• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best body type for Disc Golf?

So, my curiosity has been heightened recently on the optimum body configuration for disc golf. I am just curious about what would be the best height/weight/BMI/wing span/whatever else you can think of biologically that could contribute to a better disc golfer.

Thoughts about genetics or exercises to produce most desired body features one would need to score well on the course are welcome.

If anyone has ideas on more than just maximum distance (i.e accuracy, putting, shot shaping, etc) that would be great.

In my opinion, disc golf isn't like many other sports when it comes to having that perfect genetic build. It seems, as long as you're decently athletic you can chunk a disc, and sometimes from what I've seen that doesn't even matter.

In my opinion, disc golf isn't like many other sports when it comes to having that perfect genetic build. It seems, as long as you're decently athletic you can chunk a disc, and sometimes from what I've seen that doesn't even matter.

Agree. I see big fellas, little fellas and all shapes in between that have crazy game. It's all about technique and metal preparedness. That said...Wysocki's build is probably ideal for being athletically gifted at disc golf

Flexibility is a big deal, that's typically easier for people not carrying extra weight, and long limbs allow some level of mobility despite flexibility shortcomings, but guys like Avery and GG show that you don't have to be thin with long arms to throw far.

I've also played with 75 year olds who could barely walk who putted way better than I do, so I doubt body type is all that important there.

Any body type can do well--even guys that would be considered obese can perform well. However, I think those that are lanky have a natural advantage. Just from observation, seeing the arc of improvement for beginners, those that are tall and skinny seem to have the fastest growth in ability, especially where distance is concerned. I think it comes down to physics of the long arms and fingers increasing the trebuchet effect. Guys like Climo and Stokely, and more modern, Wysocki and Schusterick, definitely have an advantage with their physique. But, it makes me appreciate the abilities of smaller guys like McBeth and Nikko that much more.

It would seem like long arms and big hands would be advantages in terms of build, but in the real world it doesn't seem to work out that way.

McBeast and Nikko aren't big guys at all, but they bomb. Paige Pierce looks like a stiff breeze would blow her away, but I've seen her park a couple of holes during the Wide Open that most men didn't reach... seriously. Val Jenkins has personal endowments that seem like they'd affect her reach back, but she bombs way far.

I guess for pure distance, having longer leverage points would be a natural advantage but for overall game it doesn't really seem to matter. Good form and timing are the great equalizers.

Tennis/Ping Pong: Handedness Same
Baseball (Batting): Handedness Reversed

I naturally prefer BH I'm Ping Pong in tennis, and bat LH in Baseball. I am 90%/10% BH/FH on the course.

KanJam is great all around practice for disc golf as well.

I remember thinking how wide the range of body types with great skills can be when I watched the Final 9 at a Florida tourney in 1996 with Ken Climo, Steve Slasor, David Greenwell and Brad Hammock.

Watching the latest Central Coast vid (round 4 chase card), Ian mentioned that if a genetics lab got a contract to engineer the ideal disc golfer they'd likely produce Big Jerm.

I think natural athletic coordination for your body type plus the drive to put in the effort to make it to the top are the key genetic ingredients.

I think the long arms are probably an advantage. If your body has the power to whip them around, the leverage on the disc would be much greater. Climo, Lizotte, and Wysocki seem to have it. But- being a game of technique, the other guys aren't much behind them- they just haven't had to work on their technique as much to get similar results. I bet if the smaller guys started driving farther than Lizotte, he would bust his ass on technique and catch them.

Tall people can throw far more easily than us shorties.

That is one truism I have learned in my years of disc golf.

Tall people with good hip rotation is the key. That's why PP and McBeth can bomb without being tall with long arms.

I have a 6'7" friend who just tosses effortlessly out to about 300' with barely any reach back. If he puts torsion in his hips, he will bomb a hyzer flip.

Latest posts