart.

It depends on what you want to do with it. I agree and say get something slower instead of what's new and super fast. Valks are great first discs to step up speed. They aren't the highest speed but I've seen them fly farther than all the high speed distance drivers with a lot more control. But ask to throw some friends discs and see what works for you. Remember new discs won't fly the same as some best in discs which happen to do plastic a lot faster.

Not knowing how far you're throwing, a heavier weight Pro/Star Leopard would be my suggestion.

Alright, thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. I definitely don't bomb my Roc 350ft, I'm doing perhaps 250-275 with it when I manage to transfer the energy properly into the disc. My Leopard reaches a similar distance. I'm throwing RHBH

Keep your disc speeds down until you can consistently get the Roc3 out over 300'. As for a driver, I'd echo the recommendations of a Valkyrie or Sidewinder, and that's as fast as I'd take it for a while.

With your distances, I would keep my Leopard recommendation.

^^ THIS

There is nothing to be ashamed of throwing the discs you have. Take the time to really learn them and throw them properly. The hardest part of disc golf as a begginer is to have the patcience to leave the blizard 10+ speed discs on the shelf. Its the fallacy that 95% of new players go through. A new disctance driver wont make a distance impact on your game like lots of field work and form improvment.

You'll be happy you did when you're throwing your Roc & Leo farther than other begginers are throwing their Blizzard Katana.

We've all been there. I went through the progression. When I took all the discs over speed 7 out of my bag. I played all of my rounds with putters and mids for 6 months, with the exception of a 170g champ leo and TB.

I still carry my Champ Leo and its a workhorse FW for me. A well thrown Leopard is a beautiful thing.

If you want some new toys to try that WILL improve your game, pick up these:

1) ESP Comet (Discraft)
2) Flat-ish Champ Leopard 168-171g (maybe even a glow champ)
3) Opto Pure (Latitude 64)

^Those discs will add easy distance to your bag, and help you to develop good form.

Welcome to this great sport! Feed your addiction with practice not plastic.
Good Luck!!

With your distances, I would keep my Leopard recommendation.

You are under-estimating my Monarch suggestion :p

But yeah -- I had a few champ leos that actually were a good amount more OS than should have been nearly teebird stability. Beat star leoapards bomb on a clean hyzer flip/flat shot

valk or pro wraith.

get pro plastic will get flippy but for you it will be nice disc for a long long time.

current destroyers are very stable.

don't forget. the comet will show you errors in your form. if you master the comet then get a katana. destroyers are too expensive.

The Archangel would be perfect for you. Innova Pro Shop has an XT Pro one right now, but it's readily available in DX. Its very predictable even at slower speeds. It's slightly over stable at slow speeds, stable at speeds you're probably throwing, and under stable at pro speeds.

Last edited:
If you really want to get a distance driver, I'd recommend a DX Valkyrie.

Champion Teebird and Champion Valkyrie. Those will last a long time, cover different shots, and be discs you'll still want to throw even after your game develops further.