• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Banger-GT for actual Putting

TheKohn

so I've been playing disc golf for a about 7 months now and i have fallen in love with the banger-gt. i have 2 ESP and one Glow soft-x and really like them. but as i read about them more and more it seems there are others who also rally like the disc but most people use them for drivers and upshots and not actual putting. i seem to do alright putting with them, i get some bounce outs every now and then,

so whats everyones opinion? do you like the disc? and if you do, do you use it for actual putting? if not what disc would you recommend for actual putting?

Ive recently gone to an odd set up, I putt with my worn banger (soft) and often times drive with an S anode. it may be from my putter getting beat in and beginning to become less stable. so lately I have been putting only with my banger

I starting putting with pro-d bangers exclusively earlier this year. I like them a whole lot. Not only are they nice and overstable for a putter...but the groove top just gives me extra confidence in where my grip pressure and thumb placement should be. With other putters I was always searching for that perfect spot..this way my thumb is always in the same place - which helped the consistency of my release tremendously. I find they hold a line better than any putter I've tried. Especially good for hyzer lines.

Of course, they are great for upshots and driving too. I used to carry 3 different putter molds for different shots. Now I just carry 2 bangers.. 1 that is slightly worn for throwing..and 1 that is nearly new for putting.

I starting putting with pro-d bangers exclusively earlier this year. I like them a whole lot. Not only are they nice and overstable for a putter...but the groove top just gives me extra confidence in where my grip pressure and thumb placement should be. With other putters I was always searching for that perfect spot..this way my thumb is always in the same place - which helped the consistency of my release tremendously. I find they hold a line better than any putter I've tried. Especially good for hyzer lines.

Of course, they are great for upshots and driving too. I used to carry 3 different putter molds for different shots. Now I just carry 2 bangers.. 1 that is slightly worn for throwing..and 1 that is nearly new for putting.

what you said is actually exactly how id describe why i like the disc. i have the same problem trying to figure out the perfect grip and with the GT top its just one less thing to worry or think about when i go to putt. i may have to pick up a Pro-D one. but i kinda like the soft-x for my actual putting and the ESP for the upshots.

I'm a huge fan and have recently been phasing out my soft magnets for pure Banger goodness. I currently have 3 softs in varying states of wear, but I'm phasing out the real beat one to just use the two newer ones. To use the banger effectively as a putter, I've had to get aggressive with my putts. As that was my goal, they fit my new style perfectly. I don't like ESP ones for putting as they're too overstable, but I plan to try a Pro D ASAP.

I'm a huge fan and have recently been phasing out my soft magnets for pure Banger goodness. I currently have 3 softs in varying states of wear, but I'm phasing out the real beat one to just use the two newer ones. To use the banger effectively as a putter, I've had to get aggressive with my putts. As that was my goal, they fit my new style perfectly. I don't like ESP ones for putting as they're too overstable, but I plan to try a Pro D ASAP.

yes the same for me. for just starting out I'm still trying out a lot of different things. I've tried the push putt but i just do a lot better with a spin putt. before the banger i threw magics and then wizard. right now i use my esp more just because I'm trying to keep the glow soft-x i got from you in good shape lol. i need to buy a lot of soft-x ones

I had a brief affair with the banger. I really liked it for putting, but my hands are small, so when it came to driving them the grip was a little funny feeling for me. Great putter though. A lot of people use them with great success.

yes the same for me. for just starting out I'm still trying out a lot of different things. I've tried the push putt but i just do a lot better with a spin putt. before the banger i threw magics and then wizard. right now i use my esp more just because I'm trying to keep the glow soft-x i got from you in good shape lol. i need to buy a lot of soft-x ones

Lol you got the ESP from me, not the glow! The only reason I'm not throwing my glow is that I read somewhere that they only made 250 of them and that's it.

I had a brief affair with the banger. I really liked it for putting, but my hands are small, so when it came to driving them the grip was a little funny feeling for me. Great putter though. A lot of people use them with great success.

I love them for short, thread the needle type approach shots 75 - 150ft long. A newer soft will hold that straight line then give you that dependable fade at the end so you don't overshoot.

I have had a few here and there and I will say that I have never been disappointed with a Banger. They are very solid discs. The softs beat in quick so putting is not a big deal, and the higher end plastic discs are great for driving.

as far as using it as a putter, it depends on what you prefer. i tried it breifly when they first came out, and i wasnt a fan of them, so i got rid of them ASAP. I have been thinking about picking it back up for a mid-range only cause i dont want to ruin my E-Mac challenger that ive been using.

I know this is a really old thread, but I recently got a Jawbreaker Banger-GT, and in limited use, loving it as a putting putter, and wonder if others are putting with it? I got another one ordered, so I can have two and get in more work quicker, but so far, with an aggressive spin putt, it seems super straight! I had two Soft Banger-GTs, and they were very straight at times, but other times they tip a little left or right on me (I think because the soft is a little floppy, I don't always get a level release?), and then would also often glide way past the basket. Again, limited use so far, but the Jawbreaker seems to release flat way more consistently, and doesn't glide as far away from the basket when I do miss. For reference, my preferred putter was a Soft Magnet, and more recently I was using Fierce, but I am pretty confident that with just a little work with the Jawbreaker Banger-GTs, I can easily beat my old make percentages. I prefer to putt straight, need a consistent flyer, and with a hard spin putt, with plenty of spin, this thing seems laser beam straight! I have about 50 putters - been searching hard for "the one" - nothing close to as straight as this one. Note: if I don't put enough spin on it, then it will not fly the same straight line - almost like it is a different disc. Anyone with input for me? Thank you!

Your experience seems to match mine. Very straight with a spin putt.

The reason I stopped using them was I was trying to putt and drive with the same exact disc. And the jawbreaker bangers beat up too fast in the woods. That was mostly stupid on my part. I've now given in to carrying pure putting putters.

I've also finally given in to the "firmer putters are better for consistent release". So I'd probably spend some time trying to find some CT blend bangers. And then just be sad about how rare they are.

But yea, I miss that thumb groove. Always knew exactly how I was going to grip the disc.

Latest posts