• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bardu's Bag 2017

Bardu

* Ace Member *
Here's how my bag looks heading into 2017:

Drivers
154 Starlite Wraith
167 Star Sidewinder
167 12x Champ Firebird
167 X-Out Champ TeeBird
171 Star TeeBird
168 Echo Star TeeBird

Midrange
169 Z Buzzz
176 KC Pro Roc
177 DX Roc

Putters
171 S Ion
172 S Wizard
175 Fossil Wizard
165 M Wizard
175 Organic Wizard
175 Organic Wizard

Pretty streamlined and straight forward. Most of these discs have been with me for quite some time. There are still some outliers (Wraith, Buzzz, Ion) but they have all been with me long enough to earn a permanent spot in the bag. No reason to change horses midstream. I intend to stick to speed 9 or less this year, especially during casual rounds.

I've been happy with the additions from 2016: Fossil Wizard, the Rocs, Star Sidewinder and the Wraith.

Looking forward to using the new Echo Star TeeBird that I picked up. I intend to use it as my main TeeBird until it is seasoned.

Major drop from the bag is the Destroyers. I just don't feel like they have anything to offer to me that I can't get out of my Firebird. And this follows my plan of sticking to lower speed discs.

I also have an odd duck Champ "Sidewinder" that I played with early in 2016 that as it turns out is not a Sidewinder at all, but a mis-stamped OLS. The plastic is some great feeling JL and it is a nice flat disc. Only time will tell if it makes its way into the bag.

Nice setup. Im working on maybe adding a drive putter or two. Just so use to powering down the mid.

EcoStar is slowly becoming my fav star plastic. Just a touch of tackiness to it.

I also have an odd duck Champ "Sidewinder" that I played with early in 2016 that as it turns out is not a Sidewinder at all, but a mis-stamped OLS. The plastic is some great feeling JL and it is a nice flat disc. Only time will tell if it makes its way into the bag.

Wondering if my Champion Sidewinder is really the same...

I did forget to mention that I have a fantastic pair of PWP Wizards that will be introduced this year as well. I don't plan on putting them into the bag right away but I will break them in as practice putters just as I did with the Organics.

EcoStar is slowly becoming my fav star plastic. Just a touch of tackiness to it.

I'm pretty darn excited to throw that TeeBird! I've never had anything in EchoStar before.

Wondering if my Champion Sidewinder is really the same...

Did you see Marmoset's post in the Champ Sidewinder thread? That is how I was able to identify mine.

You already know I dig your bag Bardu. Maybe this year I'll work on adding in something higher speed, star sidewinder is high on the list. I've thrown Teebirds for years, the only plastic I haven't thrown them in is gstar and echostar. Heck, never even had an echostar disc, so echostar Teebird is on the list too. Anyway, looks good and keep posting here as I'll be checking in to see how you progress this year.

Did you see Marmoset's post in the Champ Sidewinder thread? That is how I was able to identify mine.

Yes I did, and thanks for pointing it out. My vision is poor, but even with a magnifying glass, I'm only seeing one line where the molds met, so it's a Sidewinder. Just one that wants to be relatively (over)stable, I guess. The JL plastic is nice, it's bright pink and easy to find, and I do like throwing it, so this 'rose by any other name' is staying in the bag.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Why the ion?

Really, the Ion is just in there because its the second oldest disc that I've still got. There's alot of overlap with the Wizard and I'll use Wizard for 99% of those shots.

The only spot I still haven't filled is something for FH distance that could also double as a wind fighting distance driver. PD or OLF are on the short list, so if anyone wants to try to sell me on one, be my guest. :D The less overlap with the Firebird the better and if the stock runs are awesome and I don't have to go searching for OOP plastic, thats also a bonus.

The only spot I still haven't filled is something for FH distance that could also double as a wind fighting distance driver. PD or OLF are on the short list, so if anyone wants to try to sell me on one, be my guest. :D The less overlap with the Firebird the better and if the stock runs are awesome and I don't have to go searching for OOP plastic, thats also a bonus.

Don't have any that I would like to sell since i only have a few of my own, but the new run of OLF is fantastic across the board. The MOLF 1.3 is my favorite of the current plastic runs, very nice plastic for pro and starts out fairly overstable out of the box. They have more turn than the PD i used to have so that should help keep them from overlapping your firebird.

I like your setup, while i don't throw many of the same molds (love the Wizard and Teebird), I like Wraiths, the Buzzz is nice, and I'm really tempted to get a sidewinder here soon

Don't have any that I would like to sell since i only have a few of my own, but the new run of OLF is fantastic across the board. The MOLF 1.3 is my favorite of the current plastic runs, very nice plastic for pro and starts out fairly overstable out of the box. They have more turn than the PD i used to have so that should help keep them from overlapping your firebird.

I like your setup, while i don't throw many of the same molds (love the Wizard and Teebird), I like Wraiths, the Buzzz is nice, and I'm really tempted to get a sidewinder here soon

Thanks! That's kinda what I was hoping to hear. Hopefully it will be a good disc for me grow into. I'll try to hunt for a couple.

