• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ball Golf and Honesty

I coach ball golf in high school and there are way too many players who take strokes off their score here and there. I haven't played in many discs tournament but even my friends will add up their scores wrong from time to time. Good article and nice work Tringale, hope others can catch his honesty. The addressing the putt issue and counting a stroke can be difficult in certain conditions and courses.

I'm not real stressed on what other people do as far as their score. In disc golf, and ball golf when I played, I just try to play true to myself. I know when I fudge the rules and I know that an amazing round with 4 mulligans isn't really that amazing. If I thought otherwise, I'd just be lying to myself.

But I'm not a tournament player, a club bag-tag player, or even a coach trying to instill sportsmanship in kids (which is a difficult and laudable task). I just like playing disc golf.

I was telling other players last night how there is more sportsmanship in disc golf than ball golf. I played ball golf for ten years and i hardly ever witnessed sportsmanship. I have been playing disc golf for 4 months and I have witnessed more sportsmanship than any other sport I have played . all around everyone I have met playing disc golf have been the salt of the earth.

I was telling other players last night how there is more sportsmanship in disc golf than ball golf. I played ball golf for ten years and i hardly ever witnessed sportsmanship. I have been playing disc golf for 4 months and I have witnessed more sportsmanship than any other sport I have played . all around everyone I have met playing disc golf have been the salt of the earth.

This is something I have always been proud of about disc golf. The sportsmanship is above any other sport I have watched or played.

When it comes to disc golfers playing by the rules, that's a different story. :)

The integrity of this story makes me smile knowing I've been carded with dudes that can't tell the difference between 3 shots and 4 shots.

Yeah I ran into that at my last tourney. Granted our entire card was way outta cash but we were playing for a CFR champ glow disc to whoever won the card. Came off a brutal par 4 (in INT) where we each ran into some issues and carded some high scores. I played it fairly conservative as I wanted to avoid OB / pine tree jail. Managed to miss my putt and card my 5. Calling scores at the end and another on the card says 5 as well....and I'm wondering wtf...I knew he screwed it up worse than I had. Start thinking about it...and then ask (nicely) is he's sure.

He looked at me like I was being a big $%^&*( but I knew he was wrong. "nope, it was a 5". So I go through his shots...1st landed main fairway. 2nd off fairway in rough. 3rd landed deep in a pine tree just off the green. 4th was from the pine tree but didn't make it out. 5th made it out...but still 20' out. 6th off the cage. Drop in 7.

After I recite each of those he has to "think about it". 30s go by. "oh yeah, it was a 6." I go though the shots again that he had.... Rest of card agrees. "oh - I forgot about the missed putt"...."yeah, its a 7".

How the heck are you 2 off? How can I remember all your shots (and mine) and you can't...even after I recite them to you 2x?

Maybe its just my OCD - but I never have a hard time remembering - especially when I suck up a hole...

I played in a tournament where a guy on our card CONSTANTLY wouldn't add his score up right. Finally just got tired of it (we were playing rec) and said to just be truthful so we don't have to worry about him scrubbing off strokes.

This is really nice to see.

I played in a tournament where a guy on our card CONSTANTLY wouldn't add his score up right. Finally just got tired of it (we were playing rec) and said to just be truthful so we don't have to worry about him scrubbing off strokes.

This is really nice to see.

Hmm, one of the events I was running?

This is something I have always been proud of about disc golf. The sportsmanship is above any other sport I have watched or played.

When it comes to disc golfers playing by the rules, that's a different story. :)

There's rules?:confused:

I dont get this.

So he was putting a tap in, takes a few practice swings, and is "not sure" if he adressed the ball with one of them or not? So he thinks about it for more than a week before coming clean?

I dont play golf often, but you know when you wanna hit the ball and when you are just practiceswinging. He just had a guilt riddled consciense and it took him a week to confess. This is good sportsmanship coming one week too late.

I dont get this.

So he was putting a tap in, takes a few practice swings, and is "not sure" if he adressed the ball with one of them or not? So he thinks about it for more than a week before coming clean?

I dont play golf often, but you know when you wanna hit the ball and when you are just practiceswinging. He just had a guilt riddled consciense and it took him a week to confess. This is good sportsmanship coming one week too late.

Better late than never. I don't understand 100%, and I'm sure someone here will be able to explain better, but I think you can take practice swings until you get into your stance to take the shot (this is unlike DG). Once you address the ball(??) then any club movement is a stroke. He must have moved the club in some way that made him feel like he took a stroke.

but I think you can take practice swings until you get into your stance to take the shot (this is unlike DG). Once you address the ball(??) then any club movement is a stroke. He must have moved the club in some way that made him feel like he took a stroke.

The way my ballgolf friends explained it to me is that you can practice swing as much as you like. It only counts as a stroke if you swing with the intention to hit the ball.

Happens quite often, specially to new players, that you try to hit the ball but swing over it (i know it happened to me about 20 times on my first round...). That is a stroke cause the intention was to hit the ball.

And that is what is confusing me... Specially when putting a tap in. You know if you had the intention to hit or not. If you have to think about it for a week, something is fishy.

What does "check" the swing mean?

The link you gave says exactly what I said, that it's the intent that counts. Except for the part where i dont know what "checking a swing" means.

What does "check" the swing mean?

The link you gave says exactly what I said, that it's the intent that counts. Except for the part where i dont know what "checking a swing" means.

I believe it means stopping the swing short of completion (contact). Comes from or the concept is shared with baseball in which a batter "checks" his swing if he starts it but stops before completing it or making contact with the pitch.

I believe it means stopping the swing short of completion (contact). Comes from or the concept is shared with baseball in which a batter "checks" his swing if he starts it but stops before completing it or making contact with the pitch.

Or, as the link explains, altering the path of the swing to avoid contact with the ball. Whereas in baseball, that would be called "breaking the plane" and be considered an unchecked swing. So golf is more lenient on what a checked swing is.

Latest posts