• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Aviar3

Update: took my two Aviar3s to the range, along with Buzzzes and other discs. Wind was strong enough to be a factor, but not overwhelming, which made it a great day for testing. Threw the discs both ways, to have different wind conditions.

My pink Av3 is more (over)stable than my bright chartreuse-yellow Av3, so I've been using the pink one a lot more. Having said all that, both discs flew pretty straight as I was throwing at 86% power (give or take).

Into the wind, the Av3s bombed. They got great distance, sometimes more than the mids I was throwing. Flew pretty straight into the wind, sometimes did a very mild flex. But they also turned over a bit on some throws, which might've been operator headspace and timing (rolling my wrist).

One other disc I threw was a Hornet, which the Av3 kicked out of the bag. The Hornet is longer than the Av3 and a bit more (over)stable. But the Hornet is a mid, so it SHOULD be longer, yes? But the Av3 was competitive.

On shots with tailwinds, the Av3s showed some of their lack of glide and would "reach" for the ground, so I wasn't very pleased with the distance. The pink faded more than the yellow disc, but not by a lot and they both had similar distance. I probably needed to throw those higher into the air when throwing with tailwinds, so I'll work on that.

So this basically confirmed for me that the Av3 fights the wind pretty well, can go long, and isn't as overstable as discs such as the Harp, Hornet, Gator, etc. I'm still bagging the Av3 for long approaches for now, but the Rhyno/P2/Hornet in various combinations may try to sneak back in there...

SD86 and others who have been getting straight, no fade flights from the Aviar3: how far are you throwing these when that happens? I was getting similar results at first but have found it to fade on longer and/or higher throws.

SD86 and others who have been getting straight, no fade flights from the Aviar3: how far are you throwing these when that happens? I was getting similar results at first but have found it to fade on longer and/or higher throws.

Generally I'm throwing at near-full-power when this happens, and I'm throwing into the wind. As a noodle-arm, I'm getting in the low 200s, though I rarely try to throw it that far on the course.

In the absence of a headwind, I also get more fade on higher throws, and I get 'stall' shots, where the disc slows down, turns left (RHBH throw) and goes for the ground.

I also have a bit of a natural tendency towards the anny/turnover release, and while I'm working on mitigating that, the slight flex shot I get from that tends to offset more fade. I put my Av3s on a hyzer line to make sure they do fade.

Generally I'm throwing at near-full-power when this happens, and I'm throwing into the wind. As a noodle-arm, I'm getting in the low 200s, though I rarely try to throw it that far on the course.

Well that explains a lot for me. When I read your post about the Av3 holding up well into the wind, I was surprised since I didn't see the same results. In calm conditions it flew great and I really liked the disc, with the one exception being distance control. The Av3 always went further than I expected, but was able to dial that in.

But where the Av3 fell short for me was into the wind. Thrown flat into headwinds it would want to drift right on me, not always coming back either. But the difference between you and I is I was throwing the Av3 out over 300'. Must be at my higher arm speed, the Av3 just couldn't handle the headwinds.

Well that explains a lot for me. When I read your post about the Av3 holding up well into the wind, I was surprised since I didn't see the same results. In calm conditions it flew great and I really liked the disc, with the one exception being distance control. The Av3 always went further than I expected, but was able to dial that in.

But where the Av3 fell short for me was into the wind. Thrown flat into headwinds it would want to drift right on me, not always coming back either. But the difference between you and I is I was throwing the Av3 out over 300'. Must be at my higher arm speed, the Av3 just couldn't handle the headwinds.

Why would you choose a putter when you want to throw 300+ feet into a headwind? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just asking the question. Even most of the touring pros you see aren't reaching for putters in that situation (maybe Simon/Eagle, but since when are any of us Simon or Eagle?). It seems like what you're saying is that the Aviar3 acts fairly overstable when it's being thrown on what most people would consider normal sorts of putter shots (say something <275 feet or a little less than that with a headwind). But it can be overpowered and made to fly straight or even turn a little. Does that seem accurate? So that would imply that it's a mold that is somewhat power sensitive.

Speed sensitive for sure. But I've had issues with it into the wind on shots closer to 250' as well, as that's where I typically throw my putters out to on course (250-280'). It's not nearly as good into the wind as I'd think it would be after throwing it in calm conditions.

For me the, Av3 wasn't as overstable as I was hoping. I loved it's flight in calm conditions, and I also loved it's feel in hand. But I was trying to have it replace my Envy that I bagged, and it did not due to it's performance into the wind. My S-line P2 also holds up into the wind much better, but I prefer the feel of shallower putters for driving.

Speed sensitive for sure. But I've had issues with it into the wind on shots closer to 250' as well, as that's where I typically throw my putters out to on course (250-280'). It's not nearly as good into the wind as I'd think it would be after throwing it in calm conditions.

For me the, Av3 wasn't as overstable as I was hoping. I loved it's flight in calm conditions, and I also loved it's feel in hand. But I was trying to have it replace my Envy that I bagged, and it did not due to it's performance into the wind. My S-line P2 also holds up into the wind much better, but I prefer the feel of shallower putters for driving.

