• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bag Overhaul

mAzzA

Par Member
I've been trying to decrease how many molds I throw, and have a few that will never leave my bag. But there are a few shots I'm not really comfortable with and not sure which disc I should be carrying. I rarely throw anything faster than my Strikers, and throw 250' putters, 300' mids, 350' drivers. On a rare occasion with the right wind I can hit 400+ on high distance lines.

During the last couple seasons my backhand has improved a lot. I used to be a FH only thrower except putts, but now my FH and backhand are equal.

So I just dropped a bunch of discs, and want to keep it simple, here's my bag-

Sinus SP - Soft, short putter
Sinus AP - Hard, approach, overstable driving, short FH rolls
Aviar PnA - Long putts and understable driving

Fuse - Understable mid
Core - Straight mid, most used
Trident - Overstable mid, FH rolls, overhand. I keep going back and forth between this and Drones, have FLX and Z. Trident rolls better but Drones stick better on landing.

XXX - Same as trident, but longer
Vision - Big hyzer flips, anny's to the ground, BH roller
Striker - Nearly all drives, carry 3, 160g beat opto for understable and tailwinds, 172g worn in as a main, max weight goldline stripper edition for overstable

Rarely thrown
ESP Venom - Longer XXX, less stable but cuts through headwinds nice
Blitz - Same as Venom, havn't decided between the two, more overstable
Halo - Longer Striker, I'm liking this one but can't always get it up to speed, still working on backhand form

So that's 14 discs in an Innova competition bag, I really don't like to carry more than that and it leaves room to throw in some tester discs to play with. As you can see I REALLY like Lat64, but brand really doesn't matter much to me. I have a stack of ~30 other discs, 1/2 are backups of what I throw, the others need sold or tested more.

So :thmbup: or :thmbdown: any other discs I really need to try? I have wraiths, nuke, katana, boss, but don't really like the big rim stuff. Might give the wraiths a try again, fly similar to my halo but the grip is different.

Last edited:
Got in a round this morning, and decided to drop the Fuse for a Drone. I can work the Core on any line and it's more consistent for me. It's a first run and has always been in my bag so any fade has been beaten out of it unless I put it on a hyzer line. I also dropped the Venom for another XXX that I can start beating in. It just wasn't consistent enough, hard to know how much it'll flip in a headwind.

I also realized my 160g "Striker" isn't a striker... it's a SOLF, whoops :) They fly so similar, the wing and grip are identical, so I just consider it my lightweight striker. With a bit of L to R tailwind it's also the disc I can throw the farthest.

In my opinion, I don't think you should use the Aviar P&A for putting at all. Having separate putters for different lengths of putts can mess with consistency. Putting is all about doing the same thing over and over again, so having different putters for different lengths of putts will mess with that.

I also see that you don't have a straight flying putter for driving. For these situations I use a Dynamic Discs Judge, and I use it ALL OF THE TIME. You don't realise how much a straight flying putter comes in handy until you have one.

Everything else looks fine though, and I think you have a pretty solid bag. Carrying some backups of your favorite molds is also a good idea if you wouldn't mind a few more discs...

Sinus is a better driving putter than a Judge IMO.
I think your bag looks pretty stripped down.

You said:
"But there are a few shots I'm not really comfortable with and not sure which disc I should be carrying."

Can you elaborate on the holes you're trying to fill?

If you love your Core, get a couple more. Try it in different weights and plastics, and dial in your favorite combination.

You could always just go ahead and get a Striker. If you want something slower, look at a DD Thief.

I agree, putting is the worst part of my game. I'm thinking of picking up a JK Aviar again for all putting. It's what I started with and I think the other 10 putters I've tried since I lost it just havn't worked quite as well. I've tried the Spike, Pure, Rhyno, Wizard, Magic, Voodoo, Challenger, Banger, Magnet, Birdie, and probably a few others I can't think of. So definitely open for suggestions here, but another JK Aviar is at the top of my list.

Driving with putters is something I almost never do. My grip and release is just more consistent with mids, so 90% of the time I'll throw the Core instead. I do use the Sinus for short hyzers that need to stick and not skip, same with anny's and the Aviar PnA.

I have a hard anny spin putt, so I really like the Sinus, I use it for all putts within 50'. The Aviar PnA is only pulled out for understable approaches and long runs at the basket that the Sinus just can't hit since it's so overstable. But if I go back to the JK Aviar I think I could use it for all lines...

I carry 3 Strikers and 2 XXX since I can't live without them. I have backups for everything except the Halo, and I wouldn't care if I lost it, probably just throw a Wraith back in the bag since I have a couple. The problem is all the backups that aren't in my bag are clear opto...so I need to stop being lazy and dye them :)

Declarkus, all the Lat64 in my bag is first run and I do have backups. The places where I think I have holes is my entire putting game :) and maybe a disc between the striker and vision, but I think cycling worn strikers has the range between the XXX and Vision covered. I still have my original first run 169g opto Striker, and after years have finally beat all the fade out of it, but it still has decent HSS.

I had a gold line core that I lost, but I never liked it as much as my opto anyway, and I have 2 backups for it. About time to cycle in a new one to start wearing it in.

Mostly, there's a gap between the core and drone too. Core is straight to understable, drone is way overstable. So I'm thinking of looking for a disc between them.

Also not really liking the halo, maybe a disc a bit slower and a touch less stable for max d? Maybe a Tern or Flow?

I use discraft exclusively for mids. Something between the drone and core would probably be a Wasp but maybe a hornet. Hornet is more than a Wasp but less than the drone. I usually carry 4 mids but after today I think I could get away with a comet and Wasp, or comet ad hornet. Sadly I just don't think my Buzzz will make it.

