• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am I the only one that doesn't putt with a putter?

moorent

Eagle Member
Over the last few months I've grown extremely comfortable with putting my Z buzzz.

I've only been playing for a few years and haven't had a chance to play in any tournaments yet- is putting with something other than a putter very common?

i know a couple guys who tommy putt as their primary form. the buzzz goes straight enough, but flys fast and slips through the chains a lot.

I don't think it's too common amongst serious disc golfers, but I see many people that only play every now and then putt with mids or drivers. I think most people that I see putting with something other than a putter do it out of lack of knowledge more than anything. They just own a disc or two, usually drivers or possibly a midrange, and use the one or two discs they own for every shot.

That being said, one of my friends that I introduced to the sport last year putts with a Buzz. He always had a problem with putters wobbling after his release and I tried working it out of him. The only thing that worked for him was putting with a mid, so he has since stuck with that. I told him he'd probably be better off in the long run if he learned to throw a putter properly, but he is just out to have fun so thats all that matters. I coldn't argue with him as I want everyone I play with to have fun, so I say throw whatever makes you happy!

I have experienced more discs slipping through the chains since I switched to the buzzz, but am making more putts overall because of how much more comfortable feel with it.

Would it be better to get a buzz in D plastic, or to try to find an actual putter with a profile I feel more comfortable with?

you may want to try an XD. It has a low profile like a buzzz but is a slower flying disc. when it came out it was marketed as a driver (ca. 1984). It's basically a retooled low profile Aviar. some of the Lat64° putters are pretty low profile but I can't remember which one.

EDIT: haha Apothecary beat me to it. but seriously XD

My brother usto think a wraith was the best disc ever, and that he could putt with it, halfway through the round he realized how stupid he was, now he uses putters :)

I putt with a buzzz when the wind is really strong. If the wind is like tornado strong then I will putt with a driver like a teerex. lol

get used to a putter. try something shallow like an XD.

you may want to try an XD. It has a low profile like a buzzz but is a slower flying disc. when it came out it was marketed as a driver (ca. 1984). It's basically a retooled low profile Aviar. some of the Lat64° putters are pretty low profile but I can't remember which one.

EDIT: haha Apothecary beat me to it. but seriously XD

XD is an awesome disc. A good long putter/short midrange. It was one of the first 3 discs I originally bought 15 years ago and that very disc is still in my bag getting used.

the best discer i play with on a regular basis putts with a champ wraith. can't feel sorry for him when that slippery thing goes right through the center of the chains though. with that said pretty much everyone eventually realizes why most people putt with putters. i think putting with drivers is one of those things you do when you first start and only have one disc anyways, and some people hold on to that security blanket for longer than others. you have to get worse to get better.

OMEGA SS is king of putters.....not a aviar...!but some people dont even know that if your outside 30 feet it is easier to keep a mid straight..my experiance only!just a late night thought.and this web site is the ****!!learned a lot sitting in front of this screen!then taking it to the course!! every 1 has a thought!!!

i have experimented with my buzzz's, especially the flx buzzz

for some reason i have a much better confidence and percentage when using it, but i'm forcing the wizard on myself, although, i may be going to a manget/titanic combo instead of my evo and sss wiz

it seems like the magnet is a lower profile, has a buzzlike grip, who knows, i think most of it is just putting - very little has to do with the putter itself, but my fingers dont hang onto a mid like they do to putters

to go with sa13's post, i could only agree cause its easier for me to snap a mid, hence keeping it straighter

but there should be no ground to stand on saying a mid floats straighter than a putter given the same throw (wind excluded) and equal stableness

Most people I take out for the first time, I give them a Soft Magnet to use, and they usually are hooked. I love my Soft Magents. Just enough glide, and they really stick to the chains.

I say give a 173-174 Soft Magnet a try. They only cost about $8-$9. If you don't like it, I will buy it from you.