• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best disc golf city in the country?

Big changes since our last post:
- Dallas was at 10 courses 3.75+. They dropped to 8.
- Minneapolis increased to 8 at 3.75+ to tie Dallas.
- Austin lost Circle R Meadow and Hill, dropping to 3 at 4.0+ and 6 at 3.75+.
- Denver jumped from 4 courses at 4.0+ to take the lead with 6 courses at 4.0+.
- Newcomer Augusta Maine ties Denver with 6 courses at 4.0+.
- Minneapolis increased to 53 courses in the DGCR 25-mile search, staying ahead of Charlotte who increased to 47.

With 6 courses at 4.0+ and 7 at 3.75+, I think a case can be made for Augusta ME as the best overall location. Discuss.

meccas.jpg

Notes:
- 5 reviews required for 3.75+ and 4.0+ categories.
- 0 reviews required for total courses.
- I have previously checked several ZIP codes in each metro to find the one with the best numbers. I didn't do that this time -- I just stayed with the same ZIP. If you can find a better ZIP for your metro, let me know.
- Shut up with your private courses. If it's not listed on DGCR, it doesn't count for this thread.
- I know the DGCR 25-mile search covers more than 25 miles. I don't care to check exactly how many fall within 25.0 miles, as it's just not that important.

I must be missing something. The zip code for Downtown Dallas is 75201. Put that zip code in yields 5 courses within 25 miles rated 4+ : Turner, Lorch Beaver, Lorch Coyote, Towne Lake, and Harry Myers. Plus there are 3 rated 3.95 or higher knocking on the door: Veterans, Crossroads, and Lewisville Lake Park. With Bill Allen at 3.76, that makes 9.
And that doesn't count the Ft Worth side of town.

I must be missing something. The zip code for Downtown Dallas is 75201. Put that zip code in yields 5 courses within 25 miles rated 4+ : Turner, Lorch Beaver, Lorch Coyote, Towne Lake, and Harry Myers. Plus there are 3 rated 3.95 or higher knocking on the door: Veterans, Crossroads, and Lewisville Lake Park. With Bill Allen at 3.76, that makes 9.
And that doesn't count the Ft Worth side of town.

DFW is the number one reason I feel a 25 mile radius is insufficient. Putting either downtown Dallas or downtown Ft. Worth at the center won't even reach the other downtown area, as they're 30 miles apart, even with a solidly urban area in between them.

But its not my thread, so not my rules.

DFW is the number one reason I feel a 25 mile radius is insufficient. Putting either downtown Dallas or downtown Ft. Worth at the center won't even reach the other downtown area, as they're 30 miles apart, even with a solidly urban area in between them.

The counter is that DFW area is so congested that 25 miles is plenty of radius when considering an "area". I mean, a course 25 miles away in Topeka is a helluva lot closer than a course 25 miles away in Dallas.

I must be missing something.

This is the part you missed, where I said (and you quoted):
"
- I have previously checked several ZIP codes in each metro to find the one with the best numbers. I didn't do that this time -- I just stayed with the same ZIP. If you can find a better ZIP for your metro, let me know.
"

And Towne Lake doesn't come up when I do a 25-mile search on 75201. Or maybe I'm missing something. If you're seeing it, perhaps the search results are inconsistent.

However, Garland at 75040 hits all 5 you mention at 4.0+, and has 9 at 3.75+, so I'll use that for my DFW ZIP unless someone finds a better one.

I'm happy to have a separate Ft Worth ZIP if somebody wants to nominate one with impressive stats.

This is the part you missed, where I said (and you quoted):

And Towne Lake doesn't come up when I do a 25-mile search on 75201. Or maybe I'm missing something. If you're seeing it, perhaps the search results are inconsistent.

However, Garland at 75040 hits all 5 you mention at 4.0+, and has 9 at 3.75+, so I'll use that for my DFW ZIP unless someone finds a better one.

I'm happy to have a separate Ft Worth ZIP if somebody wants to nominate one with impressive stats.

75205, is also downtown Dallas.

How about this angle?

Trumbull County Ohio has a population of 209,000 and by spring 2013 will have 49 disc golf holes between four courses. Making a holes per person count of 4265 per person or a course for every 52250 residents. Maybe a candidate for most course per capita.