As for fairway I use a river and Stalker. I carry a Champ teebird when I need more stability. I could probably pick between the Stalker and river but the Stalker is interesting in many areas and particularly difficult for me to drop.

For the mid gap, look Mace.

My buddy could never get a Halo up to speed and had control issues with the Flow, but he was instantly a fan of the Thief.

If you want to stay Lat64 with your putter, try a Dagger.

If the JK Aviar doesn't work for me the Dagger will probably be my next try. I might check out the Thief too, just don't wanna get into a plastic buying frenzy like I did a few years ago...still thinning out all the extras.

I used to carry the River too, one of the molds I dropped. It was between my Core and Vision, and I'm just more comfortable powering down on the Vision instead of ripping on the river.

I've tried the Wasp and I liked it, but it was D plastic and didn't last long at all. Replaced it with Drones, but I havn't been able to really beat one in yet to see how I really like it long term.

I havn't bought discs for a few years, so mostly I'm just wondering if there's some new ones out there that I really have to try. Also since I just dropped ~5 molds, I wanted to make sure you guys didn't see any big gaps.

I'm about to go out for another round. I plan on playing in our Ice Bowl next month so I gotta get used to throwing in the cold, I usually only play on warmer days in the winter.

Here's my bag-
attachment.php

Everything to the right of the mini bag is backups, to the left is sh*t that I need to trade or sell and get rid of. I've probably given away ~10 discs to friends already just to get rid of them :)

Attachments

• IMG_20141213_132752801.jpg
    IMG_20141213_132752801.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 48
I have a z Wasp that I like alright. I don't know if it is os as much as I'd like. I'm also I a tough spot where I stopped playing for a while and now my technique is garbage.

I've still been playing at least twice a month, just not nearly as much as I used to. And I stopped buying plastic completely, havn't even looked at the new discs out there for a couple years.

Just got back from a decent round this afternoon. Had some nose angle issues, especially FH, but still scored near par. I really like this bag setup, I don't think I'll be changing anything other maybe my putter, and practicing putting a lot more...

I have been trying to play at least once every two weeks if not more. Right now I am having trouble with anything more than fairway drivers. I am trying to keep the buzzz in the bag, so I am determined to get it back into my game. I think putters are the one thing I am going to change as well. I just need to get to the store and get my hands on some. Good luck to you..

I agree, putting is the worst part of my game. I'm thinking of picking up a JK Aviar again for all putting. It's what I started with and I think the other 10 putters I've tried since I lost it just havn't worked quite as well. I've tried the Spike, Pure, Rhyno, Wizard, Magic, Voodoo, Challenger, Banger, Magnet, Birdie, and probably a few others I can't think of. So definitely open for suggestions here, but another JK Aviar is at the top of my list.

Driving with putters is something I almost never do. My grip and release is just more consistent with mids, so 90% of the time I'll throw the Core instead. I do use the Sinus for short hyzers that need to stick and not skip, same with anny's and the Aviar PnA.

I have a hard anny spin putt, so I really like the Sinus, I use it for all putts within 50'. The Aviar PnA is only pulled out for understable approaches and long runs at the basket that the Sinus just can't hit since it's so overstable. But if I go back to the JK Aviar I think I could use it for all lines...

I carry 3 Strikers and 2 XXX since I can't live without them. I have backups for everything except the Halo, and I wouldn't care if I lost it, probably just throw a Wraith back in the bag since I have a couple. The problem is all the backups that aren't in my bag are clear opto...so I need to stop being lazy and dye them :)

If you have tried that many putters, and yet still consider putting to be the weakest part of your game, the best purchase that you could make wouldn't be a disc; it would be a practice basket. Putting at one of these for just 30 minutes a day will improve your game more than anything else will.

Also, I used to use a Drone, but I found that it didn't have much distance. Now I use a Prodigy M1, and I like it much better. It's not quite as overstable as a drone, but it is still plenty overstable for a mid.

I don't use putters for driving either, but a straight flying putter will still make more lines available. Where I live, there are a lot of wooded courses so straight lines may be all that's available on a certain lie.

I tend to argue that anybody that throws a FH needs to have a zone in the bag. The sheer variety of shortgame flicks that are possible with that disc are incredible.

I'm plenty comfortable flicking my Sinus for short approaches that need to stick, the Drone for a bit farther and small skip, or the Trident or XXX for long and big skip.

ManUtd, the sad thing is I do have a practice basket, I just havn't been using it :( Putting used to be the strong part of my game when I only threw FH, but the last few years I've been working on my backhand form so much and I gusss I just forgot about putting.... I think I'd do better if I went back to a JK Aviar, but really with the Sinus when I putt confident I always nail it. I really just need to practice and get more confident and stop thinking about putting so much.

The practice basket is coming out of the shed and into the basement for practice every night, gonna play in the local Ice Bowl tournament next month for my 3rd tourney ever. Hopefully I'll do a little better than the last two :)

ManUtd, the sad thing is I do have a practice basket, I just havn't been using it :( Putting used to be the strong part of my game when I only threw FH, but the last few years I've been working on my backhand form so much and I gusss I just forgot about putting.... I think I'd do better if I went back to a JK Aviar, but really with the Sinus when I putt confident I always nail it. I really just need to practice and get more confident and stop thinking about putting so much.

The practice basket is coming out of the shed and into the basement for practice every night, gonna play in the local Ice Bowl tournament next month for my 3rd tourney ever. Hopefully I'll do a little better than the last two :)

I hear you. Practicing putting isn't always something I do either ;)

Latest posts