• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand "Snap" Question

I mentioned before that I had done some field work and felt like I'd discovered something about my form. That I was opening my shoulders to the target too early, and it was shortening the distance I had for the elbow chop to occur, so I was either yanking everything or simply losing power. So I started focusing on getting my hand and elbow out ahead of my shoulder turn, and started feeling like I was getting better torque.

Well, up until that point, I was a 375' thrower with the occasional laced 400' drive. And while I haven't measured my most recent drives, I did play a familiar course just this weekend, and I was hitting spots that I've never hit before. I only gained maybe 20-30' over my max before, but I was hitting that distance much more consistently, with less effort, and on straight lines instead of big hyzer flip distance lines.

Still not hitting, I don't think. But I'm closer.

Shows that you are getting more distance when you bring the disc in close to your chest. Also, when the disc hits your chest, it makes you pause a little bit, forcing you to accelerate late into the hit. Instead of pulling through in a straight line, try bringing the disc into your chest at an angle. The path of the pull-through will be a flat V-shape. You should feel the weight of the disc after it passes through the bottom of the V. Don't accelerate until that point.

I know that everybody says to pull through in a straight line, but this is more to eliminate rounding. What I described above is the opposite of rounding and will help you to feel the weight of the disc vs. a straight pull.

Pick one thing and focus on only that until it gets ingrained into your muscle memory. Then move on to the next one.

So what on the pull through? Pull out to in? I guess in not following how I would make a v unless I did a reach back at one angle and pull through at a different one....

So what on the pull through? Pull out to in? I guess in not following how I would make a v unless I did a reach back at one angle and pull through at a different one....

It's not exactly a "V". It's like union y^2=-x, y^2=x where y is always positive.

What you're doing is flattening the arc that would be created by holding your arm straight and rotating the hips. So yeah, you're pulling in on one angle and out on another.

Yep, out, in, out. Create angles/arcs to increase acceleration. Watch how wide Barry Shultz "reaches" back.

Ok the V thing is odd and I need to work on it, it feels like I'm changing direction mid pullthrough.

Either way I got to the field a little yesterday, couldn't shoot any vids though sorry, here is what I may have figured out, still seems odd to me but whatever....

I was just walking and I would just sidestep a bit and throw discs messing around, what I noticed was they flew nearly as far as if I was actually trying and the were low. So I tried from a standstill

Basically if I keep my shoulders closed during the pullthrough it fixes a lot of things......the disc goes farther with less effort, I didn't really gain distance, though on a few I did, but I was throwing easier to get that distance and the distance was more consistent. The early releases werent too much of an issue, I did get a couple griplocks but I think thats timing.

Also the nose angle isse was nearly fixed..if anything some throws were too low, like 2 feet off the ground. It seemed at least, will need more practice or play time to confirm, that I could even actually control how high the disc was off the group. Thats something I could never do before. I tried an extreme nose down throw like I would before, that would usually go 10 15 feet in the air still, and I basically threw it into the ground, not quite but it was 2 feet for about 75 feet or so....

The disc were flying like I thought they should be flying and I think I may have been getting at least some snap....Grip still needs work, because I had one where I must have had a really good grip on my Tursas, because it ripped out harder than anything else I threw and went maybe 20 feet farther than any of my other throws...all with a really nice S line on it....

So could I have been opening my shoulders up too early? I would think the shoulders should open and facilitate the arm coming through but, with me at least, that doesn't seem to be the case. Someone mentioned this in another thread too, clearing before the shoulders open, and I thought I tried it and it didn't make a difference. This time it seems like it is though, though from even that time until now my whole throw has changed so thats probably why.

Last edited:
I started getting the sound of the disc ripping out of my hand and getting that "snap" feeling after watching a video here. The instructor/pro showed to actually rotate his shoulders away from the target and coil the core in the beginning of the x step. Then basically uncoil everything. I wasn't doing this and man when I started, it made a big difference. I also stopped death gripping with what they call the "power grip" I couldn't throw well at all with this grip so I started using a modified fan grip and that has helped with that "snap" for sure.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Yes, keep the shoulders closed until you are in the right pec position. Clear the hips just before that and you should be on your way.

This is the idea behind the "V". As Dan Ensor mentioned, it isn't exactly a "V", but there is a distinct change in direction... https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24903&hilit=rail&start=30

Right but I thought I was doing that before, obviously I wasn't, In not doing it at all now. Basically the disc is out and my right shoulder is still pointing at the target and maybe thats what I need for a while. Get that right then try to add some turn at some point...who knows.

That thread looks good I'll read through that...

Yep, out, in, out. Create angles/arcs to increase acceleration. Watch how wide Barry Shultz "reaches" back.

So, I was just throwing around a bit and kinda discovered this myself. I feel like I need to read everything siderwinder22 posts, I am tired of discovering then reading he posted it... Anyways, I have kinda taken to doing a mini Shultz throw lately. McBeth adds a little to this I think maybe. I may be mistaken. I was trying, fora while, to keep everything in a very straight line and never take it off the line, but this actually has improved my accuracy.

Latest posts