Thanks! That's kinda what I was hoping to hear. Hopefully it will be a good disc for me grow into. I'll try to hunt for a couple.

GGGT and Marshall street have em maybe Infinite, they sometimes have em. It's the run with the spartan looking shillouette holding a javelin

Drivers
167 Star Sidewinder- seasoned

175 Sexton Color Glow Firebird- beat
167 12x Champ Firebird- beat

167 X-Out Champ TeeBird- beat
171 Star TeeBird- beat
168 Echo Star TeeBird- new

Midrange
175 2x Champ Roc3- beat
176 KC Pro Roc- beat
177 DX Roc- new

Putters
172 S Wizard- beat
175 Fossil Wizard- seasoned
165 M Wizard- beat
175 Organic Wizard- beat
175 Organic Wizard- beat

I simplified my bag a bit and cut the Wraith, Buzzz, and Ion. Added a Roc3 as a more stable Roc, love it. Sadly, I lost the DX Roc that I'd been working on last season. I also signed up for a PDGA number.

I played my first tournament of the year yesterday. I didn't play particularly well but I had a lot of fun. Here's how my bag looked.

Drivers
167 Star Sidewinder- beat

167 11x Champ TeeBird- seasoned
171 Star TeeBird- beat

Midrange
175 2x Champ Roc3- beat
176 KC Pro Roc- beat
177 DX Roc- new

Putters
172 S Wizard- beat
165 M Wizard- beat
175 Organic Wizard- beat
175 Organic Wizard- beat

I didn't throw the new DX Roc once, relying on the Roc3 and KC instead. I also threw the Sexton Firebird for alot of my utility shots over the regular champ. I did struggle to get fade out of the Sidewinders. This is the only hole I felt in the bag- something that can equal the distance of a Sidewinder, but will fade more consistently. I am thinking about a Champ Sidewinder or a Valk of some sort. Something with as small a rim as possible. I have been able to get a beat Beast up to speed, but other discs in that class I don't have enough power to get a full range of flights out of.

I think a Valk would sit nicely between the Firebirds and Sidewinders; have you considered a Discmania CD2? I believe I heard it has the same wing as a Sidewinder with one of Discmania's tops, so it might feel comfortable in the hand and allow you to really play with release angles and get some good distance.

I didn't throw the new DX Roc once, relying on the Roc3 and KC instead. I also threw the Sexton Firebird for alot of my utility shots over the regular champ. I did struggle to get fade out of the Sidewinders. This is the only hole I felt in the bag- something that can equal the distance of a Sidewinder, but will fade more consistently. I am thinking about a Champ Sidewinder or a Valk of some sort. Something with as small a rim as possible. I have been able to get a beat Beast up to speed, but other discs in that class I don't have enough power to get a full range of flights out of.

You might try a Viking or, as you said, a Valkyrie. I have a Champion Sidewinder that I pair with my Star Sidewinder. The Champ SW gives me some fade and I use it into the wind (not all that strong winds, though). The Star Sidewinder is my stable-to-understable control driver.

I played my first tournament of the year yesterday. I didn't play particularly well but I had a lot of fun. Here's how my bag looked.

Drivers
167 Star Sidewinder- beat

167 11x Champ TeeBird- seasoned
171 Star TeeBird- beat

Midrange
175 2x Champ Roc3- beat
176 KC Pro Roc- beat
177 DX Roc- new

Putters
172 S Wizard- beat
165 M Wizard- beat
175 Organic Wizard- beat
175 Organic Wizard- beat

We've always had pretty similar bags. I think something like a Valk would do great for you. I throw Escapes, which are basically the same thing. I would even suggest that it'd could take over the Sidewinders as your main distance driver, because you'll have confidence it'll fade out.

Thanks! I've already picked up a Champ Sidewinder on the marketplace. I'll try to find a Star and Champ Valk as well.

Got to throw around the Twin Cities this weekend, I just love the courses up there. I learned a few things about my bag. One is Champ Sidewinder is just fine for the role I was looking for. It isn't much different than my Star, but seems easier to coax fade out of. I may still try a Valk for s-curves. I did find two holes in my bag. I do not have a mid that can go dead straight and finish right. My DX Roc is still pretty new in fact it is more stable than my KC Pro. Until I can beat it in or find a beat Roc thrower, I am going to put the Buzzz back in to handle these shots. The second disc I felt I was missing is something stable that I can trust not to turn over on long downhills. I get most of my distance from form/finesse (thus the Sidewinder), but there were several holes that I encountered that were huge downhills with wind that it would have been really nice to have a disc that I could really throw as hard as I could, maybe force into a flex line, and be able to trust the fade to come back. I've used Destroyers on this shot in the past, but I wasn't getting them up to speed and I still think that is too much disc for me. Anyone think a PD or OLF could handle this shot? I used a Firebird on one of the holes and it held up fine, but there is a distance cap on Firebirds. Not a shot that will be needed every round, but it would still be nice to have available.

Is there any reason you don't throw Thunderbirds? A Star Thunderbird might be just the right mix of stability and speed to handle that sort of shot.