• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bag for backpain?

To add to this, if a cart allows you to finish a round without pain, who cares what kind of looks you get?
^^^^ This is the main reason to get a cart.

I know I wouldn't be able to walk the day after a two round tournament if I had to carry my bag. Like the OP, I have lower back pain after and during rounds to the point that I can't sit during tournaments without the fear of pain when I get back up.

if you want a cheap look at good will or yard sales to find a jogging stroller with large wheels. Most guys around DFW say they find them for $20-50. You can leave them stock or mod them how you see fit. pushing them up hills is easy as long as it's not through uncleared rough. I find there are very few courses where I know I can't bring my bag boy quad cart when I play.

I'll say something that I had to "swallow"recently as well...

...You need to lose some pounds. Getting a bag and lightening the load will only do but so much. You stated you've had back pain for years, a bag won't fix that. Shed about fifty pounds and your knees and back will thank you. I was pulling my back every month for almost 6 months straight. I lost about 20 pounds, and got more flexible. Your hamstrings could be a major culprit, especially if you never stretch.

Get your body taken care of, then worry about the bag. I wish you all the best on your journey.

I'll say something that I had to "swallow"recently as well...

...You need to lose some pounds. Getting a bag and lightening the load will only do but so much. You stated you've had back pain for years, a bag won't fix that. Shed about fifty pounds and your knees and back will thank you. I was pulling my back every month for almost 6 months straight. I lost about 20 pounds, and got more flexible. Your hamstrings could be a major culprit, especially if you never stretch.

Get your body taken care of, then worry about the bag. I wish you all the best on your journey.

Well, I was waiting for this answer from someone. And that's the most polite way to call someone a fatty that I know of.

I'm just kidding, thanks for the support, but playing more disc golf IS me getting in better shape and taking care of myself.
This is the route that I chose to get healthy, and playing a game is really the only way I'll do it. I've had back pain since I was 170 many years ago. It's just gotten much worse. (admittedly weight related)

Everyone has given some really good, very helpful advice. And your encouragement has led me to pull the trigger on the go cart. I'll think I'll just play the scoliosis card with my friends who play with me if they try to give me crap about it, and make them feel bad for making fun of a legitimate handicap.

What a great community. Thanks people!

Everyone has given some really good, very helpful advice. And your encouragement has led me to pull the trigger on the go cart. I'll think I'll just play the scoliosis card with my friends who play with me if they try to give me crap about it, and make them feel bad for making fun of a legitimate handicap.

What a great community. Thanks people!

Forget playing the "injury" card and just beat them every round. I guarantee you'll start seeing carts showing up left and right! :D

A big contributor to lower back problems is using the backpack strap add-ons with a shoulder bag like the Fade, and not shortening the straps enough so it rides too low. The higher on your back you can get your bag to ride, the less stress it puts on your back. If it's riding on your lower back or your butt, that's only making your back issues worse. Just something to consider in the meantime before you purchase whichever backpack or cart strikes your fancy.

This is an excellent point.
I've used the Gateway Mini Backpack for a few years now.
Fits 16-20 discs, and rides high and tight on your back, very comfortable.

On a related note, a couple of years ago I put away the backpack and used my old Fade Crunchbox w/ shoulder strap during winter golf since I carried less. Noticed immediately that the shoulder bag would bother my lower back after a round or two even though I was carrying much less.

Forget playing the "injury" card and just beat them every round. I guarantee you'll start seeing carts showing up left and right! :D

I recently let 3 of them play as team with their best disc against my 1 throw by myself, and I still won. I think I'll use your method. Thanks.