• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Basket Lights for Disc Golf

jimbosprint

Double Eagle Member
In an effort to light our baskets better for night golf, I came up with this for a fairly reasonable price ~$7 per basket. Glow sticks are toast after one use, but these should last years.

Cheap solar yard lights ($3ea) and galvanized utility wire ($9/100') from the hardware store. Throw away the stake for the lights and cut off all the extra plastic at the bottom of the lens with a hacksaw. Wrap the wire around the lens and hang inside the chains at the top.

Doesn't seem to interfere with putts at all. Pics are my M-14, but they work fine on Mach IIIs too. I haven't tried other baskets.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Basket-SolarYardLights.jpg
    Basket-SolarYardLights.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 403
i made some cheap red solar walkway lights for the top of our baskets for glow but they didnt last long, half of them would be very dim by the time we were half done
it might have been better with a better light
they use 2 different size batts, if you get the ones with the standard size batts AA or AAA it would be cheap to replace them with reg batts
i got the ones with a weird batt
i will take a pic of what i made, they turned out pretty well
they go were the # plate fits, and we just got # plates, so i cant use them now anyway

The lights I used are the ones with a AA battery. They aren't great rechargeable batteries, but they're good enough, especially for the price. The trick to making them last is to fully charge them by taking the batteries out at night for the first few days before using them.

Here is a pic of the lights I made.
They just sit on top, so they can be removed after the glow round.

Attachments

• IMAG0047-1.jpg
    IMAG0047-1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 100
What would be nifty is some temporary lights so vandalism isn't an issue. You could easily get someone to set them up prior to the glow round just by waiving all or part of the league fee or let them in on an ace pool without paying or whatever. There are some disadvantages to this like needing a place to store the lights between rounds which I could see being annoying if there are 18. :p

I wonder if there is a bright LED option because those little guys emit a lot of light and aren't very big.

-Dave

What would be nifty is some temporary lights so vandalism isn't an issue. You could easily get someone to set them up prior to the glow round just by waiving all or part of the league fee or let them in on an ace pool without paying or whatever. There are some disadvantages to this like needing a place to store the lights between rounds which I could see being annoying if there are 18. :p

I wonder if there is a bright LED option because those little guys emit a lot of light and aren't very big.

-Dave

^^^^^^
this how my glow rounds are run
i set up before we start, then i always put myself on the last card, and carry a bucket with me and tear down as we go
i use these red glowsticks, hanging on a cord in the basket, middle of the chains

we use NO WHITE lights

Great Ideas!

Playing with my first two course pros from 30 years ago last evening as it was really getting dark. Talked of lighting the baskets in addition to the nearby athletic field lights throughout the park, which should make The SPC a great course for night play, including tournaments. #8, The Valley of the 1000 foot Shadow might need additional lights along the way.

We never light the baskets. The baskets can be very hard to see at times but thats part of the fun. Its night golf.

Solar lights tend to get smashed up pretty easily

These are temporary lights used just during night golf, they aren't left out on the course all the time. They are very easy to put up and take down. It's a private course, so we are lucky that we can drive a golf cart out onto the course to install them before the round.

When we were putting them on top of the basket they got smashed up, but there hasn't been any issues with them hanging inside the chains loose so that they swing when they get hit.

These are temporary lights used just during night golf, they aren't left out on the course all the time. They are very easy to put up and take down. It's a private course, so we are lucky that we can drive a golf cart out onto the course to install them before the round.

When we were putting them on top of the basket they got smashed up, but there hasn't been any issues with them hanging inside the chains loose so that they swing when they get hit.

If I could use a golf cart to install them before each round I would do that as well....pretty cool

In an effort to light our baskets better for night golf, I came up with this for a fairly reasonable price ~$7 per basket. Glow sticks are toast after one use, but these should last years.

Cheap solar yard lights ($3ea) and galvanized utility wire ($9/100') from the hardware store. Throw away the stake for the lights and cut off all the extra plastic at the bottom of the lens with a hacksaw. Wrap the wire around the lens and hang inside the chains at the top.

Doesn't seem to interfere with putts at all. Pics are my M-14, but they work fine on Mach IIIs too. I haven't tried other baskets.

Lights looks awesome.. I will try to get similar lights..Thanks for sharing such lovely pics

Cheap solar panels ($3ea) and galvanized utility wire ($9/100') from the hardware store. Throw away the stake for the lights and cut off all the extra plastic at the bottom of the lens with a hacksaw. Wrap the wire around the lens and hang inside the chains at the top.

Lights looks awesome.. I will try to get similar lights..Thanks for sharing such lovely pics
Got similar lights so thanks again

These cost $4 each at Home Depot, or $3.50 at Cabela's. They come in red, orange, green and blue, and the whole tube lights up with a soft glow that's easy to see from the tee pad. Easy to hang from the top of the basket with the lanyard, easy to remove when you're done.

I don't know exactly how long the batteries last, but it's a pretty decent while. Woudn't doubt you can buy them by the dozen for less - and the button cell batteries can be bought on the cheap if you look around.

Attachments

• LED light stick.jpg
    LED light stick.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
^Forgot to mention, according to Energizer:
This glow stick has a 1 hour auto-shutoff. If yours isn't staying on that long, please contact our customer support team at 800-383-7323 and they will arrange a replacement for you.

So after an hour, you just have to turn it on again.

I got 18 of those cheapo 9 LED flashlights at Fry's for $0.50 each. Bought a box of carabiners off Amazon for like $1-2 a piece. Next time I put together a glow event, I got it covered. Thinking of putting some red tailight repair film over the flashlights. There's a lot of white lights on many courses, red stands out the best, imo.

I got 18 of those cheapo 9 LED flashlights at Fry's for $0.50 each. Bought a box of carabiners off Amazon for like $1-2 a piece. Next time I put together a glow event, I got it covered. Thinking of putting some red tailight repair film over the flashlights. There's a lot of white lights on many courses, red stands out the best, imo.

The guys who run our weekly GLOW league did the same thing, bought 18 of those LED flashlights and carabiners to attach them to the basket. We have had on average of 14-20 people come out and play so we start on diff baskets and each group takes out a few lights to place during the walk, works great!

Just bought some Glow vinyl tape (1" x 15 feet) rolls to place on the poles at my local course. Gonna see how that works with some sun and then a quick charge whenever I play there. Supposed to be fully charged after 5 minutes, so they say. Have some on my practice basket at home as well.

^^^^^^
this how my glow rounds are run
i set up before we start, then i always put myself on the last card, and carry a bucket with me and tear down as we go
i use these red glowsticks, hanging on a cord in the basket, middle of the chains

we use NO WHITE lights

I am getting ready for our first glow round of the season.:hfive:

Time to put the batts. back in these babies.

The ones on the cords hang in the baskets center chains, and the other ones are hung on trees to mark fairway gaps etc.

Attachments

• IMAG0051.jpg
    IMAG0051.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 33

Latest posts