• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Adding a disc to the bag after a tourney round starts?

So did you actually go to your car and get the disc, without holding up the card? Or did he stop you by saying it was illegal? Just trying to determine the sequence of events.

I forgot the disc on hole 1 during warmup. As we were approaching the green on hole 2 during play, the group behind us asked our group if we had lost a disc with a red Superman stamp; which I did not hear or I would have looked in my bag to see if mine was gone. At hole 4 I looked in my bag and discovered that my teebird was missing at which point the group informed me that it was discovered as we were approaching 2's green and then DUDE said I couldn't use it anyway.

I asked dude's woman if she would go get it and she agreed. After we teed off on 5 she returned without my disc, I asked the group behind us where they saw it/if they picked it up and they told me they left it there. I parked my second shot on the par 4 hole 5 and at that point called the TD to ask about the rule and to please find my 11x KC Pro teebird. He wasn't sure about the rule at that point and said he would look for the disc.

If he at that point had said there was no such you can't throw a disc not already in your bag rule, I very well may have jogged the two fairways over (holes 1, 2, 3, and 5 all run parallel) and quickly looked in the target area that I was warming up to. I suspect it may have taken a few minutes to make the round trip but I was the first to throw on the par 4 hole 5, we had five on the card, and I parked the hole so I'd probably be throwing last after everyone got to the green. In hide sight, having not gone to get the disc and watching everyone layup, approach in a couple cases, and being the last in the group to putt out after my parked 2nd shot, I could have easily made it back with my teebird in time to drop in my birdie without holding up the group (given I'd found the disc within a couple minutes; which the TD found by the tree I was laying up to in practice.)

Anyway, if I had recovered the disc I would have used that it during the rest of the round but C'est la Vei in the end I shot a 1009 rated final round and won the tourney PDGA B-tier by three strokes:)

http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/28328

So you're good enough to shoot a 1009 rated round to win and you don't know the rules?

Wow! :wall:

I forgot the disc on hole 1 during warmup. As we were approaching the green on hole 2 during play, the group behind us asked our group if we had lost a disc with a red Superman stamp; which I did not hear or I would have looked in my bag to see if mine was gone. At hole 4 I looked in my bag and discovered that my teebird was missing at which point the group informed me that it was discovered as we were approaching 2's green and then DUDE said I couldn't use it anyway.

I asked dude's woman if she would go get it and she agreed. After we teed off on 5 she returned without my disc, I asked the group behind us where they saw it/if they picked it up and they told me they left it there. I parked my second shot on the par 4 hole 5 and at that point called the TD to ask about the rule and to please find my 11x KC Pro teebird. He wasn't sure about the rule at that point and said he would look for the disc.

If he at that point had said there was no such you can't throw a disc not already in your bag rule, I very well may have jogged the two fairways over (holes 1, 2, 3, and 5 all run parallel) and quickly looked in the target area that I was warming up to. I suspect it may have taken a few minutes to make the round trip but I was the first to throw on the par 4 hole 5, we had five on the card, and I parked the hole so I'd probably be throwing last after everyone got to the green. In hide sight, having not gone to get the disc and watching everyone layup, approach in a couple cases, and being the last in the group to putt out after my parked 2nd shot, I could have easily made it back with my teebird in time to drop in my birdie without holding up the group (given I'd found the disc within a couple minutes; which the TD found by the tree I was laying up to in practice.)

Anyway, if I had recovered the disc I would have used that it during the rest of the round but C'est la Vei in the end I shot a 1009 rated final round and won the tourney PDGA B-tier by three strokes:)

http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/28328

BOOOOM! And that's the rest of the story ;)

Nice job, you played open as a non-PDGA member and took down the field with 3 really solid rounds. No wonder "dude" was trying to mess with you.

But yeah, knowledge is power so read those rules and carry a rule book so next time you won't be at the mercy of other dudes.

So you're good enough to shoot a 1009 rated round to win and you don't know the rules?

Wow! :wall:

I've had non-rule rules arguments with players that have won Majors in the Open division (and I was not the one arguing for a non-rule), so for 7 to be skilled enough to win this tournament but not know all the rules comes as no surprise to me.

Unfortunately, rules education is not a priority for most folks in the sport as the vast majority of new players are really only taught the bare basics of how to throw and left to pick up the rules of the game as they go along. It's typically incidents like this that prompt people to seek out proper rules, particularly when they are or could be on the "wrong" end of a ruling (whether it's a real rule or not).

I suspect it may have taken a few minutes to make the round trip but I was the first to throw on the par 4 hole 5, we had five on the card, and I parked the hole so I'd probably be throwing last after everyone got to the green.

Technically, this would be a courtesy violation, and you could get a warning for it. During a tournament, you are expected to watch your card mates throw, so that you can help them find their disc. (801.04.B).

Technically, this would be a courtesy violation, and you could get a warning for it. During a tournament, you are expected to watch your card mates throw, so that you can help them find their disc. (801.04.B).

That Teebird is definitely worth a warning or a stroke or two. Maybe not three given first paid $510. My bud that talked me into MPM after my first year playing hooked me up with it last year and its got a special place in my heart... I'll use it until I loose it.

I don't mean to complain it was my weekend, I won the pros CTP for three discs, missed the ace pot throw off by a smidge, but everyone had a throw off for a Ranger bag that I won and promptly sold to a newbie for a $100. Normally, I'm a bogey golfer... at least that's what they used to tell me right before they took my money at leagues when I first started out...

Hey JDubs, how about a side bet at Idlewild sometime but you got to take it easy on this grandmaster. I don't know all the rules:wall: often forget my own name;) but I'll remember to bring the party favors:D

Hey JDubs, how about a side bet at Idlewild sometime but you got to take it easy on this grandmaster. I don't know all the rules:wall: often forget my own name;) but I'll remember to bring the party favors:D

Idlewild isn't a bad idea, I'm able to use my walker on that course. ;)

Nice shooting! :clap:

Absolutely legal.

I once had a tree puncture a DX Valkyrie two holes into a tournament. At the time I was playing with only four discs and my card was courteous enough to allow me to run back to my car for a new one. I've also seen players stopping by the fly-mart mid round to buy a new disc they immediately began using. (after marking it of course.

Related to this, it is also legal to borrow a fellow competitors disc for a throw if the other player is agreeable.

Additionally, if you find a lost disc in the woods, you could start playing with that one. The only rules concerning discs you can throw are: It needs to be PDGA legal and not illegally modified or damages (rules go into more detail than I do), and it must be marked in some manner so it can be identified as yours (so if two players both throw a blue DX Valkyrie with a silver stamp on the same hole you can tell who's is who's.)

Latest posts