• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wet muddy conditions off front of tee pad

gammaxgoblin

Eagle Member
Ill start off by saying I am feeling a little frustrated by playing tournament yesterday in persistent heavy rain ALL DAY. Specifically, I have just found out the FEEL of really throwing with my body and not just arm leaving with some 400'+ golf line drives in practice round earlier in the week. Now I will say this shift in thinking and form is so new I have ot be real intentional with pre throw routine to carry it into the actual throw. Ive found that this really whips my body through after release and I have to, at this point, be very intentional about pushing down and catching my body weight with my trail leg and foot (RHBH). Soooo come to yesterday and with all the cold weather, wet gear and braces my mobility felt constrained and the area right off the teepads, where my body now goes and I need to be able to plant, is a slick wet muddy mess on every teepad. I reverted to prior mechanics not feeling confident I wouldn't end up on my head or ass in the wet mud. The question is this: Do I start my walk up to x step further back, even off the teepad behind it when force between body and ground is much lighter so I can follow through with sure footing still on the end of the teepad OR do I just just have to accept that driving in these conditions will be fairly conservative compared to solid footing in dry conditions? What are your thoughts, experiences and advice? Thanks!

I think you have to accept the limitations imposed by wet & muddy conditions and adjust accordingly. Throttle down, throw less stable discs, and opt for standstills. In difficult conditions it becomes more about avoiding mistakes than generating scoring opportunities.

I NEVER want to go off the end of any teepad....and I don't. The end of my throws are completed a couple feet before the end. Honestly, that two feet is not the make or break of any hole. I have no interest in injury.

Last edited:
I NEVER want to go off the end of any teepad....and I don't. The end of my throws are completed a couple feet before the end. Honestly, that two feet is not the make of break of any hole. I have no interest in injury.
Great point, thank you, I have enough injuries I manage at this point =) I will alter my walk up to complete on the teepad!

I think you have to accept the limitations imposed by wet & muddy conditions and adjust accordingly. Throttle down, throw less stable discs, and opt for standstills. In difficult conditions it becomes more about avoiding mistakes than generating scoring opportunities.
I like that standstill option, I use it a lot in muddy conditions, and disc up. Every practice field session starts with standstill whether it's a putter or 14 speed.

I have a similar standstill where I am doing a casual V with legs sideways and I go to back leg moving to front if bad run up and I know I could not do one. For even worse throws I am in casual V or closer to a power stance V depending on distance with legs sideways.

Latest posts