• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Archon For Distance?

The only thing that flies further for me is a Pro Katana, but like someone else said earlier...they are a little less reliable (and require some serious finesse).

I have seen the proto champ BSF and own 2 Star Stamp Proto Archons, but have the original production runs come out yet? How do they compare to the Proto's? I am a HUGE cevalk fan and love my star lemon katanas, but wonder how the archon will fit in to my game.

I believe that for recent disc releases Innova has protostar-stamped 2000+ discs, but the run is actually larger, encompassing stock stamps as well. So they're around, and they're the same as the protostars - shoulder, quite flat, etc. I don't like how star has been molding super flat recently, so I prefer the CFRs for normal use since they're a bit more stable.

Just bought my first Star Archon today and right out of the store this disc is flying awesome. I love my star valks, so these fly somewhat similar with a little bit more distance.

who else thinks its somewhat amazing that innova released a driver everybody seems to love from the beginning... even the 'i hate every new driver because its to fast' crowd seems to be down the starchon.

I am interested in trying this disc out for a distance driver. I currently throw Valks for distance so the comparison sounds good. I dont have quite enough power to get a wraith and surge up to speed. My Valks get about 15-20 feet further. Is the Archon easier to get up to speed than say a Wraith. I always get this urge to try out the faster discs but then get disapointed when I cant get them up to speed.

It IS a Vulcan top with a wraith bottom. The first ones to come out were even written VW on the bottom, for Vulcan Wraith hybrid before it had a name.

You're right man, sorry if I seemed contradictory. I had a DX Wraith previously and the under side of the edge seemed to curve more. I looked at a friends Pro Wraith yesterday and it is much straighter than I remembered and just like the Archon.

For others, like myself, who have a "noodle arm", I've tried throwing some of the faster discs like the Groove and the Ape and couldn't do a damn thing with them (except really lousy hyzers). Even though the fastest thing I could throw well previously was the SL (speed 10), the Archon (speed 11) seems really forgiving. I'm sure I'm not getting the ideal line that the disc was made to fly, but it's still increasing my distance and my S-shots are looking real good. I often feel like there is a built in "pilot assist" in the Archon that is helping correct for me when I thow a little off.

I am very interested in the Archon. I have not thrown one yet but the Champ Valk and Pro Wraith are my go to BH drivers and I am liking the comparisons being made.

I like the Archon. I got a 171g and 175g star first run stamp and they fly awesome! the lighter one flies like a nicely seasoned star wraith and the 175 is similar but a touch more stable. Both really nice discs. I wonder how the regular runs compare?

The productions and the protos fly similar. No real difference except some were gummy . Most were semi stiff though. I checked PLH on the stock,proto and bsf and the plh was all the same in the stars but the champ was a lil domier and more stable by a smal bit. The archon is good but the top zaps the glide. I can see people throwing pro wraiths a lil further. The archon is a good disc and easy distance getter,i found it to be nose angle sensitive though.

I don't want to buy a new disc. Is there anybody that doesn't like / love this disc? I've quit throwing my Vulcans. They aren't "reliable". Has the Wraith wing solved this?

I'm a "tweener". I don't need to be throwing Destroyers all the time (only against 20mph winds), but I don't have a "noodle arm" either. All I'm reading is "This disc is for YOU, this disc is for YOU". Say it ain't so...

I don't want to buy a new disc. Is there anybody that doesn't like / love this disc? I've quit throwing my Vulcans. They aren't "reliable". Has the Wraith wing solved this?

I'm a "tweener". I don't need to be throwing Destroyers all the time (only against 20mph winds), but I don't have a "noodle arm" either. All I'm reading is "This disc is for YOU, this disc is for YOU". Say it ain't so...

I'm probably similar to power in you from your description. I reliably get the high 300s, occasional 400+. Destroyer is a bit too beefy for max D only shots. Beat Star Wraiths and new Pro Wraiths were my best controlled D discs.

I'm not one to pick up the latest disc whenever they come out. I just happened into this Archon on a whim in a trade. It's what he had, so I decided fine, I'll try it. Totally glad I did. It's even a sweet star stamped one.

For me, it really is as controllable as an Eagle X but with the distance of my Wraiths. It's a keeper.

Last edited:
I'm probably similar to power in you from your description. I reliably get the high 300s, occasional 400+. Destroyer is a bit too beefy for max D only shots. Beat Star Wraiths and new Pro Wraiths were my best controlled D discs.

I'm not one to pick up the latest disc whenever they come out. I just happened into this Archon on a whim in a trade. It's what he had, so I decided fine, I'll try it. Totally glad I did. It's even a sweet star stamped one.

For me, it really is as controllable as an Eagle X but with the distance of my Wraiths. It's a keeper.

Ok... the Eagle X is my "main" driver when accuracy is a must. Yes, the beat Wraith is my best "big" driver.

I can buy one, if I must, I guess.

Bump this up! Anyone who would like to add some D to their drive should check it out. I recently added a 175 stock stamp Star Archon to the bag, let's just say, this thing ='s easy distance. Great glide, combined with high speed and low fade! It can easily handle touch annie line's with small amounts of low speed fade. Definitely not a headwind driver, but doesn't get as squirrely as you would think.

Great compliment to player's who like the Wraith! Like me

I believe that for recent disc releases Innova has protostar-stamped 2000+ discs, but the run is actually larger, encompassing stock stamps as well. So they're around, and they're the same as the protostars - shoulder, quite flat, etc. I don't like how star has been molding super flat recently, so I prefer the CFRs for normal use since they're a bit more stable.

the cfr champ archons have less glide but are money for accuracy.

Latest posts