• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Avenger SS or Sidewinder

bthoma1

Eagle Member
So I have been working on my turnover shot RHBH and I had a sidewinder and liked it, but it is gone now.
Anyone out there throw the Avenger SS? How would it compare?
I am no brand snob either way, I like both and any brands. But was thinking about trying some Discraft drivers.
What do you guys think

Pretty much Identical

I have both in champ. Between the 2 there are very subtle differences, essentially the same.

The SS turns a fraction more and pulls back in a little harder,

But i have been throwing a sidewinder ever since i started the game it was my first and favorite driver for years, so it was a big deal to switch to the SS, in the end after months of the 2 duking it out in the bag it came down quite simply to the fact that my SS is bright red, just a little easier to spot than my autumn yellow sidewinder.

You cant go wrong with either imho.

I have both in champ.
You have one in champ and one in Z. Yeah I'm being nitpicky, its late, I just got off work.
I prefer the Sidewinder for big anhyzer or S shots.
The Avenger SS in my experience makes an awesome roller, and is even easier for a smaller arm to put out a good distance. When I could hardly hit 200' BH with any disc, the Avenger SS would hit 250-60 for me.

my two cents, do with it what you will.

Hey at least they have some idea. At the course I play at here in the UK i have seen people use the baskets as bins, bike stands and BBQ's. There is nothing like the sound of empty beer cans as you hit an ace.

Recently some baskets have had some graffiti on them, i would tell you what they say, but it would probably get all ***** out! Infact one local took exception to the baskets entirely and had a go at them with a cricket bat. Kudos to discraft baskets, they are still fully functional, but do look like an elephant has bumped into them at night!

I loved my older flx avenger ss.

But the newer one i got is quite stable.
I have the arm to turn over my destroyers so an avenger ss is pretty flippy for me.

but when I turn it over it stables back ALOT harder then my sidewinder ever would.

The Avenger SS replaced my Sidewinder. I thought it went a bit farther, no the Vision has replaced my Avenger SS.

only because I lost the Avenger SS. Those 3 are all good for what you need.

I think the A-SS is just a bit slower than a Sidewinder with a touch more glide. I think this makes the A-SS a little easier to throw straight, and the Sidewinder has more S to its flight. The Sidewinder will go a bit farther as well.

if you are going to get an avenger ss DONT get in flx plastic because they are horrible for rolling:thmbdown:

I disagree with most here on the SS turning back. My SS's never come back, ever. Sidewinders I throw with a nice huge S, with a good fade back. No fade back with an SS avenger. If you want a discraft S disc, a XL(not Z) is for you.

The Avenger SS replaced my Sidewinder. I thought it went a bit farther, no the Vision has replaced my Avenger SS.

only because I lost the Avenger SS. Those 3 are all good for what you need.

How would you compare the vision to a flx Avenger ss?

I disagree with most here on the SS turning back. My SS's never come back, ever. Sidewinders I throw with a nice huge S, with a good fade back. No fade back with an SS avenger. If you want a discraft S disc, a XL(not Z) is for you.

What plastic have you thrown that does not comeback as much?

I have loved the avenger ss for a while and have thrown all the plastics. they definitely differ a good bit. I really like the z plastic, it is probably the mid stability of the plastics. esp and flx seemed a little flippier and the crystal is by far the most stable. I have thrown a sidewinder but not enough to really speak on it. I would tend to say from what little experience I do have that the SS will be a touch less stable. unless you get the crystal avenger ss and then you could have a match.

Maybe the Z Avenger SS is more like the Sidewinder, but in general, I find the Avenger SS is noticeably more understable than a Champ or Star Sidewinder. When brand new, the Z Avenger SS will have some minimal fade on the end of the flight, but usually you won't ever see fade on it unless it stalls. The Sidewinder has more fade to it, but not that much.

In terms of overall stability, I find the Avenger SS in all plastics to be closer to the Roardrunner than the Sidewinder, but I don't feel like the Avenger SS is quite as fast as either of those discs, nor flies exactly like either. It's still the same type of disc. If you are looking for less overlap, having 2 of these three discs in your bag (avenger ss, sidewinder, roadrunner) at the same time, would probably not be great. I know there's plenty of ppl that like to carry both the sidewinder and roadrunner in their bag at the same time, but adding an Avenger SS to either of those discs makes less sense.

I use the Avenger SS primarily for rollers, turnovers, annies, and low powered straight shots in the woods. It's a fun disc, but I replaced it with a beat X Avenger, which is a little more versitale for me, and probably is closer to the Sidewinder when broken in the Avenger SS is.

I've never really been a fan of the FLX Avenger SS, because it doesn't roll well, which defeats half the purpose of the disc for me. If you don't like to use the Avenger SS for rolling, and you want something that is slightly more stable than the ESP Avenger SS out of the box, then the FLX Avenger SS isn't a bad choice. But, they will still break in, to the point where they are basically an ESP Avenger SS that's more grippy, but can't roll for crap.

I'll second what someone else said about max weight red Z Avenger SS's, they seem to be the most consistently stable of the mold that I have seen, though the Cryztal Z's can be that way too, but are harder to find, easy to lose, and typcially cost a few bucks more.