• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone have a legit double eagle (albatross)?

Do you have a legit double eagle?

• Yes

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • No

Votes: 85 94.4%

• Total voters
At a tournament you do not keep score by par, you write the actual number. At the end I doubt the TD says that someone shot par if they shot a 54 on a course with a 60+ Par.

I recently won an open event at one of our local courses. I shot a 54 the 1st round on the long layout which they called par 62. It was the hot round. Many players were happy with their 58s and 60s. On the 2nd round I wanted to shoot in the 40's and managed to shoot a 49. I want to do better than everyone and win. Others want to beat the course and are lulled into mediocracy by some inflated pars.

Later that night I was bombarded with texts and calls wanting to know what the course par was. All I know is that it was 54 to me. BTW, somedays I break the 300ft barrier.

I recently won an open event at one of our local courses. I shot a 54 the 1st round on the long layout which they called par 62. It was the hot round. Many players were happy with their 58s and 60s. On the 2nd round I wanted to shoot in the 40's and managed to shoot a 49. I want to do better than everyone and win. Others want to beat the course and are lulled into mediocracy by some inflated pars.

Later that night I was bombarded with texts and calls wanting to know what the course par was. All I know is that it was 54 to me. BTW, somedays I break the 300ft barrier.

You are all that...and a bag of chips.

Harry Myers #17 is a legit par 5 from the long. They keep the same par for the short box and I've finished that hole in two throws several times. I'd say that hole is more of a 3.5 than a 5 from the short.

Basically this thread is now on a crash course to a debate on what is par. Some courses are legit par 60+ and others aren't. The point of the thread was on these par 60+ courses where there are legit par 5+'s, have you gotten a double eagle? If you count everything as a par 3 then you're excluding yourself from this discussion.

The only time course/signage par makes a difference in tournament play is when the player misses holes and you have to add strokes above "par" for the hole.
The truth is alot of TD's for-go this and call everything par 3 whether its accurate or not for convenience.
I wonder how many arguments came about between the player and TD about par because a player missed a hole that the TD deemed a par 4 or 5 and was stroked accordingly.
I always tell players to assign such penalties according to the par assigned during the tournament as opposed to signage par, which in most cases isn't "legit" par and if that's not provided then it's par 3's by default. Alot easier that way.
End lesson is simply, show up on time and don't miss holes because you might miss one deemed a par 4 or 5 in which case your screwed.

I have had one on a 740 foot hole a blue mountain in pa. It's a nice story to tell but the hole plays severelydown hill and could be a par 4. The drive was 700plus feet and canned the putts for a 2. Best hole of my life.

Big Jerm apparently 2'd a par 5 at nevin prior to the mando forcing you into the woods.

I got one this last summer at Pleasent Hill in Scarborough ME. 801' par 5 (Yes, we all play the holes as par 3) and I hit the upshot with my Lat 64 Pain from about 300' or so out.

I have some legit eagles, but no double eagles. To do that you'd have to get an ace on a par 4 or a deuce on a par 5 which should be a fairway ace. There aren't many legit par 6 holes out there, in fact I've only run across one in my travels.

I almost did at a tournament here in July. Skipped off the top the basket on a short-ish par 4. I meant to lay up as there is OB all around the basket, but accidentally uncorked a monster drive that nearly aced.

Last year some top pro aced a 650' hole with a roller. I don't remember who or where or what the par was on the hole but 650' usually means at least par 4 and possibly par 5.

Big Moe would have to chime in with the guy's name but I know for sure it's been done.

Hyzer Creek, Hole #12 is 711 feet

That tiny dirt patch you see in the distance is the near edge of the green.

a353f3a9.jpg

Latest posts