To your point, Paul McBeth was trying the Aviar3 and apparently has taken it out of his back, saying it was "not overstable enough". I wasn't surprised, as he never seemed to get the Av3 comfortably dialed in, and often went right of his target. That supports a "big arm" person like him (and you) not getting the fade he and you seek.

One question I have is if you tried hyzer-flipping the Av3 on headwind shots, so that you don't get as much turnover?

For me, especially after knocking the new off, it was too power- and angle-sensitive, I guess one could say. I am not consistent enough for it, most likely hehe. Like I would try a 75% high-ceiling flick. If I accidentally threw at 70% it would fade back or stall too much, but at 80% would turn too much. Or if the release angle was off it would either never get stable or fade too early. I did have a share of good throws with it, but I have learned that I can work other discs to my favor without as much effort.

Look like a lot of people are coming to the same conclusion I did a few weeks ago. The Aviar3 is just too sensitive and not consistent. I REALLY wanted to like the disc but it didn't make the cut. Since I switched back to Rhynos my short game has been on point. Been carrying 2 Aviar P&A and 2 Rhynos and couldn't be happier where my games at. I will give the Champs a try when l get my hands on one though.

Look like a lot of people are coming to the same conclusion I did a few weeks ago. The Aviar3 is just too sensitive and not consistent. I REALLY wanted to like the disc but it didn't make the cut. Since I switched back to Rhynos my short game has been on point. Been carrying 2 Aviar P&A and 2 Rhynos and couldn't be happier where my games at. I will give the Champs a try when l get my hands on one though.

I'm in the same boat.

Aviar3 just didn't do it for me.

What plastic for the aviar p and a and the rhynos?

I use DX classic pna or McPro aviars, swirly s-p2's, and champ san marino rhynos in standard and XG champ. Also found a sanny star aviar for a premium turnover disc at PIAS this weekend. Flies like a beat classic pna but lasts forever.

Interesting how the Aviar3 performs so differently. For me, I carry a Star Aviar3 because I can throw it forehand more consistently. I tried testing it out on windy days whenever I had the chance and it flew like a fresh Classic Aviar does in calm conditions (for context, out to about 240 feet, with a longest throw of about 260 feet.) Also there are some holes at various local courses where it seems to be the perfect disc to throw off the tee since it won't glide too far (into water or other trouble.) It is nice to be able to walk to the tee and know which disc to throw.

I thought the Star Aviar3 would work well with my sidearm....it didn't. To be fair, my sidearm form isn't the cleanest. The Aviar3 showed some turn in a headwind thrown forehand. I liked it backhand but I'll be sticking with S-P2s. I might have to tryout a Pig or Tank for my sidearm upshots. I don't like flicking discs with beads. Until I find the right sidearm putter I'll be flicking a Mortar.

I'm in the same boat.

Aviar3 just didn't do it for me.

What plastic for the aviar p and a and the rhynos?

I carry a DX P&A for most putts, DX San Marino small bead for upshots and jump putts, old glass top Champ Rhyno for stable throws with full power and most drive/approach shots are with an R-pro Rhyno. I have a few old Pros but found a great run of R-pro a few months back. Love that disc. The setup feels very simple yet every shot is covered for me.

still rocking the aviar3 duo but my dx gets most of the air time,the s line gets used occasionally but sometimes is too stable for the shot. ive put a beating on my dx but it has only gotten straighter while still retaining some LSS. i was wanting a luster but theyve been too pricey for me so im most likely going to switch out the s av3 when the p3x comes out!

I thought the Star Aviar3 would work well with my sidearm....it didn't. To be fair, my sidearm form isn't the cleanest. The Aviar3 showed some turn in a headwind thrown forehand. I liked it backhand but I'll be sticking with S-P2s. I might have to tryout a Pig or Tank for my sidearm upshots. I don't like flicking discs with beads. Until I find the right sidearm putter I'll be flicking a Mortar.

The Discraft Zone is totally the sidearm putter you're looking for!

I bought a star aviar3 for drives and approaches because my DX was beating in quite quick. I love the blend of star I have it's a blue max weight. I putt with DX AV3, but has anyone tried putting with the star? The moment these come out in a fairly stiff pro I'll be set as it sits in my hand so great and when I miss I know it's all me. I've even begun forehanding to moderate success too. Count me as a fanboi for the disc.

I bought a star aviar3 for drives and approaches because my DX was beating in quite quick. I love the blend of star I have it's a blue max weight. I putt with DX AV3, but has anyone tried putting with the star? The moment these come out in a fairly stiff pro I'll be set as it sits in my hand so great and when I miss I know it's all me. I've even begun forehanding to moderate success too. Count me as a fanboi for the disc.

I use my Star Aviar3 for drives and approaches, but on occasion I've putted with it if I happen to have it in my hand. Also threw a couple of 'practice' putts into headwinds to see how it would do (and it did fine). If one likes the grip, then one should be able to putt with an Aviar3 after getting in the proper amount of practice. I fully agree that a Pro Aviar3 would be awesome for putting.