• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Appointed Certified Official

Wow that's interesting. The guy in question, claiming to be a certified official isn't on the list. Maybe they just haven't updated the list since he was certified but it's just looking more and more like he's about as phony as his wifes upshot.

Sorta funny the PDGA has issued 60,000+ membership numbers but only have 6,059 officials.
I had to take the test for AM Worlds and I also carry a rulebook. I'm not really into being the rule Nazi in my group but... rules are are rules and I want to play by them. I've only had one instance so far during a tournament where things got heated - but it was a real easy fix. The TD had printed a map with OB rules for each hole that went with our scorecards. A guy in my group claimed the water in the creek was the only OB - but I told him no...sorry, but in and beyond the creek was OB. 2 guys in our group and 2 from another group piped in and agreed with the player and voices were raised and some muttering about me not being a local came up. No need for a rule book......I just pulled out the sheet from the TD and let them all read it.

It's stuff like this that makes me think Ams should be trophy only. It's sad that the Pro either didn't know the rule or didn't care, and told her to not listen though.

Sorta funny the PDGA has issued 60,000+ membership numbers but only have 6,059 officials.

Yes, but they only have 16,000 or so CURRENT members and almost 40% are officials which is much better than a few years ago before starting the requirement for NT's Majors, and Worlds. It used to be around 5-10% of current players were officials back then.

Unfortunately it is still about 5-10% of officials that actually know the rules and about 25-50% that even carry a rulebook even though they are free or approximately 3 bucks if you lose it and have to replace it. :doh:

This def. completely conteracts what the Rules Committee stated a few years ago and appears they did change it.

But yes, this appears correct.

Perfect example of why a rule book is always needed. I really know the stuff up and down and I was just incorrect about this. These things def. change year to year...
I believe the impetus for change was this:
http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=33733

Latest posts