• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

altra olympus 5 gtx

gammaxgoblin

Eagle Member
I'm going with altra olympus 5 gtx this season. I am looking forward to the open toebox design. These have a fair bit of cushion to them which I like and initially they feel very comfortable. I report over the season with how they perform. Anyone have experience with them?

I got the mids for yule and have been using them in my few outings so far this year.

I used vivobarefoot trackers most of last season but decided I wanted to try something a bit sturdier, with some cushioning and more aggressive grip, while still retaining the zero drop and wide towbox design.

I love them so far, they've been excellent in the snow and slush that's a constant in these parts over the winter.

I think that when late spring/early summer rolls around I'll probably try swapping to the Altra Lone Peaks for a similar shoe with a less extreme cushion, but time will tell.

After 3 rounds, 2 in constantly pouring rain, totally dry feet except from sweat. Very good grip and traction on wet concrete, wet grass and mud. Very please so far.

nice... I've been rocking the Altra Lone Peaks for years now but these look pretty sweet.

I've played 7 rounds outside, walked in them through Icelandic winter weather and done a lot of indoor practicing.

4 of the 7 rounds it was pouring rain on a muddy course, of the other 2 rounds, one was on the same muddy course and the other two were on a course that holds water like no other and the entire course was half-bog with lakes forming on some fairways.

I'be yet to get my feet wet and the grip has been exceptional. I've slipped twice, once on a bad footwork forehand on a very slick concrete tee and once on a legit 40° hill that was just a pure mudslide.

They've probably got the best grip of any shoe I've worn, but it's not a noght & day difference between them and the second best.

The drawbacks would be that they're very warm (can be an issue when you get into 50-60°F+ temps) and they are quite clunky. Definitely not too clunky to play disc golf in but I will be getting a lighter pair (maybe non-mid Olympus or Lone Peaks) as the weather starts becoming more manageable.