Minneapolis & St. Paul have a great disc scene. I'm from MN and always have a new course to play...or at least get a course in that wasn't threre when I lived there. Living in the South I've had the chance to play in Charlotte, Atlanta and Augusta area. They all have their own great courses.

However I would still live in a smaller community with a 4-5 above average courses before living in a major metro area.

I agree with this. There are at least 60 courses within the metro area. Plus, Minnesota nice is alive and well when you meet people on the courses. And, almost all courses are open year round, even with snow on the ground. There is a large group of twilight disc golfers in there area and many night leages. Most small towns throughout MN have been putting in courses to attract more people to lesser used parks. If you are in the area, the premier parks are Blue Ribbon Pines, Kaposia, Bryant Lake, Acorn, Theo Wirth, and Fort Snelling.

Updated list as-of today:
meccas-2013-08-02_zpse6f78d6f.jpg

Same disclaimers as always:
- 5 reviews required for 3.75+ and 4.0+ categories.
- 0 reviews required for total courses.
- Shut up with your private courses. If it's not listed on DGCR, it doesn't count for this thread.
- Searches performed with the 25-mile radius feature. I know it covers more than 25 miles. I don't care to check exactly how many fall within 25.0 miles, as it's just not that important.
- If a city is listed twice, there is likely overlap between them. I list a city more than once if a 2nd ZIP code has more courses but fewer quality courses.

I live in Denver, there is no way Denver should even be considered as a top location. We have no trees or water in Denver. Notice I said "Denver" not Colorado.
IMO there is only one 18+ course in the Denver metro area that could make any points list.
"Colorado Heights University".

The majority of courses in the Denver metro area are 9 holer's. If you want a true DG 18+ course you're talking about 1-3 hr one-way drive outside of the Denver metro area within the state of Colorado.

During the work week afternoon games you are limited in the Denver Metro area. Now, if you want to do a 1 or 2 day DG weekend, there are some very enjoyable courses in "Colorado". As a whole, I feel that "Denver" courses are very overrated, just look at the photo media of the courses and count how many open field throws you see.

Last edited:
Just for fun, I plotted the locations of your list against mine. Yours is based on having a lot of quality courses within a roughly 2000 square mile area. Mine is based on having a lot of courses really close by a single spot, regardless of rating.

A couple of observations:

Yours shows St. Louis, while mine doesn't. This highlights the difference on methods. While there are a lot of courses around St, Louis, there just isn't any one point where you can live next to a lot of them. (To be fair, mine is a little out of date. There may be enough new courses in St. Louis now to crack my top 60.)

Also, your Minneapolis-ish is out in Buffalo. It includes courses from both St. Cloud and the Twin Cities, (see the red dots) but not many courses actually within a half hour's drive. No one from St. Cloud or the Twin Cities would consider moving to Buffalo to be able to play more disc golf.

attachment.php

Attachments

• TwoMethods.jpg
    TwoMethods.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 158
I like Steve's better, he included the Triangle. Not to mention we're getting around 6 new courses in within the next year.

Sounds like a race for Stan and I to add ours. Only problem is I don't want to have mine listed here until I feel it is 3.5-4 disc quality. So, might be a year + before it shows up on one of these reports, as it is played, worked and improved.

I live in Denver, there is no way Denver should even be considered as a top location. We have no trees or water in Denver. Notice I said "Denver" not Colorado.
IMO there is only one 18+ course in the Denver metro area that could make any points list.
"Colorado Heights University".

The majority of courses in the Denver metro area are 9 holer's. If you want a true DG 18+ course you're talking about 1-3 hr one-way drive outside of the Denver metro area within the state of Colorado.

During the work week afternoon games you are limited in the Denver Metro area. Now, if you want to do a 1 or 2 day DG weekend, there are some very enjoyable courses in "Colorado". As a whole, I feel that "Denver" courses are very overrated, just look at the photo media of the courses and count how many open field throws you see.

I live in Breckenridge Colorado and spend many days playing in Denver. I have never played a 9 hole course there. I like Denver for this list. Lots of great choices:

David Lorenz Park Centennial, CO
East Interlocken Park Broomfield, CO
Johnny Roberts DGC Arvada, CO
Lakewood Dry Gulch Denver, CO
Westminster DGC Westminster, CO

These 5 are all 18 hole courses with varied terrain and varied shots required to do well. Trees and Water are present on all of these courses.

Last edited: